Black Mould on Roof Tiles

raybarrell

Has anyone information if it is possible to buy a liquid detergent, that will kill the black mould, that accumulates on roof tiles, from the rain here in Thailand?

It would be useful if it was a spray on solution,  and wash off, rather than scrub the tiles, clambering up on the roof!.

If anyone has information as to a name of a product one can buy, also where there are stockists, it would be very helpful?

For a first run, I'd try plain old laundry bleach.  You may find it cheaper in bulk at pool supply shops.

Dilute it with water, spray it on an inconspicuous patch of the roof, wait a few minutes and then hose it off.

If it works on a small patch, go wild. (Following the nanny safety labeling on the packaging, of course)

Edited by impulse

Thanks for your tip, I looked for Bleach in Makro this week but could not find any! Do you know what the Thai word is for Bleach as my wife is unsure what this liquid is all about?

I have a swimming pool, but have never seen Bleach for sale in the pool shop?  Do hardware shops sell this in Gallon containers if so I will try your advice! Thx

Here's what I use to clean the bathroom, clean towels and whites, defunk my shower, toilet and tiles, and unstink my pipes that don't have proper drains on them:

At the swimming pool shop, it's just chlorine.  Dilute it properly and it's great for killing mold and mildew and getting rid of the black stains.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

Here's what I use to clean the bathroom, clean towels and whites, defunk my shower, toilet and tiles, and unstink my pipes that don't have proper drains on them:

At the swimming pool shop, it's just chlorine.  Dilute it properly and it's great for killing mold and mildew and getting rid of the black stains.  

Good luck!

Thanks a lot will definitely try it !

New roof tiles are not water proof "they are porous the mould that grows on the tile
is what ceals them.
You can clean the tiles and they will leak again!
The only way to fix this problem is to one by one remove the tiles scrub clean with a
bathroom mould cleaner, porcelin cleaner, something like "Vixal".
Let them dry then paint with a roof tile paint that sets like a glass glaze.
Thats going to be a b--s---d of a job,
If you own the house, you might think about replacing the roof with glazed tile.
Its a lot easyer and then clean and sell the existing tile.
"Wise investment"

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

New roof tiles are not water proof "they are porous the mould that grows on the tile
is what ceals them.
You can clean the tiles and they will leak again!
The only way to fix this problem is to one by one remove the tiles scrub clean with a
bathroom mould cleaner, porcelin cleaner, something like "Vixal".
Let them dry then paint with a roof tile paint that sets like a glass glaze.
Thats going to be a b--s---d of a job,
If you own the house, you might think about replacing the roof with glazed tile.
Its a lot easyer and then clean and sell the existing tile.
"Wise investment"

Or, you can clean them the best you can and do it again next year.  Or clean them the best you can and then spray them with a water based sealant.

I wouldn't replace a roof until it needs replacing.  Certainly not one that just needs cleaning.

But when it is time to replace the roof, the glazed tiles are a great idea.  They'll still grow mold and turn black though-especially on the shady side of the house.