Thai Students Cheating Exams

george

Probe into test-leak scandal

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry yesterday launched an investigation into possible exam leaks after about 1,000 students in 100 rural primary schools achieved higher test scores than those in the top 10 schools in Bangkok.

The 1,000 Pathom 6 rural students had an average score of 75 out of 100 in the national test, compared to the 70-point average of students in the capital's best schools.

"The test results for the 1,000 students will not be released until the completion of the probe,'' Education Minister Adisai Bodharamik said. "It is very unusual that their test scores are exceptionally and uniformly high." The probe is expected to be completed on Monday.

Adisai said he suspected school administrators or teachers might have tried to inflate test results in order to help students as well as boost the popularity of their school.

"I suspect the leaks, if they happened, took place at schools. Students might have received tips on questions and their answer sheets might have been tampered with before being sent in for grading," he said.

It was the first year that the ministry administered a national test on all primary-school students.

Basic Education Commission secretary-general Kasama Varavarn dismissed speculation that tutorial schools might have obtained a copy of the test and leaked it to their students.

"The administering of the national test is meant to relieve students from attending tutorial schools. And the test was prepared under a foolproof process," Kasama said.

--The Nation 2004-03-12

Why should this be a surprize! The PM son can do it, and claim, oh..it was an honest mistake.. I thought the papers I brought into my exam, were blank.

You can't blame the upcountry teachers, some Ajaan Yais, with a major mojos, to help his students, it the best Administrative Thai School method. Maybe next time, the ajaan yais will sit in the exams for the students.. .Oh.. I forgot..that is only reserved for the MP going back to get their required "academic", Uppm degrees..

UNIVERSITY TESTS LEAK: Adisai to face grilling

Education minister gives backing to senior bureaucrat involved in scandal

The House committee on education affairs will next week summon Education Minister Adisai Bodharamik to defend the ministry against charges that all nine tests for state university admission were leaked prior to the March 8-10 exams.

The hearing is scheduled for Thursday.

Democrat MP Sanan Suthakul, secretary-general of the opposition party's working group on education, said that the emerging scandal was unprecedented.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a senior education official said that an unidentified senior bureaucrat had sent two subordinates to pick up the nine tests from the printer before they were sealed and distributed to test centres.

"Someone was desperate and wanted a look at the tests," Sanan said, noting that no unauthorised personnel would have access to the printer without a green light from a higher authority.

About 100,000 students last week sat for the university entrance examinations in Thai, social studies, English, mathematics I and II, physical science, physics, chemistry and biology.

Earlier, Higher Education Commission secretary-general Voradej Chandarasorn admitted breaking the seals of two test booklets - Thai and social studies - on March 5. His action was unprecedented, and forced the issuing of two new tests for students.

Voradej insisted last Thursday that he had the right to check the tests.

He argued that the checks were done in good faith in order to prevent typographical errors, which he said had cost his commission Bt600,000 to correct.

Adisai vouched for Voradej, saying leaks had not occurred, because the Thai and social studies tests were scrapped and replaced.

The opposition Democrat Party has turned up the heat, saying that blatant interference in the test administering process was being whitewashed.

"I immediately suspected something was wrong after Adisai tried to shield Voradej," Democrat MP Sanan said.

"The tampering with sealed tests has never happened in the history of university entrance examinations, yet the minister was quick to deny possible leaks," he said.

Sanan wryly noted that Voradej supervised the administration of the tests for years, yet he suddenly wanted to check the tests this year.

"Many people are wondering whether some political bosses had ordered Voradej to tamper with the tests," he said.

For his own good and for the integrity of his office, Voradej should come clean with a detailed account of his involvement in the scandal, Sanan said.

The committee has also summoned Voradej to testify at its hearing on Thursday.

In the summons, the committee criticised Voradej for insisting that he saw only two tests when fresh evidence indicated that he might have obtained all nine tests.

Committee chairman MP Vichit Srisa-an said he would question Voradej to ascertain whether he had committed perjury.

"I was disappointed. Voradej said he checked two tests and evidence indicates otherwise," Vichit said.

He hinted at a lengthy committee hearing on the scandal, saying that he would take as much time as necessary to get to the bottom of the affair.

Deputy Education Minister Sutham Saengprathum said any attempts to tamper with the exams were unacceptable, although he stopped short of commenting on the scandal.

"Questions on the university entrance examination should be directed to my boss Adisai. I don't want to fuel confusion," he said.

--The Nation 2004-03-14

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry yesterday launched an investigation into possible exam leaks after about 1,000 students in 100 rural primary schools achieved higher test scores than those in the top 10 schools in Bangkok.

Errrrmmmmmmmmmm..... I was just thinking: Why can't rural primary school students perform better than those attending Bangkok schools? Is there a law against it? I have seen bangkok students, and they don't all look that bright.

ASIC