Thai military arrest army general for extortion

webfact

These people are serious........love it.

More of this General, you are doing a good job.

So when can we see the Junta scrutinizing ALL the top brass of the armed forces and the widely expanded arm of the Privy Council? Honestly, if you knew how rich these guys are you would be shocked. These are the most corrupt institutions in the country!

Until then this guy is just a patsy, a fall guy, charged only to give the military a perceived aura of respectability.

AH ha, an expert I see.  Neither you or I will ever know, until it is brought to the forefront, just how many people are under scrutiny in the fields you have nominated.  And you even know how rich they are.  A clairvoyant as well.  .And gee, these are the most corrupt institutions in the country.  I see that you are also a fully fledged investigator and have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the army and Privy Council.  If you have such knowledge then I suggest you contact the General aa he would be most interested seeing that he is trying his best to rid this country of as much corruption as he can.  Oh, one more thing, can you please tell me just how rich they are so I can believe you and will be shocked by your revelations.

Firstly, this particular general has been arrested for suspicion of extortion after complaints from street vendors and after an investigation had taken place.  He is, however, innocent until proven guilty before the courts.  He does although, have a little problem with his alleged admission of collecting funds for the  owners of the copy written goods.  I just hope he still has the cash otherwise he will find it hard to explain why he does not. 

As for being a patsy, a fall guy, what are the other four civilians arrested over the same matter?  I suppose they too are patsy and fall guys, charged only to give further credibility to the Junta's actions.  Fair Dinkum, in the past two months the Junta, in particular, the General, has proved to have more respectability in his little finger then you  have in your whole body.

You are entitled to your opinion but give us a break with your one sided outlook on what is happening here.  Are you actually living in Thailand or just a disgruntled troll writing garbage that has no foundation.  Substantiate you BS comments and I will be the first to apologise. In addition, it is also an offence to criticize or defame the Junta and with your post you are getting very close in doing that.  One only has to read between the lines to see what you are intimating.      

Edited by Si Thea01

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as Thai people are concerned, the published polls show that they are overwhelmingly in favour of the army at the moment. Personally, I have yet to meet a thai person who isn't verbally in favour of the coup, peace, and reform. I cannot say anything about what they are thinking.
Overall, I'd be going along with the view that a large majority of thai people are content with the current situation.

Again with presumptuous conclusions.

I've met many that are against the military take over, yet do not wish to speak this out loud among colleagues and friends.
I've met many that think it doesn't matter which side you choose, the end result is the same AND I've met people who don't give a rat's ass about anything related to politics in this country.

So where is this overwhelming majority you speak so much about?
Exactly which areas do you hang around in or where do you reside for thats matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I live in ChiangMai. I agree that my sample is ridiculously small and cannot be used to draw solid conclusions about the area and/or country as a whole. Just offering a different perspective and experience than the previous quote. At the same time I can hold an opinion, even if it has no solid statistical basis.

"But he said he took money from traders to pay the owners of the copyrighted goods,"

Love this joust with reality...
So who are the copyright holders and how did he send them their cut?
Open mouth, insert foot to the knee, he admitted taking money from the vendors.
Som nom na mofo!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Someone says around 2k to 5k THb per month per vendor at Patpong. Crazy stuff. I think there are at least 200-300 vendors around patpong.

Good side income by the General.... Looks like the army is also involced in corruption....surprise?!

250 vendors times 2,500 Bt = 625,000 Bt a month, not really very much, and has to be split by many officers, and I'm not saying that to justify corruption.

Not big money, but makes the news and gives visibility. I'm afraid that the only ones gullible enough to believe anything will change are foreigners, especially these praising the military for any action they take.

One thing is sure, tomorrow and next month Patpong vendors will still be there and paying. Just as everybody else that pays up in Thailand.

Someone says around 2k to 5k THb per month per vendor at Patpong. Crazy stuff. I think there are at least 200-300 vendors around patpong.

Good side income by the General.... Looks like the army is also involced in corruption....surprise?!

250 vendors times 2,500 Bt = 625,000 Bt a month, not really very much, and has to be split by many officers, and I'm not saying that to justify corruption.

Not big money, but makes the news and gives visibility. I'm afraid that the only ones gullible enough to believe anything will change are foreigners, especially these praising the military for any action they take.

One thing is sure, tomorrow and next month Patpong vendors will still be there and paying. Just as everybody else that pays up in Thailand.

We posters you talk about were not that gullible when PTP were governing abominably, we did see through that scam.  What is wrong in praising the army for the job they are doing ???      even if we wanted we had nothing much at all to praise the kicked out regime.

Not to be pessimistic but I would agree with Paz. One hopes beyond hope that the current purge is going to be a lasting change  for Thailand, but history begs us to see it otherwise.

And lets face it with the endemic scale of corruption in Thailand, ranging from illegal street stalls to police protection, dodgy bus companies, paid for licenses of every kind, scams, dubious judicial system, nepotism, traffic shakedowns......and so on ad infintum, then I think the saying goes, the NCPO will have their work cut out.

While immigration is seeing a shake up, and Phuket and Bangkok are recieveing makeovers, and the rice scandal is being dealt with, what about all the myriad of other issues in the rest of the country? 

If a change on this scale could be implemented in the next year or so that the military claim they will remain in charge, then I believe Satan will taking a sledge to work. And then when power is handed back to the people will this same zeal be upheld?

as far as Thai people are concerned, the published polls show that they are overwhelmingly in favour of the army at the moment. Personally, I have yet to meet a thai person who isn't verbally in favour of the coup, peace, and reform. I cannot say anything about what they are thinking.
Overall, I'd be going along with the view that a large majority of thai people are content with the current situation.

Again with presumptuous conclusions.

I've met many that are against the military take over, yet do not wish to speak this out loud among colleagues and friends.
I've met many that think it doesn't matter which side you choose, the end result is the same AND I've met people who don't give a rat's ass about anything related to politics in this country.

So where is this overwhelming majority you speak so much about?
Exactly which areas do you hang around in or where do you reside for thats matter?

I live in ChiangMai. I agree that my sample is ridiculously small and cannot be used to draw solid conclusions about the area and/or country as a whole. Just offering a different perspective and experience than the previous quote. At the same time I can hold an opinion, even if it has no solid statistical basis.

Not saying you can't hold an opinion, quite opposite. And you may exaggerate or debate all you want. Never told you couldn't.

All that I said was that to think the majority has the same opinion as some less-than-objective posters here, is a bit naive.

People in Thailand foreign and thai are incredibly selective bunch on what and whom needs to be cleaned up. I am a supporter of "things are done differently in Thailand"group or otherwise known as taddit group. Anybody is welcome to join for small fee of course . IF NOT want to join please continue to not attend the girlie bars, not buy from illegal vendors, and behave as you would in Singapore. The vendors will be paying a new head man within the month or need to close. Either everybody follows all the rules strictly or we make some sacrifice for our freedoms. the general has a fair comment. He was protecting them from all of the law they themselves are breaking. And saving jobs. Hope he gets out soon so he can go on protecting these criminals.

Gosh, the general arrested was getting down into the trenches with his troops (civilian or military) involved in the extortion.   You would figure a big noodle such as the general would only let the little noodles do all the down & dirty work.

Perhaps the good general is being judged too harshly.

I am given to understand that the mark of great officer, one beloved of his men,

is that he doesn't send another man on a mission which he would not be willing 

to undertake himself.

Sounds like a PR stunt.

That's the way it "sounds" to you. Did you know there are medical studies that show cynical people are actually less healthy and die sooner than optimistic people? Or maybe you think I'm lying. 555

Edited by HerbalEd

Good to see, even under a benevolent/military-dictatorship, no one is exempt or immune from corruption detection.

So far it's been very positive and I'm cautiously optimistic. The junta has investigated the source of wealth of politicians, and higher echelon police. I'll be even more optimistic when they start investigating the finances of the upper echelon military officials. The arrest of this general is a good start.

Gosh, the general arrested was getting down into the trenches with his troops (civilian or military) involved in the extortion.   You would figure a big noodle such as the general would only let the little noodles do all the down & dirty work.

Try actually reading the article ... esp. the part about the other four people being arrested. 

Good to see, even under a benevolent/military-dictatorship, no one is exempt or immune from corruption detection.

So far it's been very positive and I'm cautiously optimistic. The junta has investigated the source of wealth of politicians, and higher echelon police. I'll be even more optimistic when they start investigating the finances of the upper echelon military officials. The arrest of this general is a good start.

The wealth of military officials in the upper echelons is usually only realized when a geek(unofficial 2nd wife) claims for share of an estate between the real wife a general in probate cases after they he has passed on.

Questions are then embarrassing raised as to how generals amassed such fortunes.

Hopefully lessons have been learnt from  those experiences in the past as we are now seeing today seen as a prevention measure.rolleyes.gif 

The wealth of military officials in the upper echelons is usually only realized when a geek(unofficial 2nd wife) 

You mean "mia noi". "Gik" is a partner for casual, no-strings attached sex.