honda steed 400cc or suzuki intruder 1400cc custom chopper ?

dirtycash

hi

i know absolutely nothing about choppers, i am toying with an idea of buying one to travel around thailand, i go to thailand a lot and my guess is instead of just staying and wasting myself away in pattaya etc i can buy a chopper, don my back pack and take myself around isaan or south on regular trips .

honda steed or suzuki intruder ? honda 400cc is going for 160.000 thb suzuki intruder 1400cc is going for 250.000 thb.

the suzuki intruder has only one seat whereas the honda steed has a small seat for a passenger though i would not imagine i can take any passenger on long journey.

what about fuel prices , price per litre per kilometre ?

intruder has shaft drive plus a big 240 wheel at back , single seat and is a beautifull bike. honda is not so nice but has 2 seats though is nice enough bike.

im lost on what to do and need some advice please . also was told to be away as the chassis numbers need to add up and will i need thai driving licence ?

thankyou

If you are interested in a bike in that price range, you might be best served getting a used CB*500 (although the 500X is the best!). You may be able to find an ER-6* in that range, which is technically a better bike, but to be priced that low would be an older model.

Any of the above bikes would have more power than the Steed 400, they'd probably be more economical, replacement parts are readily available (the Kawi's will be easier to find as there's a dealership in every province), and mostly...you know that the bike is legal.

If I live dangerously (going out to the 4 L past flashing fuel light), I can get some 425km per 17L of fuel. That's mixed mode riding without being easy on the throttle...and I still get 25 km/L lugging my fat ass, top-box, panniers and passenger around. Another way to look at it is that I spend ~750 baht to go 425km....that's not too bad in my book.

thanks but i only like these these choppers, i am not interested in suprbikes at all. love the sound plus the chopper style . 750 thb per 425 kilometre ? i was getting more than that with my mitsu triton if i remember right.

If the Intruder has a 240 on the back, it's been highly modified as it came stock with a 170 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here- maybe there was a special model, but I don't think so)- this can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it was done (i.e. taking into consideration the mechanical expertise- or lack thereof- and how much was spent- this type of work can be done right or really, really wrong, and it can screw up the whole bike if done incorrectly). I would imagine there are other modifications done as well, and you need some knowledge of bikes to understand what you're getting into with this type of chopper. I don't know anything about this particular bike- maybe it's a former show winner...

As by your own admission you know nothing about choppers, to avoid potentially buying someone else's mess I'd stick with a bike as close to stock as possible, meaning of your two choices I'd go for the Steed. Dave already offered some smarter options, but if you're determined to go for an inexpensive cruiser, the Honda is your better bet.

I asssume the 2 bikes in question are those on face book in pattaya buy and sell.

The Steed is 600cc.

steed_zpse515c1c5.jpg

Intruder_zps3394264f.jpg

For some countryside touring I reckon the steed is the better of the 2. The Intruder is a great looking bike though.

Edited by Spoonman

thanks but i only like these these choppers, i am not interested in suprbikes at all. love the sound plus the chopper style . 750 thb per 425 kilometre ? i was getting more than that with my mitsu triton if i remember right.

I can respect your choice (not agree with it). I would like to point out that the options I gave are not super sports. While not as laid back as a chopper, they have standard ergonomics.

Also, that cost per km is at 42 baht benzine...not 30 bhat subsidised diesel.

I don't see any license plate on intruder.

Get the steed. But as Dave said, why not a cb500x, one of the best value in Thai market?

These choppers look good but sure expect problems after years of fiddling by Thai guys!

hey guys

here is the steed, as i say i love the look of this bike also and the fact it has extra seat for the gik lol....its going for 160.000 but i have seen better steeds at lower cost , maybe i can negotiate.

the intruder is as pictures above, a beautifull eye catcher !!! price is 250.000 thai owner so maybe not going to negotiate with a farang too much.

i am in uk at minute, if i decide to buy either these bikes what way can i send a deposit to secure ? i do not want fleeced but want to secure a deal.

i will be in thailand soon hopefully within next 6 weeks. i want a bike to tour abour thailand and see the country, i do not want to sit on my ass in pattaya or bkk, im thinking if i do not get my intended use out of it then any one of these bikes will sell again if taken care of , right ?

just need as much asdvice from you bike guys as possible.

thanks

dc

post-216244-0-56280100-1406623495_thumb.

post-216244-0-12981000-1406623503_thumb.

post-216244-0-08472200-1406623753_thumb.

post-216244-0-02864000-1406623761_thumb.

Edited by dirtycash

I would slow yourself down and wait until you get here. The big bike market and registration laws are going through massive changes. More options on many new models available and police and government cracking down heavily on bikes without genuine registration. If you did buy a bike without a genuine registration (green book) you could find it very difficult to sell at a later date or even possibly carted away by the authorities. Many older bikes have fake green books so be very vigilant. If this is your budget I would advise on new or second hand CB500 or Kawasaki er6n or Versys. Why not hire one when you get here and see how it fits. I started on choppers here with a Yamaha 1100 Dragster Classic and Road Star 1600. Since then I have had 2 x Versys, 1 x er6n and now riding the Suzuki 650 V-Strom and I would never go back to a chopper especially for touring. My experience is choppers especially older ones are not as cheap to run as modern mid range bikes I ride now and nowhere near as much fun. These bikes also have much more safety in handling and braking which is never a bad thing. As I said try some out and see which fits but don't be in any hurry to transfer deposits as there are plenty of all types available on many websites. Good luck.

Edited by alanr1610
  • Like 1

hey guys

here is the steed, as i say i love the look of this bike also and the fact it has extra seat for the gik lol....

dc

Looking at that seat she won't be going very far with you. I'd be surprised if she isn't catching the next bus home in the first town you stop at, let alone travelling around half of Thailand with you.

I'm with the other guys here, get a more modern bike that can handle what you're planning to do. if it must be a chopper then look into a second hand Kawasaki Vulcan 900, I'm not sure of the prices but your 250,000B budget might get you one and it's fully legal with nationwide dealer support.

post-80215-0-61400800-1406647130_thumb.j

• Like 1

yes that vulcan is nice !!! any good dealerships in bkk or patts ? any links ? thanks

There are a few dealers in Bangkok and 1 I think in Pattaya. It's 500,000B new but you might get lucky on one a few years old for your budget. Here's a link for a dealer in Bangkok and it would be the same price everywhere.

http://www.kawasaki.co.th/th/motorcycle.asp

Posted By:
Owner (not a trader/dealer/agent)
Negotiable:
Near Price/Terms Only
Make:
Suzuki
Model:
Intruder Custom
Year:
CC's:
Colour:
Black
Ignition Type:
Electric
Drive:
Shaft
ABS:
No
Ex-Rental:
No
Accident:
Never
Yes
Tax Paid Up:
Yes
With Legal Book:
Yes
Insurance:
10 Months
Previous Owners:
3+
Seller Finance:
No
Takeover Payment:
No
theres the info for the intruder .
Edited by dirtycash

Posted By:
Owner (not a trader/dealer/agent)
Negotiable:
Near Price/Terms Only
Make:
Suzuki
Model:
Intruder Custom
Year:
CC's:
Colour:
Black
Ignition Type:
Electric
Drive:
Shaft
ABS:
No
Ex-Rental:
No
Accident:
Never
Yes
Tax Paid Up:
Yes
With Legal Book:
Yes
Insurance:
10 Months
Previous Owners:
3+
Seller Finance:
No
Takeover Payment:
No
theres the info for the intruder .

so why is the license plate not attached to the bike?

get a vulcan or a honda ctx700n from honda bigwing, http://www.hondabigbike.com/product.html?product=CTX700N

350 k thb for manual and 400 k thb for dual clutch auto tranny, new and fully legal and a good value bike. easy on petrol, no need for repairs etc. overall, a hassle free option.

post-184955-0-43035000-1406689691_thumb.

post-184955-0-28931800-1406689692_thumb.

Edited by ll2

hi,

just had an email from farang guy selling the steed, there is no green book with this bike, he says a green book will cost me 70-000 thb . maybe i should forget about the steed ? i am in no way questioning his honesty but i want to be safe, seems like its going to be a bit of a minefield out there buying a chopper.

i still love that intruder though !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Pattaya Superbikes is selling of stock now that the building has been sold.... I heard he wanted 200k for his 1500 Intruder, it defo comes with legit book and paperwork.

Edited by Spoonman

hi,

just had an email from farang guy selling the steed, there is no green book with this bike, he says a green book will cost me 70-000 thb . maybe i should forget about the steed ? i am in no way questioning his honesty but i want to be safe, seems like its going to be a bit of a minefield out there buying a chopper.

No green book, stay away, don't buy it. It is not worth the hassle. There are so many second hand Steeds out there with green books.

BTW. I think we are into the same kind of bikes, and as much as i love the Intruder it not a bike i would tour Thailand on. A Sunday bike only.biggrin.png

bike history ? none, hence this post. but i just fancy one of these bikes to travel. got to start somewhere and i wont get far on a honda click .

OK, So first it might be a good idea to listen to the advice given out on here by guys that have years of biking history in their own countries and especially Thailand. 400 steed is as flat as fart and I would not even bother thinking about it especially touring two up with baggage. I had a 1400 back in the mid 1990's which is probably a similar year as the one you are dreaming abou except it was two years old at the time with full dealer backup! Bike was OK, nothing more and had some issues. Top speed was unremarkable and handling was <deleted>, Carbs had a history of being set wrong at the factory and it was all put together to look pretty rather than do any particular thing well it is what it is! Engines were also an air cooled effort with an oil cooler fitted as it runs to hot. Not the best for Thailand temps me thinks.

Bike history none! Thailand may not be the best place to begin making bike history but that said most of us that have history continue to do it here. Why do you want to start riding now and why do these old crates appeal so much?

• Like 2

hi,

If there is no green book I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

You will never get it legal despite what the seller tells you.

If you really want it then tell him you will pay the price when HE gets a green book and you will pay him at the Land Transport Department AFTER it gets transferred into your name.

He will be more than happy to take your money if you pay for the green book. To get a pass on the emission tests which I believe is only done in Bangkok the bike will HAVE to pass the 2012 (I think) California standard. It will take a few weeks and will cost up to 100,000 baht wth NO refund if it fails.

Any bike without a green book just pass over it. If you buy it and you want to sell it on later the green book problem will be yours.

• Like 2

UPDATE .......the pics of green book have been attatched here please have a look. thai owner, he makes these bikes. please let me know your thoughts. and surely i can do a bit of travelling on these bikes ? i mean say from pattaya to hau hin twice per week 3 times a year ,maybe ?

what do you think. it is a beauty and i think if this green book is genuine etc then how could i not sell on again in a couple of years if i do not get my use out of it .

thanks

post-216244-0-18914400-1406898886_thumb.

post-216244-0-04781900-1406898895_thumb.

Edited by dirtycash