Looking for advice from someone that has been there

krabimike

I made an offer on a Fortuner. I live in Bkk the owner lives in Phuket he is American as am I. not that that probably matters. but he wants me to meet him at airport go to bank pay off the loan that is owed on the ca,r about half the value. then the bank will give the blue book and we will go to immigrations and to the land office to transfer into my name and then I give him the balance.

I have suggested that I am uncomfortable to give the bank any money without something that shows I have ownership. I have suggested that he pay off the car and when we do the proper paper work I will give him the full amount. he says he is leaving Thai that is why he accepted my low offer and does not have the cash to do so. 

Is there a secure way for me to give the bank money and be secure?

Edited by krabimike

I would suggest you look at a thread I posted in the Motoring Section this morning. Not just as easy as your friend thinks.

One post suggested that there may be more than one loan out on the car

However, best of luck

It's not a scam.The finance co. should be able to transfer your name into the book.

Go with him to the finance co. and give the cash to them, not him.

Edited by ATF

You might go to your local bank and ask the manager how the transaction should take place in a manner that protects you.  This type of deal is probably very common at every bank, people buying a car they can not pay off and then having to sell it.

thanks for the replies! the end result was I told him I was not comfortable giving the bank money with out showing me as some kind of a lien holder. he said he would pay off the car and I could just pay him. I said ok. then he said the bank takes 10 days to return blue book. I said no problem I can wait. then very strange all of my some 22 emails of communicating with him disappeared off my computer. never seen that done before. so I called him direct and he was vague but said he didn't have time to deal with waiting 10 days see you latter goodbye. so I change my password. and am still looking.. I think I will just go buy a new one! :)

thanks for the replies! the end result was I told him I was not comfortable giving the bank money with out showing me as some kind of a lien holder. he said he would pay off the car and I could just pay him. I said ok. then he said the bank takes 10 days to return blue book. I said no problem I can wait. then very strange all of my some 22 emails of communicating with him disappeared off my computer. never seen that done before. so I called him direct and he was vague but said he didn't have time to deal with waiting 10 days see you latter goodbye. so I change my password. and am still looking.. I think I will just go buy a new one! smile.png

good idea.....