Phuket: Westerner caught on camera breaking into home

webfact

Westerner caught on camera breaking into home
The Phuket News

1406787006_1-org.jpg
Perpetrator caught in the act.

PHUKET: -- A busy burglar operating in the Bang Jo area of Cherng Talay was caught on CCTV breaking into yet another house at 7.30pm on July 24. From the footage it appears he is a Westerner – the first known case of a non-Thai burgling homes in Phuket.

The former owner of Diamond Condominiums, Mr Jo D’Hondt, told The Phuket News that his camera had not been working well but when he was finally able to watch the footage on Wednesday night (July 30), he could see the man coming through the woods and climbing over the wall into a neighbour’s property, which was unoccupied at the time.

In his small soi there are four houses, he said. Only his is occupied; the other three are for sale.

There has been a spate of burglaries in the area, suspected to have been perpetrated by the same person. Mr D’Hondt’s house alone has been burgled over four times in five years, while the neighbour’s house has been broken into four times in two years.

He said that the thief had stolen more than 8,000 Euros in cash, expensive watches and many other valuables from his own home.

There have been ongoing problems of burglaries in the area but it is only recently that security cameras have been installed. Many of the homes in the area are usually unoccupied, making them a prime target for break-ins.

The offender is thought to have parked his vehicle behind the woods.

“I want him hunted and caught and thrown into jail!” Mr D’Hondt told The Phuket News.

He said the camera footage clearly showed the burglar’s face and he was shocked when he saw it was a Westerner.

The case has been reported to the police, who are investigating.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/westerner-caught-on-camera-breaking-into-home-47629.php

[pn]2014-07-31[/pn]

I hope there are better images than this one here.The face looks really dark, while those arms are extremely white.  Is that a white mask the perp is wearing?

Looks more like a dark ski or motor mask with a white egdge around the eyes
  • Like 2

I hope there are better images than this one here.The face looks really dark, while those arms are extremely white.  Is that a white mask the perp is wearing?

Looks more like a dark ski or motor mask with a white egdge around the eyes

Not to mention very distinct tattoo markings on his left arm is a dead giveaway.

Skin color is difficult to make out if a pic is made in the dark.....but look at the length of his arms, playing a guessing game I would go for white westerner.

the length of his arms? i have no idea what you are talking about.

i am struggling to see how anyone can possibly tell where he is from. his face is almost completely covered, he is also n the dark and the pic is taken from a cctv camera which is not the best.

he could be from almost anywhere.

• Like 1

It still surprises me how anyone can have 8,000 EUR and expensive watches laying around just waiting to be stolen in a house, especially  if the area is well known for having frequent bugler visits. The first thing I bought when coming to Thailand was a safe.

• Like 1

It still surprises me how anyone can have 8,000 EUR and expensive watches laying around just waiting to be stolen in a house, especially  if the area is well known for having frequent bugler visits. The first thing I bought when coming to Thailand was a safe.

Insurance?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not quite sure why the thief is stealing from his own home.

He needs to advertise his correct address and leave perhaps double the amount, 2x 8,000 Euros, to make it worthwhile for other thieves to join in.  Showing the location of the cameras will be appreciated by the follow up crew.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Insurance?

Cash is not insurable.  Common sense is.wub.png

Of course there are: He said the camera footage clearly showed the burglar’s face and he was shocked when he saw it was a Westerner.

So no doubt there is a video.

Of course there are: He said the camera footage clearly showed the burglar’s face and he was shocked when he saw it was a Westerner.

So no doubt there is a video.

And I did say of course there are... then so doubt there is a video, what I did not know is : However, although the camera showed clearly that the burglar was a westerner and had broken into the house at 7:30pm the thief was wearing a ski maskcheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif how on earth one could know its a westerner?