What do Thai people think about luk kreung

laolover88

I agree.

I want my daughter to be happy, have good quality of life and be healthy.

If i wanted her to be fat and miserable with poor quality of life, despite being educated, i would take her back west.

I personally think education is overrated.  It shouldn't be a lifetime achievement to be educated.  Happiness is number one. 

When you are ready to die you won't regret not being educated.

My GF is the least educated person i know.  She thought Australia and Mexico were in Europe.  But she is smarter than me in many ways.  More common sense, practical abilities/skills, problem solving skills.  But aside form that, she is very content and happy.  Her life is mostly at ease no matter what.  She really has a good life.  The type of life many westerners admire and actually come to Thailand to try to have themselves.  Find peace, have a simple life.

Education is nothing more than an intellectual game (and getting some pieces of paper).  And of all the ways a person can be smart - it is the most trivial.

Certifiably insane.

A half Thai half Australian girl I know (early 20's) returned to Thailand after 10 years (12yo-22yo) in Australia. The agency she worked for here told the Thai company that she was half Vietnamese as to avoid issues with the Thai staff - Jealousy, resentment and petty victimization stuff (she was earning 3 times what the Thai staff were)

The ones that return to Thailand after years of living and being educated in the West are almost envied and hated in the same breath, and almost regarded as traitors. Almost as if it's a case of 'How dare you be half Thai, but consider yourself as Western, and come back here to earn 3 times what we can make, and you don't even worship you know who! Who do you think you are!'

Not so for the ones raised and educated here, but the ones who return and are Westernized this seems to be largely the case.

As one of those you speak of, I think you are speaking out of your buttocks.

^ Ditto.

Only if they attend an extortionately expensive international school.

And even then its no guarantee of anything. My kids are bilingual and just returned. Most people don't even notice they are half Thai.

Yes, that is true. But what's funny is that I find a relation between how quick people are to identify my ethnic background, and how racist they tend to be. People who are tolerant by disposition will let me off as 'white(-ish)', or note that I appear racially ambiguous, while bigots will instantly identify me as 'Asian' and negate any Caucasoid traits that I have. I can't help but laugh at the handful of people who see me as Fu Manchu the Yellow Peril, or as a seed of evil foretelling destruction because I'm a half-breed.

brokenblossoms1.jpg

(was going to post a SS from The Birth of a Nation, but thought the Broken Blossoms one was more relevant - lovely film, btw)

It's as if some white people have a sort of 'racial radar' or weird ethnic thing. Not only are people who grow up in a racially homogeneous environment (and by that I mean some people, not all of them) more likely to harbor racist and xenophobic sentiments; they also seem to intuitively know what a 'real' white person, or 'dignified Aryan', is supposed to look like, as opposed to a Jew or a Turk. It's like an alarm bell goes off in their heads screaming, "ALERT. ALERT. 1/32nd Negroid ancestry detected."

And some Americans have believed that I was of Hispanic origin. I suppose their line of thinking was that if I have dark hair and brown eyes and look a little 'off' from the white physical archetype, then I must be some sort of Latino.

school mates are jealous and try the cream to make them whiteys too , girls with dark skin want you to impregnate them cos they want one too

It's a darn shame. I've always found dark skin tone to be a turn-on. [rave about ebony girls here]

What's even sadder is that this self-hatred among our people feeds white supremacists, who assert that Caucasoid features are objectively more physically attractive and then look to the popularity of skin-whitening products and plastic surgery among non-white populations as proof.

--------

EDIT: Wait a minute. Is replying to a thread that's been inactive for two days consider bumping here? Sorry, I'm new.

Edited by Fellini

"Dek Farang" simply means "Farang child".

In what the woman said there is absolutely no implication that the child is of mixed parentage.

Slightly off topic but I do get very irritated that "Luk Kreung" in this and similar Threads are somehow automatically consigned to the "Entertainment" field in their career prospects.

My own daughter - British father, Thai mother - graduated from ISB here in Bangkok, went on to attend the London School of Economics and is currently working at a very Senior level with a Multi-national Corporation in London earning over GBP 150,000.- a year.

Patrick

You know, sir - I love stories like that.  

There's far too many Lek Kreung kids being denied the opportunity to make real progress in their lives, 

Far too many farang fathers abandon them, and just as bad in my opinion - far too many subject them to Thai education knowing that they are denying them the best of the west.  

Once you have a child, it is beholden upon you to give that child the best chance in life.  

If you can't guarantee equivalent standard education in Thailand, you have to take them to the west and educate them.  

You must be a real bread head if you think progress is all about how much money they can earn. 

Are you seriously trying to say that I am as bad as a father abandoning his kids just because I want to live in Thailand and my kids get a Thai education?

I guess you don't have kids.

I agree.

I want my daughter to be happy, have good quality of life and be healthy.

If i wanted her to be fat and miserable with poor quality of life, despite being educated, i would take her back west.

I personally think education is overrated.  It shouldn't be a lifetime achievement to be educated.  Happiness is number one. 

When you are ready to die you won't regret not being educated.

My GF is the least educated person i know.  She thought Australia and Mexico were in Europe.  But she is smarter than me in many ways.  More common sense, practical abilities/skills, problem solving skills.  But aside form that, she is very content and happy.  Her life is mostly at ease no matter what.  She really has a good life.  The type of life many westerners admire and actually come to Thailand to try to have themselves.  Find peace, have a simple life.

Education is nothing more than an intellectual game (and getting some pieces of paper).  And of all the ways a person can be smart - it is the most trivial.

Education is way overrated. When I finished my first degree, I worked in Pizzaland for a year. When I got my Masters, I did get a job for an oil company paying extremely well. Even then I was miserable and had to buy fancy cars and party every night to try to justify why I was doing something I hated. 

I came out East and found the answer to the yearning deep within my inner being that just couldn't be filled with good jobs/money/flash living and living in the UK.

My brother became a millionaire despite leaving school at 15. Has worked his ass off but given himself stress-related medical conditions. 

In my opinion, parents that go on about their kids education being the most important thing, lack in other more important areas in bringing up their children. 

I was a rebel and remember listening to a Bowie song years ago - "And if you ever have to go to school

Remember how they messed up 
this old fool
Don't pick fights with the bullies 
or the cads
'Cause I'm not much cop at punching other people's Dads
And if the homework brings you down
Then we'll throw it on the fire

And take the car downtown". Last night I did exactly that with my eldest daughter, going for some ice cream then watching a movie together. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSlOGzPM90