Biggest Australian department store may open sourcing office in Thailand

webfact

Biggest Australian department store may open sourcing office in Thailand
By Digital Content

14066281818603.png

BANGKOK, July 30 -- Phusit Ratanakulsereroengrit, a senior official of Thailand's Department of International Trade Promotion, said representatives of Woolworths Limited want to discuss business deals with about 60 Thai operators as it plans to open a sourcing office in Asia Pacific and is especially interested in Thailand.

He said that Woolworths had more than 3,000 branches in Australia and New Zealand and there is a good chance to develop a long-term trade partnership to increase Thai exports.

More than 80 per cent of Thai operators in the business negotiation are in the industries of frozen and processed seafood, chilled, frozen and processed fresh vegetables and fruits, and rice, while the rest are in furniture, home decor, toys, electronic products, health and beauty products and apparel.

Mr Phusit said that the value of Thai-Australian trade exceeded US$10 billion last year and increased by three times from 2005 when both countries began their free trade agreement.

The main Thai exports to Australia include automobiles, auto parts and accessories, plastic pellets and plastic products, steel, stainless steel and steel products, air-conditioners and parts, canned and processed seafood, rubber products, gems, jewelry, cosmetics, soaps and skin care products. (MCOT online news)

[tna]2014-07-30[/tna]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woolworths is a supermarket, not a department store.  I hope they are prepared to hand over 51% of their company to Somchia free of charge along with the management.

Woolworths LTD is much more than just a supermarket.

They are also BigW and Masters Hardware and it would be my guess they will be setting up to source more than just tins of pineapple.

• Like 2

With the poor or non existent level of English spoken by many Thais I wondered if they were looking for staff for a moment!

Malaysians speak good English,  the soon to be open Boarders will open up trans natonal employment, and they,d be a Shoe in.

whistling.gif  I didn't know Woolworths was Australian.

I can remember going into Woolworths in Greenfield, Massachusetts in the U.S. in the late 1950's when I was only 10 years old. (1956, 1957)

I always though of it as a U.S. company.

Believe it is out of business now in the U.S. for some years.

But read the headline ..... they say the will open a "sourcing office"  NOT a store.

As I read it that means they will be purchasing supplies in Thailand not selling products?

I once bought canned Tuna in a French owned supermarket chain store in Greece which was clearly labeled (in English) as having been packed in Thailand.

So it goes.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

I can remember going into Woolworths in Greenfield, Massachusetts in the U.S. in the late 1950's when I was only 10 years old. (1956, 1957)

But read the headline ..... they say the will open a "sourcing office"  NOT a store.

As I read it that means they will be purchasing supplies in Thailand not selling products?

I once bought canned Tuna in a French owned supermarket chain store in Greece which was clearly labeled (in English) as having been packed in Thailand.

So it goes.

Both.  There is an American Woolworths and the Australian two totally separate identities.

Woolworths Limited was founded in September of 1924, originally under the name "Wallworths Bazzaar Ltd", a play on the internationally renown F. W. Woolworth name. After discovering the name had not been registered in Australia, and Woolworths had no plans for overseas expansion, the company became "Woolworths Limited" on 22 September 1924

If it caries same range, quality and standards as in Oz, it would put tesco and big c out of business , but then again with somchai management and business practice, most likely will run just as all others

If it caries same range, quality and standards as in Oz, it would put tesco and big c out of business , but then again with somchai management and business practice, most likely will run just as all others

If the import the same quality of fruit and vegetables that Tesco and Big C sell and what is produced in Thailand the Australian customers will definitely walk away and they will go to the wall.

Woolworths is a supermarket, not a department store.  I hope they are prepared to hand over 51% of their company to Somchia free of charge along with the management.

Woolworths LTD is much more than just a supermarket.

They are also BigW and Masters Hardware and it would be my guess they will be setting up to source more than just tins of pineapple.

yep, big business, also largest liquor retailer in Oz, large investments in the poker machine & hotel industry. JV with Tata in India, have a sourcing office in H.K. etc etc

Could be the OP writer is confusing with Woolworths RSA, who have just acquired David Jones Dept Stores in Oz.

So it goes.

Yes I am sure Woolworths is a original American company although as a kid like you I remember a woolworths in our little town in the UK.They traded as the "twopenny and treepenny store" Tupenny and thrupenny!!!.That would have been in the early 50's.I also remember a big huha about something to do with the American Woolworths millionaire Heiress.Not sure now what it was all about but it sure hit the headlines,and yes it does say---- if you people would only read it properly-----It is looking for a SOURCE store .Inother words they want to buy to export,stuff from Thailand
  • Like 1

Why would it carry the same range, quality and standards as in Oz when they are only looking to source from here, Not set up a retail business ?

Can you not read, it say sourcing office which meens it will be searching for products to buy!!!!!
Brain into operation before mouth open.

So it goes.

Yes I am sure Woolworths is a original American company although as a kid like you I remember a woolworths in our little town in the UK.They traded as the "twopenny and treepenny store" Tupenny and thrupenny!!!.That would have been in the early 50's.I also remember a big huha about something to do with the American Woolworths millionaire Heiress.Not sure now what it was all about but it sure hit the headlines,and yes it does say---- if you people would only read it properly-----It is looking for a SOURCE store .Inother words they want to buy to export,stuff from Thailand

Australian Woolworths originated in and has always been Australian.  The American Woolworths is an entirely different animal.

So it goes.

It was about her being part or having something to do with the German Min-felt terrorist group.

A good move for Woolies in light of the fact CP (Charoen Pokphand Group) also intends to capture more of the Australian market. It is also predicted that more discount type supermarkets are likely to open in Australia due to the ongoing success of discount supermarket chain ALDI.  Could it be that “makro” (CP All Plc owed ) is also next to open in Australia too in light of Woolworths moving up to be closer to the front line of sourcing?

Edited by MK1

I remember Woolworth's store in My home town in England. It was next door to Marks and Spencers store. During the second world war. Woolies used to get a batch of ice cream in periodically and to me it was marvelous.I remember too that it had a three penny and six penny sign outside. I heard there is no Woolies in England now. 

• Like 1

So it goes.

In the good old days, even earlier, it was a store that didn't have anything priced over a tanner (sixpence)  when it was then 240 pence to the pound.  now it is 100 p to the pound.

Bit of an early day Pound Stretcher store.-----cheap everyday items.   near to Woolies  you always had a Littlewoods store, a little bit more up market -but had a good cafeteria.   2 of my aunts worked at Woolies  Massive wooden counters round the walls of the shop, and great big wooden circular center counters, one was a sweets counter where you bought pear drops and aniseed balls.thumbsup.gif

they are talking about sourcing goods from Thailand NOT opening stores and if you read the post properley you would know that .  to many people dont bother to fully read a post before making their own in reply .

Reading the OP's that's not what I'm here for, I'm here to read the verbal scratching, kicking and biting that follow.