Wearing glasses

cooked

I tried googling this and used the forum search function. Do Thais have unusually good eyesight or are half of them driving around half blind? I didn't put this in the motoring forum as I imagine that this has wider implications than just in motoring. You will get your blood tested after an accident but not your eyesight,

I suspect that it goes into the same category as wearing helmets: 'mai suay', not attractive.

Any statistics around? Is this a reason why so many don't read at all?

I had my eyes and teeth examined in school back in the UK, standard procedure in at the time, but my daughter never had her eyes or teeth examined in school here, so we had this done privately.

I suspect a lot of Thais never give this much thought until a problem occurs.

I have often wondered. You hardly ever see a thai wearing glasses, especially on the road. Maybe explains their high accident statistics. The eye "test" to get a licence only covers whether you can distinguish between green/red/yellow.

And yet there seems to an opticians on every bloody corner , often wondered how these places survive

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

See? Some things we will never understand.

Glasses here (and elsewhere I suppose) are more for fashion.

Notice a couple years back, intellectual types and those wanted to appear that way, would go for thos really dark rimmed glasses - in most cases without a perscription.

The effect was greatly enhanced if you could procure a semi formal black jacket with some meaningless embroidery on left breast area. One could be head of parking lot attendants or security guards at a grade B shopping mall and still look important with these two decorative items.

Then there are those like me who need them as my arms are not long enough anymore.

You would not know if the car drivers are wearing them - the tint is usually so dark you cannot see in from outside..........or maybe it is because I need to be wearing my glasses....... wink.png

Had a kid in my classe who couldn't actually read the stuff on the board or Projector. Mentioned to my boss. She sends a note back to family. Gets a note back saying "no problem. The reason why no glasses is that the Chinese medicine man says that he has to exercise his eyes to make them stronger and in a few years he will be fine " go figure!

Also there was a post recently were the driving license applicant was refused permission to wear her glasses as it was a 'vision test' LOL

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Contrast the lack of thaiglasses with the numbers of chinesetouristglasses... not unusual to see a group of 6 chinatourists ALL wearing glasses, it seems that at least 75%. Have seen a few Thai with only the frames no lens, as a cute fashion statementblink.png