Best time for Talat Rot Fai (Train market) Srinakarin Soi 51 - Seacom Square

BKKdreaming

Hi

I was planning on going Saturday night to the Talat Rot Fai (Train market) Srinakarin Soi 51 near Seacom Square

when do they start setting up and what is the best time to be there ?

and is the best way to go to On Nutt BTS and get a taxi ?

thanks for your help

You can go to Udomsuk BTS, take exit 5, and walk a 100m or so down Udomsuk Road (Soi 103) where you will see some songthaews waiting. It costs 7 baht to go to Seacon Square (it's Seacon , not Seacom).

The correct songthaew will have

ซีคอน

"Seacon" listed as a one of the destinations on a sign, or you can just say Seacon and they will tell you.

Returning, I couldn't find where to get this same songthaew back, but I waited at the bus stop on the opposite side of the road from the Paradise Park shopping Mall (very near by the market) and caught a white songthaew no.4 that went back to Big C OnNut for 9 baht ( you could obviously get this songthaew from Big C On Nut to the market as well).

Best time to go is around 7pm, as the live music is usually going in the various bars by then.

I would choose to go from On Nut at that time of day. The songthaew will have the characters in Thai per the above post in large blue lettering. It will be the only one with four characters (omitting the vowel on the first one). Both Udomsuk and On Nut can have bad traffic, especially at 7:00 pm. However, my experience is that Udomsuk tends to get backed up even more and barely move. I avoid Udomsuk at all costs when I am in the car. On my motorbike, I take Udomsuk quite often. I live somewhere between Udomsuk and On Nut in that mess of neighborhoods back there! Srinakarin Road has been under construction for a decade. I don't think they will ever finish. However, it seems to be alright when heading from On Nut to Seacon Square. It becomes a real mess as you approach Seacon Square at that time of day because of Talad Rot Fai (The Railway Market). Unfortunately, the entrance for cars is just after one of the main exits from Seacon Square. This causes a serious clusterf**k. When the Songthaew stops moving on Srinakarin, you should be able to see Seacon Square. If you don't mind walking, I would just get off then. Continue south until after Seacon Square. Then go left into the market. Walking will be a lot faster than waiting for the Songthaew. **NOTE: While the Songthaew's sign says Seacon in Thai, it does not terminate there. It continues to Paradise Park. Talad Rot Fai is located between the two massive shopping malls with the entrance immediately south of Seacon Square.

To be honest, if you don't mind being on the back of a motorbike ... I would simply take a motorbike taxi from Udomsuk. It will save you a lot of time. Even on weekends, this area gets very congested because everyone and their extended family decides to go shopping at one or both of these shopping malls plus the market every weekend. It's very irritating!

To be honest, if you don't mind being on the back of a motorbike ... I would simply take a motorbike taxi from Udomsuk. It will save you a lot of time. Even on weekends, this area gets very congested because everyone and their extended family decides to go shopping at one or both of these shopping malls plus the market every weekend. It's very irritating!

Most dont go shopping....just free airconrolleyes.gif

Flicking through those Trip Advisor photos, the food offering looks stunningly boring - just the same cr"p thats in the environs of every supermarket and PTT pam namman in the land. Chatuchak Green's food offering is miles better than what is portrayed here

Flicking through those Trip Advisor photos, the food offering looks stunningly boring - just the same cr"p thats in the environs of every supermarket and PTT pam namman in the land. Chatuchak Green's food offering is miles better than what is portrayed here

A short review from my visit last night....

We started at mt Thai buddies place on Soi 71 at a little before 5pm and had traffic all the way.....

the road the main road the train market is on at Soi 51 was backed up from about Soi 21.....again 5pm traffic

Once we got there parking was 40 baht...

it is a big place , the area farthest away from the parking lot is a classic car show area with a band which had not started yet,

there are 3-4 rows of buildings with a marked off sales are in front of these buildings...

The buildings are full of shops with "antiques" and collectables , mostly from the USA and Europe , a little Japan with some Thai stuff too.....

the was very few of the marked off spots between the buildings with sellers.

I liked the stuff they had for sale / display .....they had a good eye for picking things with style , but I am not sure if all of it was for sale,

plus most of the Thais there were young and not customers for this stuff , so if you wanted to open a shop to show off this is the place , but from what I saw it was not a selling place for that stuff......

then there were rows and rows of clothes for sale , some new vintage style stuff , vintage style T shirts etc and many places selling used USA clothes and purses / bags

also like any Thai market many trendy food places , plus the normal Thai food....

and then the covered buildings nearest the street had mostly new clothes ,

There were 1000s of people and swarms more coming in at 8pm when we left , I only saw a handful of tourists, this place is so far off the grid that most tourists would never know about it , it is not JJ market ,it is for the locals....

So maybe 20% cool stuff, the rest clothes , food etc

Would I go again , YES , but I like the collectible stuff , I own that kind of stuff and would buy more......this was just a short trip with my friend to check it out , I will be back next trip,,,,,

I hoped that helped , go out there , have fun and buy a few things !

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought I should add that the market is only open Thurs.- Sunday. So that would be the best time to go. Found that out yesterday!

True!

It is quite an enjoyable market though with some really great stuff to look at and browse through. Some of the bars and live band setups are pretty fun.