BMW F 800 GS assembly begins at BMW Group Thailand’s site in Rayong, the second locally-produced BMW

BBJ

BMW%20F%20800%20GS%20launch%20event.jpgBangkok. The BMW Group Manufacturing Thailand in Rayong will commence production of the BMW F 800 GS: the ultimate versatile enduro machine with sporty genes. The BMW F 800 GS joins the BMW F 800 R as the two Thailand-assembled motorcycles at the only BMW production site globally to produce vehicles for all three BMW brands: BMW, MINI, and BMW Motorrad. Our assembly line expansion is the latest step in our strategic production roadmap for BMW, MINI and for BMW Motorrad specifically,” observed Matthias Pfalz, President, BMW Group Thailand.

http://www.farangmoto.com/thailand/index.php/component/content/article/14-sample-data-articles/158-bmw-f-800-gs-assembly-to-commence-at-bmw-group-manufacturing-thailand-bmw-f-800-gs-assembly-begins-at-bmw-group-thailand-s-site-in-rayong-the-second-locally-produced-bmw-bike

• Like 1

Reading this press release I'm realizing that BMW bikes are produced in the same facility that already makes a variety of BMW cars.

Explains the ability to ramp up production and expand to new models really fast. It's been what, 6 months since they made the first model?!

And hope prices cool down a bit.

440 k thb for 800r is a bit steep IMO.

Still, thanks for BMW releasing these bikes and opening assembly lines here in Thailand and hope more models follow...

Such as s1000rr or rbiggrin.png

Edited by ll2

Release price is going to be 530,000B. I'm in the market for one but really want the Triumph Tiger 800 XC. They are priced at 830,000B so I can't see any of those being sold here, they may as well just pack them up and ship them out. There is very little separating the two but I prefer the Tiger as it is better on the road.

Surely Triumph must finally bring their pricing inline with all the other local manufacturers? Who in their right mind would pay 300,000 for basically the same bike?

I'm going to wait until winter to see if that happens otherwise Triumph has lost another sale to the BMW.

What Japanese competitor is there the the f800gs?

Small adventure tourers?

Kawasaki Versys 650

Suzuki V-Strom 650

Soon, hopefully, a re-released Honda Africa Twin (rumored for 2015 but of course who knows)

Not sure Yamaha has anything - they sure used to in the past.

Ducati Hyperstrada, though that's not Japanese of course. I realize it's quite a different bike but its intended use is the same, on-road touring.

Honda has vfr1200x crosstourer with dual clutch auto tranny with hand shifter and shaft drive around same prices as triumph 800 at 860 thb. A good choice too but sure a bit heavier than triumph still better value imo.

http://www.hondabigbike.com/product.html?category=ADVENTURE

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-14070683532915_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14070683654941_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14070683817926_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14070683937162_thumb.jpg

Edited by ll2

I was looking at them too, they're spec and price wise are very similar to the Ducati monster 800 cc. But they're ugly. Didn't read any owner reviews so couldn't comment on the bike itself.

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

bmw f800gs is a great bike. If they could sell it like 400 k ish, it should be a good choice and good seller but 530 k is a bit steep imo.

yes, 180 k thb more than a Suzuki Vstrom but it is a BMW and better in dirt than vstrom and more bragging rights! you ride something with BMW emblem!

BMW offers a sturdier tested and proven package as vstrom but it offers better versatility i believe. Still, a Vstrom can do the job in Thailand more than you want.

• Like 1

"Honda VFR1200x cross-tourer" That has to be the ducks guts! Who in their right mind would want anything else?????

honda vfr1200x cross tourer i think a good value and choice in Thailand for that price.

First of all, you get a v1200 cc engine that sounds great. on top, you get dual clutch auto which is very good for long tours and also in the city.

bike looks like it can go forever and possibly something you will hand to your grandson when you are old enough to ride it.

if i am in market for a an adventure bike, i go for Suzuki Vstorm 650 v twin or honda cb500x with some suspension and performance mods.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Two friends of mine have ridden GS 800s and 1200s across central Europe/Asia, South America and Australia, and they kick ass apparently. Lots of people think they look ugly (the bikes, not my friends!) but I personally quite like them - they have an appearance that suggests they mean business. Ultimately though, who cares? If you're serious about the kind of riding they're built for, then looks shouldn't be an issue. If however you're one of those people that just wants a flash bike to park up outside whichever bar or cafe you're in, maybe go for an R1.

The price seems on the top end of reasonable, and about the same as European prices. A bit less would make it far more tempting for me, but then I don't think they'll be stuck for orders here. My main issue is that I wouldn't have enough time to put the kind of miles on it I'd want to. For those with more cash to spend, the GS F800 would be a fantastic bike for adventures in this part of the world.

• Like 1

Just want to add - 530k Baht is a pretty good value vs. Hypermotard at 500k - in the USA the F800 is $1,500 more so you're saving some money there. Hyperstrada in the USA costs the same as the F800, over here it's BHT 20k more.

I'd say there is very little price gauging going on by BMW - the bikes are priced fairly, and the same as in other markets. The higher price vs. the USA is a direct result of CKD taxes (I believe 30%) + Big bike taxes (10% for 800cc?!) + VAT of 7%. Ballpark anyway.

CKD is the "completely knocked down" kit tax which means parts are imported but the bike is assembled here.

Edited by nikster

• 1 month later...