Seeking Advise for PosterBoy: Last Call :)

Hi All,

I would like advice on getting a Tourist Visa.  I seem to be a perfect test case for the recent changes to Thailand's immigration practices. Hence the user name...I have always been a reader of TVF but haven't posted/commented in the past.

My Background: My Thailand immigration history covers the past 4 years.  I have had 2 ED visas, 2 Tourist Visas (one from Hull, one from Cambodia), 1 Overstay (soon to be 2), and for the last 3 months I have 3 In/Out Visa Exempts.

I was one of the unfortunates to go to Kanchanaburi a few days after they effectively closed the border to falangs this month.  I went on the 5th and since then have been waffling on how to proceed.  My last In/Out expired on 6 Jul 14 and I am currently on 24 days overstay.  

I would like to go to Vientiane to get a double entry tourist visa, and then I am planning to marry and get on a 'proper' long term arrangement to comply with Thailand's immigration policies.

My questions are:

1. Is the Vientiane Thai Consulate likely to give me a tourist visa with my history?  Are any other neighboring consulates/embassies more likely to grant me one?

2. Before I leave, Is it worth while to go through the paperwork exercise for marriage extension to perhaps use for my case?  Would it help with granting a Tourist Visa or is it possible to get on the Non-Imm O with marriage extension directly in a neighboring consulate/embassy?  

My current plan was to secure valid immigration status for staying in Thailand then apply for the marriage extension upon return.

3. Any other ideas on how to proceed?  I am not really keen on an Elite card, 500k isn't cost effective for me at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help and any comments or advise is appreciated. 

"soon to be 2 overstays", why? really not a good time to have another overstay, as I'm sure you know... I can't answer all your questions but, please contact Vientiane and they can tell you if you will qualify for a tourist visa and for how long the duration of said tourist visa will be. I recently had to contact Malaysia to explain my exact passport details and they were able to tell me whether or not I would qualify for a tourist visa. I'm uncertain what country you're from but certain Western countries get a bit more "leniency" on overstay and a bit more "privalidges" regarding visas. also, you may be able to apply for a seven day extension right now for 1,900 baht in order to avoid a second overstay. I think you can call immigration at telephone number 1111. (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) good luck to you!

edited as I re-read your post that you are already on 24 days overstay! yikes. it might be worth a trip to nearby immigration now to pay for your overstay prior to going to the airport...

editing again as I can't figure out how to delete my own comments!
this thread may be much more helpful to you than anything I've written: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747066-the-plan/?p=8166360

my apologies if I've further confused all the confusion! I, myself, am confused too; although I'm sure that's little consolation to you! best of luck to you!

(if an admin would like to delete my post, please do. thank you.) Edited by Madison blue

1 yes.

2 not possible, you're on overstay.

3 you can get a non-o for marriage instead of a tourist visa visa.

Do not go to immigration because you could be arrested. leave immediately for Laos via air to minimize risks and costs. 

• Like 1

I'm sure they will take your money for a tourist visa, and the application fee is NON refundable,  they may even issue it, but will you get in?  Probably not.

Edited by EBlair48

I'm sure they will take your money for a visa, and the application fee is NON refundable,  they may even issue it, but will you get in?  Probably not.

First, in all nearby countries they will check documentation first on the spot, and if one doesn't qualify, fee is never collected.

Second, with a visa one will be allowed entry.

Please read and inform yourself before answering incorrectly.

Edited by paz

I'm sure they will take your money for a tourist visa, and the application fee is NON refundable,  they may even issue it, but will you get in?  Probably not.

Yes EBlair,  that is where I am at on the thought exercise of what I am planning to do.  I have a very messy history, a 'perfect storm' of previous events.  I am one to make an example of I am afraid...

You are not on "soon to be 2"  overstays, you already are on two overstays. Overstays are exactly what immigration is cracking down on, besides visa runs. So overstaying even more is not going to help you getting a new visa even if getting married. Clear your overstay first, and well before the 25th of nxt month.

Paz, I thought if a person surrendered to immigration they would NOT be arrested? one would only be arrested if apprehended, is my understanding. can you please clarify or display a link regarding being arrested upon going to immigration? thank you.

You can search the forum yourself. If you want to clear overstay, go to the airport or land border and leave. Even if you "surrender", you can still be arrested.

Edited by paz

You are not on "soon to be 2"  overstays, you already are on two overstays. Overstays are exactly what immigration is cracking down on, besides visa runs. So overstaying even more is not going to help you getting a new visa even if getting married. Clear your overstay first, and well before the 25th of nxt month.

Fair enough Enjoyulife,  I was referring to my current passport.  I have been mulling this over since the 6th so I realize I am making more of a problem for myself.  After reading all of the horror stories I didn't want to get stuck outside of Thailand.

Paz, according to news and experts on this forum: a person on overstay is no longer able to exit Thailand via land border.

That reportedly happened at one single land border, where in my opinion the person has not been firm enough in exercising his rights. What if he had stationed there and asked again and again? They would have had to collect the fine and let him, alternatively detain him and bring to BKK for the same end result - but for much more unpaid work for themselves. 

Anyway, leave via air, or from another border, problem solved.  

Edited by paz

thanks for clarifying that Paz. there's soooo much to read in the forums and so much confusion right now. I posted a question myself (despite very much research) a couple hours ago but, alas, no one wishes to answer... yet. experts "in the know" are VERY much appreciated by those of us trying to sort through the current confusion. thank you!

I'm sure they will take your money for a visa, and the application fee is NON refundable,  they may even issue it, but will you get in?  Probably not.

First, in all nearby countries they will check documentation first on the spot, and if one doesn't qualify, fee is never collected.

Second, with a visa one will be allowed entry.

Please read and inform yourself before answering incorrectly.

Is that right? I understood that being issued a visa by an embassy or consulate wasn't a guarantee that immigration would let you in- it's down to the discretion of the immigration officer. 

Is that right? I understood that being issued a visa by an embassy or consulate wasn't a guarantee that immigration would let you in- it's down to the discretion of the immigration officer. 

Not  just "discretion". Need to have a very good reason e.g. counterfeiting, blacklisted due to criminal offences, having other refusal stamps from ASEAN country, etc. In essence, nobody with a legit visa has or is being refused entry.

Paz, any idea if that will change after August 12th??? for example: someone with a tourist visa arriving by air who has multiple back to back tourist visas in their passport but with zero land border crossings and one visa exempt entry for 30 days via air arrival? thank you for your time answering questions! many, many people appreciate it!

Paz, any idea if that will change after August 12th??? for example: someone with a tourist visa arriving by air who has multiple back to back tourist visas in their passport but with zero land border crossings and one visa exempt entry for 30 days via air arrival? thank you for your time answering questions! many, many people appreciate it!

August 12th has been overblown by rumors and nonsense posts. It is about nothing more than the date that immigration will officially start enforcing the out/in rules for visa exempt entries. It has nothing to do with tourist visas or any other visa for that matter.

• Like 2

To the OP you need to go out and get a tourist visa, Leaving by air would be the best route to get it. If not by air crossing a Nong Khai to get your visa in Vientiane.would be the next best option. They will allow you to enter with your tourist visa.

Their have already been reports on here of others getting a tourist visa in Vientiane after a longer overstays than yours and about the same type of visa/entry histories.

• Like 1

Update,

I just cleared my overstay at Nong Khai immigration. No problems, the officer just asked if I was aware of the new rules (or enforcent of current ones) coming into effect.

Will update again when I get my passport back from the Thai Consulate.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Tourist visa received as normal from the Thai Consulate next afternoon. Reentry at Nong Khai immigration went smoothly too. The immigration officer did look through my passport and shook his head a couple of times but didn't ask me anything or say anything.

I want to thank everyone for their advice.

Paz said,
"Please read and inform yourself before answering incorrectly."

And then you posted this incorrect info.

"3 you can get a non-o for marriage instead of a tourist visa visa."

I think he has to actually be married to be eligible for that. He stated he isn't.

Paz said,
"Please read and inform yourself before answering incorrectly."

And then you posted this incorrect info.

"3 you can get a non-o for marriage instead of a tourist visa visa."

I think he has to actually be married to be eligible for that. He stated he isn't.

Thank you for pointing me to my mistake. It can happen when trying to be helpful, as opposed to be here keeping different attitudes.