Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Setting up a long term condo rental while on vacation

Bellacissa

I tried to put this in the condo rental forum, but it wouldn't let me start a new topic there.

I will be moving to Thailand on a Non-O ED in January. However, I will be coming over for two weeks in September on a visa exempt stamp and would like to go ahead and find a condo in Pattaya to lease for a year. Basically, I want to have the place ready to go when we arrive in January to make the transition as easy as possible for my son.

Is that possible on a 30 day visa exempt stamp or do I have to wait until I'm here on the Non-O visa to sign a rental agreement?

Can you tell me what paperwork I will need to rent the condo? I'm a US citizen, married to a US citizen (but he won't be living in Thailand for the first year) and I have a 12 year old son that will be living with me as a dependent. I assume I'll need copies of our passports, bank statements and proof of income from my husband. Is there anything else that I should have on hand?

You'll be fine with just a tourist visa, many people rent condos or houses with nothing more than that (and the money obviously)!. If you've got a passport and the deposit, you're in. Also, it's a renters market so don't agree to pay what anyone is asking. Make an offer first, especially if you're looking at a 1 year lease, and you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you can beat the price down.

Good luck in getting a landlord to "save" an apartment for you for a move into in January. That is in the middle of high season and the only times apartments are really in demand so your options / choices may be limited

But your question was about paperwork and as others have stated, as long as you have the money for a deposit the landlord could care less about your visa status