What do Thai people think about luk kreung

laolover88

เด็กครึ่ง
Be interested to know about this
Seems pretty schizophrenic
On the one hand they are not Thai, on the other they are handsome, beautiful, talented stars!
Never mind whether the are 50/50 European, Chinese, Korean, Japanese
??

OK I realise it is not an interesting topic for people that have got an overstay problem stuck up their waterbutt
But it is a significant part of everyday life. Teacher more interested in my daughter's hair and fingernails because she is a luk khreung rather than her learning anything
  • Like 1

OP, Thais adore them, especially Thai women.

They always go soft about them.

Wife keeps on, she wants a luk kreung from me.

If I didn't have that prostate operation, may be I would oblige.

post up a photo of your Mrs Costas, maybe I can help you out ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My late teen/early 20's kids who live overseas are more than welcomed by family and friends whenever they visit Thailand.

My daughter who no longer speaks Thai often gets confused for Malaysian or Filipino in tourist areas.

My late teens son on the other hand gets the movie star treatment. He has a strong likeness to a current popular American TV series star. I had to laugh at the airport when his cousin and her Uni friends all lined up to have their photos taken with him. All of a sudden we had unknown girls lining up to get their pics taken with him too.

• Like 2

When the children go back to Europe, in school, they are subject to quite traditional racist abuse..slanty eyes
and all that
When they are at school in Thailand they are subjected to the same...in reverse. Hair too brown, skin too white.... where does this all come from?...there is hardly such a person as a genetically 100% Thai..they are all 50/50 thai/chinese/khmer/lao etc
And then when they grow up they are idolized..makes no sense
  • Like 1

When the children go back to Europe, in school, they are subject to quite traditional racist abuse..slanty eyes
and all that
When they are at school in Thailand they are subjected to the same...in reverse. Hair too brown, skin too white.... where does this all come from?...there is hardly such a person as a genetically 100% Thai..they are all 50/50 thai/chinese/khmer/lao etc
And then when they grow up they are idolized..makes no sense

I've taught plenty of luk kreung and have never seen any of them being bullied for it.

I would be a lot more worried about my Thai stepson in Europe than my luk krueng son in Thailand when it comes racist abuse. 

Of course I can read Thai and Lao. Can you?

It was just because your thread title says "look krung", and the Thai script reads "dek krung"
Made me wonder?

Let's call it dek farang and agree to call it a draw

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course I can read Thai and Lao. Can you?

It was just because your thread title says "look krung", and the Thai script reads "dek krung"
Made me wonder?
Let's call it dek farang and agree to call it a draw
No, that would be "farang noi"

Better tell that to the lady in my swimming pool who referred to one of my sons as dek farang when speaking to her kid last weekend.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now that is an interesting area of language space...!!Polite, I suppose, is of course
ลูก but I hear a lot of เด็ก..... and what would the implication be?.....hence the question. And I hear this: เด็กฝรั่งที่
How would one nowadays refer to a child of mixed race in English. Half caste is hardly acceptable!

Well when I walk down the street people stop to ohh and ahh. Women want me, other men envy me. The sun literally shines out of my arse.

Actually, no one bats an eye lid. I'm not special. Which is exactly the way I like it.
  • Like 1

A half Thai half Australian girl I know (early 20's) returned to Thailand after 10 years (12yo-22yo) in Australia. The agency she worked for here told the Thai company that she was half Vietnamese as to avoid issues with the Thai staff - Jealousy, resentment and petty victimization stuff (she was earning 3 times what the Thai staff were)

The ones that return to Thailand after years of living and being educated in the West are almost envied and hated in the same breath, and almost regarded as traitors. Almost as if it's a case of 'How dare you be half Thai, but consider yourself as Western, and come back here to earn 3 times what we can make, and you don't even worship you know who! Who do you think you are!'

Not so for the ones raised and educated here, but the ones who return and are Westernized this seems to be largely the case.

Edited by Deacon Bell

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, Thais adore them, especially Thai women.

They always go soft about them.

Wife keeps on, she wants a luk kreung from me.

If I didn't have that prostate operation, may be I would oblige.

What kind of woman goes soft.....oh...that kind !!

I am teaching how to think analytically (well, as much as you can a 6 year old) and to question things. One day when he is older the ability to be able to think logically, to rationalise things properly along with the ability to speak English and Thai fluently will stand him in good stead.

I may get slated for it, but I think raising them as a Luk Krung in Thailand is better in the long term than being raised as a Eurasian in the West. Especially if they choose to settle in Thailand after the age of 30.

Providing they are educated to a Western level in Thailand and finish their studies with a Western qualification (M.A. from the West following a Thai B.A. for example).

They always have the option of living and working in the West, and also of doing so in Thailand where they have a massive advantage over local candidates (and also foreign candidates) if they were raised and educated to B.A. level here, on top of being fluently bilingual, bicultured and having a Western M.A. or PhD as well as work experience in both Thailand and the West.

They might have to tell their Thai colleagues that they are half Vietnamese, in order to not have their tires slashed etc, but besides that they would be in a fantastic position. biggrin.png

Edited by Deacon Bell

A half Thai half Australian girl I know (early 20's) returned to Thailand after 10 years (12yo-22yo) in Australia. The agency she worked for here told the Thai company that she was half Vietnamese as to avoid issues with the Thai staff - Jealousy, resentment and petty victimization stuff (she was earning 3 times what the Thai staff were)

The ones that return to Thailand after years of living and being educated in the West are almost envied and hated in the same breath, and almost regarded as traitors. Almost as if it's a case of 'How dare you be half Thai, but consider yourself as Western, and come back here to earn 3 times what we can make, and you don't even worship you know who! Who do you think you are!'

Not so for the ones raised and educated here, but the ones who return and are Westernized this seems to be largely the case.

As one of those you speak of, I think you are speaking out of your buttocks.

• Like 1

As one of those you speak of, I think you are speaking out of your buttocks.

Now now Samran, even you must have squirmed in embarrassment at the "Miss Thai" leuk kreung being paraded on Ch 3.

Shyt their Thai is worse than mine (and I aint even Thai or leuk kreung) , their only link to these shores is their mother is Thai, head off for some coaching lessons, and pray no-one asks a question you havent been coached in.

Love the last one, a proper Thai woman from the south, not one of these anorexia types with a skin fixation.

Edited by rgs2001uk