Garden International School in Ban Chang

I live down the road in Rayong City. Next year we are moving to ban Chang which will hopefully be my last move for a very long time. I will be sending the kids to Garden International.

Does anyone else on the board send kids there or are there any teachers that work there? What's it like etc etc etc

Having lived in Rayong area for over 16 years now I have known several students who have attended both Garden International School and its sister school Rayong English Program School. My friends who had send their kids to Garden actually had more complaints than the kids sent to REPS (never heard a complaint about REPS students), but I think they had far higher expectations as well.

In the past both have hired TEFLers from TEFL International (FOR SHAME!). But the ones I recall, like Shelly, were very good teachers despite the fact that they took a TEFL course. giggle.gif

Edited by brucetefl

GIS will be a big step up. RELS is already better than St. Joseph's (in my opinion). And GIS should be even better.

St Joseph's (as you undoubtedly know) is almost exclusively Thai. RELS has lots of 1/2 Thai kids as does GIS. GIS more outright foreigners, although I do not currently know students who attend GIS, but do know a handful that attend St. Andrews. All are a step up from St. Joseph's (again my opinion).

GIS will be a big step up. RELS is already better than St. Joseph's (in my opinion). And GIS should be even better.

St Joseph's (as you undoubtedly know) is almost exclusively Thai. RELS has lots of 1/2 Thai kids as does GIS. GIS more outright foreigners, although I do not currently know students who attend GIS, but do know a handful that attend St. Andrews. All are a step up from St. Joseph's (again my opinion).

I've no doubt at all. GIS is the school we will use. St Jo's is ok, but has big turn around of farang english teachers that annoys the life out me

Honestly, while all have employed TEFLers in the past, at least RELS and GIS are really selective. St. Josephs seems to employ anyone with a pulse. But the pay was also much better at the former.

Edited by brucetefl

• 1 month later...

Agree largely with what the other posts have said. GIS is an international school, like Regent's or ISE, while REPS and St Joseph's are bilingual schools. GIS offers IGCSE and IB and only has teachers with PGCE or equivalent. I'd agree that it is a big step from REPS or St Joseph's to an international school, but if the students' English is good enough, it's a step worth taking.

Chao Lao, no problem.

GIS (Garden International School) and ISE (International School Eastern Seaboard) are the local schools. IGCSE and IB are exams (GCSEs are the tests 16-year-olds in the UK take; IGCSE is the international version). The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a pre-university course.

Teachers usually need a post-graduate certificate of education (PGCE) to teach in the UK and in international schools.

Hope that helps. Can see how that first post could have been confusing!

How do you compare St Andrews to GIS, the reason I ask this, is that I will also be moving to Ban Change soon with children. I do notice that St Andrews is the more expensive, any particular reason for this?.

Beginning to stress out with schools as I have several children to cater for from pre-school to P6. Also moving to Pattaya general area either to the north or to the South as in Rayong, school obviously the most important factor but reasonable fees essential. Currently living near Bangkok paying around 75k per year each child at a reasonable EP school plus transport and clothes and books comes to a little over 100k each.

Looking for a similar school as we can move where we wish pretty much but EP is a minimum and would prefer a school with sports facilities on site eg. Swimming pool and football / gym. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by timewilltell
  • Like 1

Timewilltell, if you are heading to Rayong and looking for an EP school, then REPS may be the best option. If you want a full international school, then Garden International School is right next door, so you could check out both at the same time. Both have a swimming pool, football pitch, basketball courts and an athletics track.

In terms of which school is better value, there is certainly a difference in the fees. Garden International School is the only school in the region to have full accreditation from the Council of International Schools (CIS), which maybe something worth considering. Both schools offer IGCSE and IB exams and have similar results.

• Like 1

So REPS - Rayong English Program School has sort of similar facilities if you ignore the accreditation thing and similar results. Sounds like facilities will match my kids too so will check that out. Much obliged for the advice there.

Any ideas on waiting lists as I have 4 kids - 3 pretty bright, one a little less so - to enrol. Also an idea on fees if possible.

I would also like to get an idea of what areas to explore for housing around there and likely rental costs unfurnished house suitable for the above plus one seedling :-) and of course me and the better half. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by timewilltell

No problem. Outside facilities are similar, yeah, but Garden has full computer suites, science labs, music rooms and other things, which REPS doesn't.

In terms of housing, rock bottom would be 8,000baht for a house; most people I know rent for 15,000-20,000 baht.

Sorry, don't know about waiting lists or fees for REPS.

Edited by penkrew
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...