The plan !

All this new talk of blacklisting people on long overstay has brought out people I thought were all OK visa wise. A British friend has just told me he is on overstay over a year. He had some cash flow problems which are nearly sorted. He has been offered a good position with a work permit. Holiday pay and health insurance etc. He has a full passport so needs to go back to the UK to get a new one, as if he stays here to get it it will take too long and he will pass the deadline of 12/09 2014, and return to start work December. He is looking to fly out the 2nd or 3rd of Sep. I have told him to get out now but he is tied to those dates for whatever reason. What are his chances of getting out then with just paying the 20,000 fine and getting to come back Dec ? Cheers

He isn't a member but he does read TV.thumbsup.gif

A friend here who has been here on Tao long time and with a work permit that requires him to leave every 3 months was told at Ranong that he will no longer be allowed to visa run and must change to reporting to Samui immigration every 3 months ? blink.png A bit lost as to why he needed to visa run with a valid work permit ?

Cheers again

There is no deadline of Sept.9th for anything. For the new overstay rules it will probably be late September before they go into effect.

Unless he gets caught with an overstay he should not have a problem leaving on September 2nd or 3rd.

Ranong has almost shut the door for most people wanting to do a border run. He may just have to find a different crossing to use.

Many people who have work permits cannot get extensions of stay based upon working because the company they are working for does not qualify for it or their salary does not meet the minimum needed or the company does not have enough Thai employees or perhaps all 3.

No one knows for certain when the new rules re overstay will actually kick in but it is assumed by many on here, sometime in September.

If he has any sense he will leave now, pay the overstay sort out his passport and return for what seems reasonable prospects..if he stays he will be gambling it all away because when the new rules kick in then he will face a ban.

As Ubonjoe says providing he isnt caught in the meantime he should be ok to leave early Sept but no one can be certain..

My view is why gamble a good opportunity....but I guess its.... "upto him"

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I tried to tell him to bail out now but he needs to stay till end of August before he leaves. His plan is to fly up to BKK from Samui to lessen the risk of getting stopped on the way up to swampy and then pay the overstay at swampy on route to the UK.

Cheers again guys

Bangkok post wrote today that the new rules will start the 25 aug. If so he will be blacklisted.

I can't understand that anyone with one years overstay like to wait another 5-6 weeks before going out

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

I say fly out tomorrow. Or today if you can get a ticket.

Since over stay is illegal, and they have the authority to blacklist. Leaving as soon as possible seems the most sensible way.

Assuming his future in Thailand is really important to him

• Like 1