Officials, academics, students brainstorm for education reform

webfact

“ 'The government allocates a large budget to the Education Ministry ever year but the result is still not satisfactory. This can be seen as Thailand’s education is now ranked eighth among ASEAN members,' said Adm Chumnum"

The solution is easy. Establish higher standards for teachers, administrators, passing grades, and criteria for promoting students. Plus, institute an effective and challenging curriculum. 

The difficult part is to change the age-old mindset of the education system. First, fire all the administrators and teachers and have them reapply for their old positions  under newly established higher standards. If they fail to meet those standards,then have them go back to school in order for them to improve their educational skills.  Most likely the system is going to have to hire educators from outside of Thailand to fill the enormous void left by the presently unqualified personnel taking up space in front of the classrooms and in the administrative offices.

Most likely, the the first concern of this new brainstorming session is: "How do we make changes without anyone losing face".

Just a side note: The photo is of a very large class. How come most of the students appear to be focusing on something other than what is going on in front of the classroom?

What would you say is a 'standard ' when referring to higher standards. Teachers in Thailand already require a 5 year bachelors in education and pass numerous tests before attaining employment and a teaching license. Administrators and supervisors also need to meet these requirements.

I presume the photo is of either the brainstorming session or a test. The fact that they have bags would suggest the brainstorming!

The biggest problem is with the administration and MOE protecting the cushy jobs. An article in today's BKK post. Page 5 "Deans oppose plans to open up teaching " says a lot about the education mindset. Example : see picture

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Brainstorming about education among Thai is likely nothing more than slight whimpering breeze.

+1 Fiddlesticks! A bunch of Thai school children who have not been taught how to think for themselves and have been taught to not question are put in a room with teachers and administrators who have limited capacity to think for themselves. clap2.gif cheesy.gif  Must have been an extremely productive day. coffee1.gif  

"What would you say is a 'standard ' when referring to higher standards. Teachers in Thailand already require a 5 year bachelors in education and pass numerous tests before attaining employment and a teaching license. Administrators and supervisors also need to meet these requirements."

Because TIT. A "5 year bachelors in education" degree can be purchased. Passing numerous tests, the answers to which probably can be purchased. If you have a rich daddy all of the above can probably be purchased.

From what I have heard and seen, there are a lot of incompetent, lazy teachers and administrators in the Thai school system. So it seems to me that the current standards are not adequate to insure quality teachers and administrators. And, the Thai education ranking among other countries of the world seems to prove my point. coffee1.gif 

"What would you say is a 'standard ' when referring to higher standards. Teachers in Thailand already require a 5 year bachelors in education and pass numerous tests before attaining employment and a teaching license. Administrators and supervisors also need to meet these requirements."

Because TIT. A "5 year bachelors in education" degree can be purchased. Passing numerous tests, the answers to which probably can be purchased. If you have a rich daddy all of the above can probably be purchased.

From what I have heard and seen, there are a lot of incompetent, lazy teachers and administrators in the Thai school system. So it seems to me that the current standards are not adequate to insure quality teachers and administrators. And, the Thai education ranking among other countries of the world seems to prove my point. coffee1.gif 

And yet on paper it has the highest standards .. I refer you to the picture in my other post for an answer..

And yet on paper it has the highest standards .. I refer you to the picture in my other post for an answer..

Yes, CasualBiker, I read the article, which expresses the opinion of ONE academic. The problem is that there are many other people, both inside and outside Thailand, who disagree with this person. Also, since you have a history with TV, I'm guessing that you are aware of the reports of cheating on exams, purchasing diplomas, etc. I remember one article that talked about a bunch of folks taking a test for one or more teaching positions and not one of them was able to pass the test. While I am 100% in favor of all teachers being required to meet the same standards, I believe that teachers from outside Thailand would be a big plus. To respond to Mr. Thongbu's statement about taking teachers feelings into account, I say, Yes, feelings should be considered but, If a teacher cannot/does not perform, then that teacher should find another job. 

• Like 1