Imperial Queen's Park Hotel staff told to leave during 2-year renovation

webfact

Nothing special. Don't see anything wrong here, just business.

It's perfectly fine for owners to do as they wish. They didn't open the business because of the staff's wishes. It's just business. Profit.

Did they break laws? No, they paid severance pay and compensation accordingly by the number of working years. Who cares what the staff wants. I'm sure they want a free car before they go, and a month stay at the hotel for free, and tuition paid for their kids. Err... not happening.

Last week they organized a Job Fair exclusively for their staff where other hotels in Bangkok were invited to set up booths.  My hotel's HR department attended.  I heard that there were many employees who have been working there for decades.  The fear is that most of them will be 'too old' to get jobs at other hotels.  My HR department also said while the staff were lovely, the hotel has been managed 'Thai style' and they fear that most of the large international hotel groups would not take them, opting rather to hire younger staff and train them to their standards.  It's the "Can't teach old dogs new tricks" mentality.  I really wish them the best of luck.

Really who gives a damn in the ex pat community, get a life not your business.

The closure makes me sad. I stayed at that hotel in bangkok before moving here and loved the place. The buffet with view over the park is an experience. Now i use the gym there. It's a bit old-fashioned and in need of maintenance, but nothing this drastic. The old-world charm is the appeal of that hotel. What will come instead is an identikit international hotel, slowly changing Bangkok into Singapore one building at a time.

Last week they organized a Job Fair exclusively for their staff where other hotels in Bangkok were invited to set up booths.  My hotel's HR department attended.  I heard that there were many employees who have been working there for decades.  The fear is that most of them will be 'too old' to get jobs at other hotels.  My HR department also said while the staff were lovely, the hotel has been managed 'Thai style' and they fear that most of the large international hotel groups would not take them, opting rather to hire younger staff and train them to their standards.  It's the "Can't teach old dogs new tricks" mentality.  I really wish them the best of luck.

Really who gives a damn in the ex pat community, get a life not your business.

You're apparently on of the "miserable old sods" Stickman talked about recently.