Knee-jerk, rearguard measures won't end school violence: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Knee-jerk, rearguard measures won't end school violence

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The root causes of this tragic situation must be addressed - but to start with, can Thai adults serve as good role models?

The latest student brawl in Bangkok that killed one and injured another student has harshly reminded us an ugly truth in our society. In this case, like most others, death is "not" an unfortunate event. It is a result of bad traditions that have claimed so many lives and have caused so much pain to so many.

On their way home, two students were randomly targeted by a group from a rival vocational school. They tried to flee the scene but were unsuccessful. A group from another school attacked them brutally with swords. One died on the spot while his friend was wounded but managed to flee. The brutal fight happened in Soi Udomsuk, off Sukhumvit Road. Like many other incidents of student violence, it happened before the full glare of the public eye.

Every time it happens, it claims the lives of the innocent. Sometimes, the victim is just a bystander. Many times, including in the latest case in Udomsuk, the targets are randomly attacked and killed. The families of student brawl victims have for long sought tougher measure to tackle the problem but the violence is mounting rather than abating.

Governments and education ministers have stepped up measures to eradicate violence among the vocational school students. They have been told not to wear uniforms to avoid identification of the schools. Get-together events have been arranged for rival schools, which saw them shaking hands before the press. There were temporary shutdown of schools. Motivational speakers gave speeches at various schools. The latest move saw a military-style boot camp arranged to instil good behaviour in students. None of these measures have really borne fruit considering the number of incidents.

Some measures don't really address the root cause. Not wearing a uniform is a short-term, back-against-the-wall measure while at the other end motivational speeches offer a long-term measure.

Any measure must not be a "flash in the pan" if they are aimed at an effective solution. Society reacts to school violence once or twice a year, whereas rival students plan to harm each other every day.

Student brawls are not unique to Thailand but what is worrying is that the scale of violence is escalating. The root causes involve bad tradition of bitter rivalry inherited through the years by the alumni. It is about mob behaviour, which is fuelled in students who are in a high-adrenaline, hormone-driven age. The long-term measures must address attitudes, psychology and badly misguided traditions. They have to be consistently implemented. Adults also have to play a part in setting an example. The violence between the different sides of the political divide has sadly demonstrated that even adults have failed to be good role models.

It will take years, several governments and many education ministries to cope with the school violence. Every section of society and every adult must be involved in the process. The measures must be all-encompassing and systematic, and not a rearguard battle. The values must be in the curriculum and they have to be instilled in the students' psyche. It has to be repeatedly taught and guided, without any loss of focus. Only when the number of cases is drastically reduced can we claim a success. These avoidable tragedies will stop only when the grown-ups get it right, too.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Knee-jerk-rearguard-measures-wont-end-school-viole-30239782.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-30

Ever since junta took power, there has been no cases of student fighting, because there is no reason to. The junta have return happiness to Thai students by playing lovely happy love each other song twice a day in all school. Junta, please ban the usage of the word "junta" in Thailand asap. It hurts my ears every time I heard it used by Falangs.

Ever since junta took power, there has been no cases of student fighting, because there is no reason to. The junta have return happiness to Thai students by playing lovely happy love each other song twice a day in all school. Junta, please ban the usage of the word "junta" in Thailand asap. It hurts my ears every time I heard it used by Falangs.

Poster is either:

a), being sarcastic b.), trolling

c), looney tunes d), showing a balanced and informed opinion

circle appropriate answer on your answer sheet

Edited by lemonjelly

Poster is either:

a), being sarcastic b.), trolling

c), looney tunes d), showing a balanced and informed opinion

circle appropriate answer on your answer sheet

Believe me, "c" is about as close to the truth as you can come. I've read a number of this individual's post, and it's clear he doesn't take his medication as he's supposed to, or lives in an alternate universe. I'm being polite today (still on my 1st cup of coffee), so don't ask me what I really think of him. coffee1.gif

'... a high-adrenaline, hormone-driven age.' The wording suggests era, not kids' ages. Either way, that's rubbish! All kids face the same issues; most don't go charging around swinging swords or waving loaded guns. The problem is a lot of hand wringing but no serious intention of meting out appropriate punishment to these headbangers, along with much hand wringing but no serious proposals for longer term solutions.

I think Thailand should have public caning like in Singapore. Motorbike punks, street thugs, student thugs, and anyone else who wants to mess around...strung up and caned so they can't sit for a month.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c9_1304013159

How would those smug punks act after this??

You really think the students who engage in this sort of violence haven't been beaten, assaulted and physically punished by school, peers and family already? They won't stop if they are beaten more, if anything it will only further fuel their anger and tendency to react violently when angered in the future.

A different approach is needed. Violence only begets violence.

Unless in the likes of Singapore. A system that works fairly well, like it or not.

I think Thailand should have public caning like in Singapore. Motorbike punks, street thugs, student thugs, and anyone else who wants to mess around...strung up and caned so they can't sit for a month.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c9_1304013159

How would those smug punks act after this??

You really think the students who engage in this sort of violence haven't been beaten, assaulted and physically punished by school, peers and family already? They won't stop if they are beaten more, if anything it will only further fuel their anger and tendency to react violently when angered in the future.

A different approach is needed. Violence only begets violence.

Unless in the likes of Singapore. A system that works fairly well, like it or not.
If it works why are public assaults on offenders still being carried out?

However the fact is that Singapore has better systems in place to reintegrate offenders into society. That is a more effective approach than violence.

Not 100% effective I know. Nothing is. However physical punishment is never the answer. It develops a mindset that is in the long term harmful and dangerous for society as a whole.

The rates of reported domestic violence in Singapore are growing year on year. How should this be addressed? More caning? Will that really help?

Violence begets violence.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thailand is rapidly becoming a basket case. It is a relatively affluent, modern society on the surface - and a seething psychological mess underneath. Maybe the country came up so fast economically that its people have the bends. Or perhaps the prehistoric machismo/misogynistic culture is to blame. Or Thai men's love affair with booze and yah-bah.

Whatever the reason, violence is on the increase. Rape, murder, robbery, or gang warfare between schools. . . pick up any newspaper and the sickness at the core of this technically advanced and emotionally retarded society is writ large. Thousands of people end up dead or in jail simply because someone was unable to control their basic emotions.

Social studies lessons at school have palpably failed to turn the tide. Anger management lessons need to be incorporated in the Thai school curriculum - and taught from an early age. A young generation needs to learn that it is possible to lose face without losing your temper.

In the West, we call it growing up.

solution is easy.....make the exams harder.....when I was in school we were almost 60 hours a week in school and the other time we had to learn. Else we wouldn't pass.

If I would have been the worst psychopath, I just wouldn't have time to kill someone.