EXPATRIATE ID CARD ... DIY...

So - the Deputy Commander of the Bangkok Immigration office says 'Don't Worry' ... we don't have to carry our passport all the time, we can substitute a Thai DL (if you have one) or have a photo copy of your passport, visa page and relevant stamps. This is not a direct quote but the way I like to describe what he said - done accurately.

This is better news than we have been hearing and reading about: But how about a way to get Thai Immigration to seize upon the idea of a issuing a handy Passport/Visa Card ... the size of a typical DL with color photo ... I would call it the...

EXPATRIATE RESIDING IN THAILAND
Identification Reference Card

The card would have:
DL size photo
Full Name same as on Passport
Current Address - Name of Residence if Hotel, Resort, Guest House, etc.
Home Country (Country Issuing the Passport)
Passport Number and Date of Issue / Expiry Date
Category of Visa / Extension of Stay based on ________
Date Visa or EoS Granted - Last Entry (if applicable)
Work Permit number (if applicable)

(with short small print in the Thai Language as to what the card is) - perhaps print Info on back side
(use same small print in the Thai Language to annotate what the blocks of information are)

How would we get one? ... Answer - Do it ourselves using an on line website

I know there is an Expat on TVF who could write the code. And the site would not hold the info - blocks cleared on exit)

Enter your data - make your card - print it out on a color printer... laminate it - or print on thick card stock.
If you get a new visa / passport, changed categories, renewal of Extension of Stay... make a new one.

To stifle abuse - the card must be paid for by debit or credit card with all normal on line data entered. Charge 30 Baht or more and proceeds go to paying the hosting service and perhaps to the programmer - code writer for updates and maintenance - paid via PayPal.

I know the onslaught of laughter, ridicule, flaming, and nasty comments will come forth flowing - but I am doing it anyway. I would seriously like to promote a card similar to one used in Malaysia that I saw posted the other day. Why not? We are always full of criticism of the Immigration system -- LET'S SHOW THEM HOW TO DO IT...

And for those who see the sense of it ... please correct some of my assumptions, data block items, terminology, etc. And - please suggest ideas how such a concept could be made to come about and actually work.

By the way -- I am not saying such a card would be a substitute for a Thai DL or a Photocopy of Passport and Visa ... but in addition to one of those.... to supply info not on those forms of ID

Okay - I have my motorcycle helmet on with face shield down ... FIRE AWAY....

• Like 2

What about making a downloadable word Document / template where everyone on his own computer could enter the data, and then print it out to get laminated ?

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

I guess a reasonable idea but the problem is that they could be easily forged

The current system is fine but everyone should be prepared to give access to or produce their passport when requested, this will be done by either going to your residence with the official or having someone bring the passport to your location, you will not be allowed to just go and get it yourself for obvious reasons

I guess a reasonable idea but the problem is that they could be easily forged

The current system is fine but everyone should be prepared to give access to or produce their passport when requested, this will be done by either going to your residence with the official or having someone bring the passport to your location, you will not be allowed to just go and get it yourself for obvious reasons

I understand that -- but anyone making a fake and stupid enough to use it would be violating the law and held responsible.

And - the ultimate purpose it to generate the idea for Thai Immigration to do it in the future

• Like 1

What about making a downloadable word Document / template where everyone on his own computer could enter the data, and then print it out to get laminated ?

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Very good idea...

Expatriate (Alien) Residing in Thailand...

I really want Thai Immigration to do it ... and I know they wouldn't really accept it in lieu of proper ID - Thai DL and copy of P.P. but while waiting for Thai immigration to take on this concept -- one would have a handy dandy reference of dates and numbers for issuance of Passport and Visa... plus can every one of us spell out - if we had to our soi address and get it exactly correct from memory?... Old timers probably can - but I move around a lot...

Edited by JDGRUEN

I really want Thai Immigration to do it ... and I know they wouldn't really accept it in lieu of proper ID - Thai DL and copy of P.P. but while waiting for Thai immigration to take on this concept -- one would have a handy dandy reference of dates and numbers for issuance of Passport and Visa... plus can every one of us spell out - if we had to our soi address and get it exactly correct from memory?... Old timers probably can - but I move around a lot...

Actually some years back, immigration was going to do just this, I remember reading it on TV, but as with a lot Thailand cunning bureaucratic plans, they typically fall by the wayside over time, but one suspects with the current crack down's, impending finger printing a Thai airports etc, one suspects it will only be a matter of time before this comes a reality in Thailand.

The tricky part for them is as your only on a year turn about a time it will get quite labour intensive trying to issue this annually, I suppose its possible they could issue some sort of card to WP holders, same as a Thai DL, as provided your in the same job, your WP number doesnt change over the years

however I would see a relcutance to issue these with visa status, dates of extension etc as a "legal ID" and rely on this as form of offical "document", as it will create a whole new industry on Khao San road in fake ID cards and we will be back to having to produce a passport anyway.

So although a nice idea in principle, can also see a few pitfalls to this cunning plan

Actually some years back, immigration was going to do just this, I remember reading it on TV, but as with a lot Thailand cunning bureaucratic plans, they typically fall by the wayside over time, but one suspects with the current crack down's, impending finger printing a Thai airports etc, one suspects it will only be a matter of time before this comes a reality in Thailand.

The tricky part for them is as your only on a year turn about a time it will get quite labour intensive trying to issue this annually, I suppose its possible they could issue some sort of card to WP holders, same as a Thai DL, as provided your in the same job, your WP number doesnt change over the years

however I would see a relcutance to issue these with visa status, dates of extension etc as a "legal ID" and rely on this as form of offical "document", as it will create a whole new industry on Khao San road in fake ID cards and we will be back to having to produce a passport anyway.

So although a nice idea in principle, can also see a few pitfalls to this cunning plan

I see your points -- but it works in other countries. Similar to a Thai DL ... if Thailand issued a long stay Expatriate Alien Card (not for short term tourists)... it could have a ID number that could be verified by computer entry into an online database... The BiB figures out fake Thai DLs - or do they?

What I was doing prior to getting a Thai driving license was to scan my passport front page & permission to stay page, shrink them so they are the right size and print & laminate in a photo shop to credit card size.

So here's an idea for visa/photo/etc shop owners: do a service where you scan those pages and print directly on a plastic card. 300-500b, ok I'd get one.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Just take your passport to a copy shop and have them copy your photo page and latest extension stamp or visa have it reduced to business card/ credit card size, have it laminated. Photo page on one side and visa info on the back. Also very cheap to get done.

but it works in other countries. Similar to a Thai DL ... if Thailand issued a long stay Expatriate Alien Card (not for short term tourists)... it could have a ID number that could be verified by computer entry into an online database... The BiB figures out fake Thai DLs - or do they?

and therein is a question... does it work in other countries ?, but which ones actually issue ID cards to people who are on 1 years approvals on visa's/extensions ?

I can see this in other countries for people who are working in that country for a period of time, but all other visa/extension groups ?

As regards the ID number/ on line data base thing, again nice idea, but if you get stopped in the street, not much access to an on line data base is there ?.... however having the PP on you or copy is almost instananeous proof

Edited by Soutpeel

Just take your passport to a copy shop and have them copy your photo page and latest extension stamp or visa have it reduced to business card/ credit card size, have it laminated. Photo page on one side and visa info on the back. Also very cheap to get done.

and this is no different than me carrying the said photos in my wallet or on my Phone, the problem with photos is that they can be doctored and edited to look and show whatever you want.

Remember that the Thai authorities will be checking you out because they suspect you are breaking the law in some way

IMO there will never be a replacement for your original passport being produced in person when requested unless the thai authorities want to invest in a complex IT system of finger printing and cross reference which would be made available to all agencies with terminals at police stations etc, do any of you have an idea of the costs involved, perhaps at some point in the future this would be possible

For now "the only document that 100% validates - who - what and when - whilst you are in Thailand is your original passport along with you in person"

unless the thai authorities want to invest in a complex IT system of finger printing and cross reference which would be made available to all agencies with terminals at police stations etc, do any of you have an idea of the costs involved, perhaps at some point in the future this would be possible

I have an idea about the costs. Implementation time 2-3 years, IT team of around 20 with salaries around 80k. Around 60M baht. Where can I submit an offer ? tongue.png

Ought to be easy enough just to copy the e-government from somewhere else. Like Estonia, where even voting is connected to it.

Immigration could get machines like what they use to make DL's.

Input the info in the computer, take photo, print on plastic card.

Update yearly the same time you do your extension.

The cost of the extension and ID card could be put on the same receipt.

Why not stop worrying?

My topic thread is not about worrying ... not sure if you read what was in my OP ... it is about stimulating the Thai Immigration Authorities to use a more handy - safe and secure way of identifying Expatriates ...

Worry? ... wow! I think you need to take a few insight vitamins.

and this is no different than me carrying the said photos in my wallet or on my Phone, the problem with photos is that they can be doctored and edited to look and show whatever you want.

Remember that the Thai authorities will be checking you out because they suspect you are breaking the law in some way

IMO there will never be a replacement for your original passport being produced in person when requested unless the thai authorities want to invest in a complex IT system of finger printing and cross reference which would be made available to all agencies with terminals at police stations etc, do any of you have an idea of the costs involved, perhaps at some point in the future this would be possible

For now "the only document that 100% validates - who - what and when - whilst you are in Thailand is your original passport along with you in person"

My idea was not presented as a replacement for a real passport, Rather just as a Thai DL or copies of a Passport relevant pages are not replacements... but temporary adjuncts - that in many cases would suffice. And as stated a my idea would hopefully be a stimulus for Thai Immigration Authorities to issue as safe, simple and secure card that keeps one from risking compromise of their passport.

but it works in other countries. Similar to a Thai DL ... if Thailand issued a long stay Expatriate Alien Card (not for short term tourists)... it could have a ID number that could be verified by computer entry into an online database... The BiB figures out fake Thai DLs - or do they?

and therein is a question... does it work in other countries ?, but which ones actually issue ID cards to people who are on 1 years approvals on visa's/extensions ?

I can see this in other countries for people who are working in that country for a period of time, but all other visa/extension groups ?

As regards the ID number/ on line data base thing, again nice idea, but if you get stopped in the street, not much access to an on line data base is there ?.... however having the PP on you or copy is almost instananeous proof

The point is being missed ... I have posted several clarifications

OP, just how much time do you have on your hands to waste it on pointless nonsense like this? Jeez, get a life.

The same amount of time you took to criticize it - but I read the OP first...

And Malaysia considers their ID Card nonsense too... that is why they issue it ... holders of the Malaysian card like it.

Edited by JDGRUEN

We have Passport Cards for US passport holders which are optional and another form of photo ID.

Thailand would have to begin yesterday to implement an "alien ID card" beginning in 2020. Who will take the contract and all their money for yet another "vaporware" computer system to remain underutilized on all those desks? No offense intended but this is and will remain a developing country. I like it that way. Thank someone for dropping the whole nucular power plant plan.

Edited by grantbkk
  • Like 1