Retirement in Thailand. At what age does it become unworkable?

NCC1701A

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't now really, I am 68.
The only negative so far is driving long distances.
Just returned from a trip to Cha Am (live around Udon Thani) and I disliked the bad roads, stupid U-turn, heavy traffic 200kms around Bangkok.
I usually fly to Bangkok or Phuket, will reconsider doing just that.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I live in America. I am far away from retirement. Anyway, do you think its actually better in USA. Teens are playing the knockout game. They will find an old person called a target. Once spotted they will punch them so hard in the face that it knocks them out.

At least in Thailand old people are treated with respect and decency.

Here the bar girls do the same but just make an old guy think age is just a number and steal all his money and leave him with nothing. A knock int he face is maybe better then. I know what I would prefer.

• Like 2

Would 70's be OK?  I go to immigration 20 minutes per year; hand them my papers and 1900 baht and don't listen to rumors on rumor mongering web sites. 

I go to the bank and know the manager and his assistant both of whom speak English, no problems. 

I go to the doctor 4 times a year; he and all the staff at the department I go to speak English no problems. 

I don't drive a car much.  I drive my motor scooter because its fun, fast and I can carry the groceries but the doctor says I should walk an hour a day so don't drive too much. 

I have a network of Thai women who help me do anything I like and have known them for many years. 

A lot of stress this year.  I went to Bangkok to get a new passport during the coup but no problems.  I went back to pick up my passport with no problems.  I took my Thai wife with me and told her to pay attention because she will be doing the next one when I'm in my 80's. 

70 is still quite young. I mean if i see my dad only a few more years and he is sharp of mind and strong of body.. 80.. that is a different story.

Other than the 90 day reporting and the new visa every 12 months, I don't see too much added hassle. The medical side of things does concern me a little, even though my health is pretty good at 72, I wouldn't want to be hit with huge hospital bills from a private hospital.  A neighbour, just spent a night in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital and they wanted 40,000 baht up front before they would even admit him. I probably wouldn't have much choice but to head back to Australia if I was looking at a lengthy hospital stay.

• Like 1

Other than the 90 day reporting and the new visa every 12 months, I don't see too much added hassle. The medical side of things does concern me a little, even though my health is pretty good at 72, I wouldn't want to be hit with huge hospital bills from a private hospital.  A neighbour, just spent a night in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital and they wanted 40,000 baht up front before they would even admit him. I probably wouldn't have much choice but to head back to Australia if I was looking at a lengthy hospital stay.

That is the only thing about getting old here.. its hard to enter the hospital system here unless you worked here for a while you can keep on paying into the system and using it. If you don't insurance will get real expensive at age. Now my insurance is quite affordable but it will go up and up and up.

Would 70's be OK?  I go to immigration 20 minutes per year; hand them my papers and 1900 baht and don't listen to rumors on rumor mongering web sites. 

I go to the bank and know the manager and his assistant both of whom speak English, no problems. 

I go to the doctor 4 times a year; he and all the staff at the department I go to speak English no problems. 

I don't drive a car much.  I drive my motor scooter because its fun, fast and I can carry the groceries but the doctor says I should walk an hour a day so don't drive too much. 

I have a network of Thai women who help me do anything I like and have known them for many years. 

A lot of stress this year.  I went to Bangkok to get a new passport during the coup but no problems.  I went back to pick up my passport with no problems.  I took my Thai wife with me and told her to pay attention because she will be doing the next one when I'm in my 80's. 

70 is still quite young. I mean if i see my dad only a few more years and he is sharp of mind and strong of body.. 80.. that is a different story.
70 is quite young? Maybe if you're 99 years old. The average life span of a man is 74 years. If I live past 75 then I will be fortunate or unfortunate. Depends what life will be like in 30-40 years from now.
  • Like 1

I live in America. I am far away from retirement. Anyway, do you think its actually better in USA. Teens are playing the knockout game. They will find an old person called a target. Once spotted they will punch them so hard in the face that it knocks them out.

Here the bar girls do the same but just make an old guy think age is just a number and steal all his money and leave him with nothing. A knock int he face is maybe better then. I know what I would prefer.

Once again you get your ageist dig in and assume that anyone over 60 is stupid and just prey to bar girls.  Myself and the dozen or so close friends I have here are all married or have long term paartners, and if we do go to a bar, it's with them. You associate all the older expats as doing nothing but hanging out in bars waiting to be fleeced.

Was no agist dig.. but if you want to read that into it be happy about it you found it.

70 is quite young? Maybe if you're 99 years old. The average life span of a man is 74 years. If I live past 75 then I will be fortunate or unfortunate. Depends what life will be like in 30-40 years from now.

70 is quite young to be a total invalid who cant move and do a thing. Maybe I should have made that clear. If I look at my dad he can do everything no problems. As in age span if average age is 74 sure its old. I was talking more health wise and stuff.

There is a reason - or many good reasons people like it better here than their home country........to me it's a lot better and friendlier place than what the home country offers.....complain as you will - if you wish to enjoy life this is a nice place to pursue your retirement.....whatever pace you decide you wish.....

• Like 1

Once again you get your ageist dig in and assume that anyone over 60 is stupid and just prey to bar girls.  Myself and the dozen or so close friends I have here are all married or have long term paartners, and if we do go to a bar, it's with them. You associate all the older expats as doing nothing but hanging out in bars waiting to be fleeced.

Was no agist dig.. but if you want to read that into it be happy about it you found it.

Clear it up for me then, how exactly should I interpret "bar girls making an old guy think age is just a number and steal all his money and leave him with nothing"?

• Like 2

70 is quite young to be a total invalid who cant move and do a thing. Maybe I should have made that clear. If I look at my dad he can do everything no problems. As in age span if average age is 74 sure its old. I was talking more health wise and stuff.
Sorry. You would be correct. I've seen plenty of guys at 70 who are physically fit. I guess it depends on genes and how the person takes care of their body. If I could be like Jack Lalane and do the things that he did in his 90s that would be a blessing.
  • Like 2

Clear it up for me then, how exactly should I interpret "bar girls making an old guy think age is just a number and steal all his money and leave him with nothing"?

It was in response to knocking an old guy unconscious (does that happen to every old guy in the US  or just a few). Now does every old guy get fleeced here ? As you said no. Both are things that COULD happen. I just think its rare and a non remark. So i responded with a bit BS.  

74 years? what country are you from?

74 years? what country are you from?

I think it's 76 in the US, not surprising when you see the average waistline, it's 82 in my country, Australia.

• Like 1

obvious I guess but people age at very different rates. Some 40 y o seem to think they are 'old', some 70 y o think they are 'young'

Apart from general health, which most of us can help along with diet, less booze, no fags and more exercise , a lot of how old you are/feel  is between your ears.

But if the op is nervous about bureaucracy 'stress' etc for the future, at just 58, then maybe better to be within his comfort zone and be less stressed about all the differences associated with life in Thailand.

Just a thought..

• Like 2

In America the kids trying to knock out gramps pick him out.  In Thailand the bar girls are picked out by gramps.  That's 180 degree difference. 

If gramps is smart enough yes.. else he gets fleeced (and so does junior)

• Like 1

if it ever come to the stage that i need to associate in any form with the personal transport mafia more than once every five years, i am then calling it quits and outta here fast.

public non personal transport is fine though eg bus train skytrain songthaew in most places except chiang mai, etc.

I think there is a large gap between being fully independent and dependent on others. A little help from trusted friends, some checks and balances amongst professionals and some monitoring by close family. You move the levels accordingly for different services and needs. Both of my parents died just short of 90, but each had very different needs 5 years before their deaths.

Physically, some of us may not need any help until palliative care is required, but others may have needed assistance getting off the plane. Mentally, some of us may readily forget important appointments and deadlines, so trusted help will forever be essential whereas some will always be as sharp and retentive as any Uni student. Social and emotional needs run the full gamut so we seek and adjust accordingly.

"Know yourself" was important when we started our careers and becomes equally important in our retirement years. Plan and prepare for yourself accordingly or as some seem to prefer to manage themselves by chaos and crises.
  • Like 2

That is the only thing about getting old here.. its hard to enter the hospital system here unless you worked here for a while you can keep on paying into the system and using it. If you don't insurance will get real expensive at age. Now my insurance is quite affordable but it will go up and up and up.

Statistically speaking hospitals are just about the most dangerous places to be in the United States. Three times as many people die every year due to medical errors in hospitals as die on our highways — 100,000 deaths compared to 34,000. The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that nearly 100,000 people die annually in hospitals from medical errors. Of this group, 80,000 die from hospital acquired infections, many of which can be prevented. Given the above number of admissions that means that 1 out of every 370 people admitted to a hospital dies due to medical errors. So hospitals are very dangerous places.  Hospital customer care is abysmal. Recent studies reveal that the average wait time in American hospital emergency rooms is approximately 4 hours. Name one other business where Americans would tolerate this low level of value and service.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/03/onethird-hospitals-close-2020.html

Nice statistics.. Now can i see statistics of what would have happened to people who did not go to hospitals. I would think that many of them are in need of operations and quite often DIE if they don't get treatment. I can understand people dying in hospitals as they are not the most healthy people to start with when they go there.

I am 58. My dad lived to be 92. I watch him go about this business in the USA, dealing with banks, medical insurance, hospitals, IRS. He passed his drivers license test at 91. It was hard enough at 85 dealing with this stuff in his own country.  

My point is I am wondering with all the added problems of living in Thailand, and there are so many I can not list them here, at what age does it become impossible to deal with all of this in Thailand? I could not imagine being 85 and standing in line at immigration and not understanding what this weeks new problem is? Or being told something that is incorrect that stresses you out. Or being made to jump through paperwork red tape hoops at 85 to get your "visa" or driver license.

Or a simple bank problem that requires you to go to the bank in person only to find the person who speak English is on vacation.

Or dealing with condo ownership over 20 years in Thailand, especially if the building is not being kept up.

Any people on this forum in their 80's? just wondering how you do it? do you hire people to run around for you? How are you treated at immigration? 

I see many retired couples (no Thai wife) running around, so I know you are out there.

nobody wants to be 60+ years old and have to report every 90 days and crap like that. Why I want to get citizenship before I'm a pensioner.

People in their 80's could do it probably, depending on health. Not many come at that age so they should have had many years to learn the language, unless they live somewhere like Pattaya. If they did live somewhere like that, they could hire a 'nurse;.

When my father dies, I'm thinking of taking my mother over here to look after her. If she dies first, my father, 78, wants to come over here to live and find a new wife! 

I know a few guys in their mid/late  60s who, although grumpy, still have most their faculties and can handle immigration, driving tests etc.

Another guy thinking that Thailand is just about bar and girls.

• Like 2