Upgrading TOT internet?

Guderian

I signed up for the basic TOT ADSL package 3 years back. It promised 7 Mbps and to be fair, outside of the weekends, it often does get close to that. I'm happy enough with the service but I'm wondering what speed the basic package offers nowadays, and is it possible to get TOT to change my package from 7 Mbps to whatever the new speed is (10 Mbps? 15 Mbps??) without increasing the amount I pay? Or do I have to cancel the existing contract and start again from scratch by signing up to the new, improved basic package?

FYI - the speeds they tell you are for when it is plugged into a LAN. For Wifi, it is usually significantly lower. Test this out first to see what you are really getting.

My office has 50mb cable. On WIFI we get about 6-8mb, on LAN 78-95mb.

I’ve also been upgraded automatically over the years, while the price has gone down.

Initially signed up for TOT silvercyber 7 years ago, 1 Mb down at 700 Baht. Today I have 10 Mb at 590 Baht.

When we first moved here over 4 years ago, they had a 10mpbs package but wouldn't sell it to me as it was impossible to get anywhere near that. I can't remember the package we bought, but it was like 4-5 or something. Last year, went to ToT to upgrade and they did, for not much more money. As you mention, there are times when it's nowhere near. But many times I do get pretty close to 10mpbs. I don't have a contract with them, they just did the upgrade.

When we first moved here over 4 years ago, they had a 10mpbs package but wouldn't sell it to me as it was impossible to get anywhere near that. I can't remember the package we bought, but it was like 4-5 or something. Last year, went to ToT to upgrade and they did, for not much more money. As you mention, there are times when it's nowhere near. But many times I do get pretty close to 10mpbs. I don't have a contract with them, they just did the upgrade.

Thanks Craig, next time I'm around the Klang area I'll drop by TOT and ask them.

I had been upgraded without notice from 7 to 10 Mbps.

Actually in real it was from 6 to 8 Mbps.

Ditto. I live in Jomtien and I was upgraded without notice. I get 9-10.5 Mbps 80% of the time but some days will drop to 4-7.

FYI - the speeds they tell you are for when it is plugged into a LAN. For Wifi, it is usually significantly lower. Test this out first to see what you are really getting.

My office has 50mb cable. On WIFI we get about 6-8mb, on LAN 78-95mb.

You'll usually only notice a big drop when you have a high speed connection. I never noticed any difference with LAN or wireless to anywhere around the house (3 floors) with a 7 Mbps connection. When I got a fast fiber optic connection the differences became noticeable, but never even close to the differences you're experiencing.

If you dropped to 6-8 Mbps from LAN 78 - 95 Mbps, you're either a long way from your wireless router (or too many walls), or you have a problem with your wireless adapters (receivers), or your wireless router is no good, weak or not set up properly, or there is too much interference from other wireless networks in your area. Perhaps you're using the old "b" or "g" adapters on your clients, or the drivers need updating.

With the speeds you're paying for, you should be using an 802.11AC wireless router with compatible adapters. If you're working close to your wireless router, consider getting a dual band router so you can use the 5 Ghz band. Most new smartphones and tablets can receive in this band. You maybe experiencing a lot of interference from other wireless networks and 5 Ghz will solve that problem, but the coverage is quite limited compared to 2.4 Ghz. Cordless phones can destroy wireless signals in their vicinity as most use the 2.4 Ghz band.

The bottom line is you have a problem which can most likely be fixed.

Edited by tropo

Ive also been upgraded automatically over the years, while the price has gone down.

Initially signed up for TOT silvercyber 7 years ago, 1 Mb down at 700 Baht. Today I have 10 Mb at 590 Baht.

Co-incidence. I have exactly the same timescale etc as you. Used to be pretty ropey but now I have the 10 mbs, without asking, and the service is pretty good. Mind you, I don't have wi fi, just the old fashioned tower on a desk. One of the speed testing sites seems to indicate I get the 10mbs 99% of the time. I'm on the dark side.