Notarization of Marriage Documents

toryboy1979

I am required to have my Thai marriage certificate and its accompanying English translation notarized before a court in the UK will accept them.   I am also informed that because Thailand has not signed the 1961(?) Geneva Agreement or some such document, that a document notarized by a Thai Notary will not be acceptable. 

Is the above correct?

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has genuine knowledge on this subject.

Many thanks

Correct on your thoughts. Have your certificates notarized by the British Consulate. This is the only 100% certification that will be excepted for you any other way  your playing with fire.

The treaty your reefing to is  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

Thank you for your helpful reply.  Spoke to Consulate today and indeed they will notarise my documents but only after I have taken them to the Min of Foreign Affairs Thailand for validation.

They have also told me that whether my documents would be acceptable to the courts in UK after this process depends on the court and I should make contact with them to clarify the matter.   So that's what I've done and I await a reply.

Correct on your thoughts. Have your certificates notarized by the British Consulate. This is the only 100% certification that will be excepted for you any other way  your playing with fire.

The treaty your reefing to is  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

Thank you for your helpful reply.  Spoke to Consulate today and indeed they will notarise my documents but only after I have taken them to the Min of Foreign Affairs Thailand for validation.

They have also told me that whether my documents would be acceptable to the courts in UK after this process depends on the court and I should make contact with them to clarify the matter.   So that's what I've done and I await a reply.

When you have them notarized. there is a MFA office in Chang Mai at city hall.

I was at the British Embassy (Consular Section of course) this week and they refused to 'notarize' my signature on a document, saying that they could only 'certify' it.

Leaves me looking for a Notary in BKK if anyone can recommend one.

Bits and pieces above; not the complete process as I have experienced it.  Somewhat of a round and round, but not so bad, really.  Check about the certification mentioned above.

Steps:

1. English Translation:  Lots of places available.  (A few recommended on TV Chiang Mai; some will take care of the MOFA business for you, too.). No copy? Then, revisit the amphur where you were married to get a copy.

2. MOFA certification of translation at Government Center.  (First floor in large building with a central plaza west of parking on the south side. Normally not available the same day.)

3. Consulate notarization/certification.  Check your government's web site services.

At various steps, you will obviously need identification and various copies of one thing or another.  Forget what, exactly, but not much, really, out of the ordinary. Now, the question of what a court will accept.  The Thai marriage certificate includes more than the the obvious certificate.  There are other forms accompanying it.  Perhaps the court wants to see ALL the forms.  This would apply to confirming marital status or estate probate matters, for example, as I understand it, so more than the court might require similar documentation.

Not to be pessimistic, but should there be a divorce, follow the  steps, as necessary, above.

See also:  http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.status&cid=41

Edited by Mapguy