Married to a Thai, I want to stay in Thailand

Yep, I have.  Are you posting meaningless questions just because you like to see your name in print?

So have we. It's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Interesting.  So you have applied for PR in America?  If not, then how can you say that the Thai process is "not" convoluted compared to the American process?

Yep, I have.  Are you posting meaningless questions just because you like to see your name in print?

So have we. It's not.

I'll put it in words you might understand.  If a person has only ever experienced one thing, they have no basis for comparison, and therefore no valid opinion regarding their experience.

People that have only ever eaten crap thinks it tastes great.

So have we. It's not.

Interesting.  So you have applied for PR in America?  If not, then how can you say that the Thai process is "not" convoluted compared to the American process?
Well as a native user of the English language, I understand the definition of 'convoluted'. Why do I have to compare it with anything else to have an understanding of that words meaning?

You said the process was convoluted. It isn't. The steps are clearly laid out by special branch.

It may not be fast. Not everyone qualifies. But it isn't convoluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by samran

It is quit puzzling to read so many similar posts and understand why many people think this forum will give them ALL the correct information for such a request, when the first thin you should have done is to contact your embassy. Folks here mean well but you will get more advice, some correct, some vague and some outright ill advised.  Good luck and don't forget to keep your passport handy always...

OP - I'm not trying to be smart, but one has to wonder why you didn't inform yourself about these matters before marrying a Thai National, or deciding to live and work in Thailand.

It is quit puzzling to read so many similar posts and understand why many people think this forum will give them ALL the correct information for such a request, when the first thin you should have done is to contact your embassy.

Why would a foreign Embassy know anything about Thailands Immigration policies ? The Thai Immigration offices are the place to ask and as we've seen in the last few days, better to ask from the BKK headquarters. 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just out of curiosity OP, why is 90 day reporting such a hassle? If you could accomplish the 90 day reports, even by mail, it would open a lot of easier options of remaining in Thailand.

He can't find them a hassle.

He said:

...my school completes the 90-day reports for me.

Ohhhhh, right.

Maybe he thinks they are very complex and difficult. Logical step I suppose going for PR or citizenship then.

Cheers S69..................wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is quit puzzling to read so many similar posts and understand why many people think this forum will give them ALL the correct information for such a request, when the first thin you should have done is to contact your embassy.

Why would a foreign Embassy know anything about Thailands Immigration policies ? The Thai Immigration offices are the place to ask and as we've seen in the last few days, better to ask from the BKK headquarters. 

But make sure you have your passport with you and if travelling from outside Bkk, have filled in your TM28 correctlywink.png

tongue.png

Nobody mentioned yet,
Forget about any applications for PR or Citizenship while the Junta are in power.
No minister will be signing anything.

Can you provide the figures for when the PTP, Democrats, PPP, Military junta (2006/7 model) or the TRT were in power?

No, it is not possible, unless you obtain permanent residence or Thai citizenship both of wich are nearly impossible.

You can search on how to to get an extension of stay for reason of marriage, however requires you to show money, a lot of paperwork, to get the same duration of 1 year and the same 90 days reporting.

I am a permanent resident. It is a long, tedious process, but will get you what you want. There are 100 from each country per year allowed.

Google Camerata's Guide to the Permanent Residence Process. It is on Thai Visa.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by Old Man River

I'm doing my citizenship now, as the documents required are mind blowing I seeked the help of the special branch at nontaburi and bangkok police station; they have been super helpful and supportive...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pardon me for asking, but in regards to the marriage certificate, I was told by the US embassy that I would need to send a copy of my marriage cert. to them, along with the proper form, have it translated into Thai and then send all of that to the Thai govt. in order to register my American wedding in Thailand.
Is this the correct path?  Or can I simply have a certified copy made into Thai and present that to the Thai government as proof of my wedding so that it can be registered officially in Thailand?

My view on it, is that as long as you meet the income requirements and you're confident you'll keep your job for a long time, you better apply for citizenship.

Once you fall below the 40K income (or become unemployed), the way back is usually hard and you'll have missed your chance.

The number one requirement for citizenship or permanent residency is the amount of tax paid (on your income in Thailand).

If you have to choose between citizenship and permanent residency  and you're married to a Thai, the choice is easy: choose citizenship - it's easier (less income required) and cheaper.

Edited by kriswillems