Thailand to waive visa fees for Chinese, Taiwanese tourists

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The uneducated commonly believe that all "chinese" people are "yellow-skinned", thereby different than Caucasions who are white-skinned. And by this perceived color difference, people establish a "them" versus "us" in terms of establishing cultural superiority and advantage. Yet, the Uyghurs, Kazaks, Khalkhas, Tajiks, Uzbeks and Chinese Russians in Xinjiang have white skin.  Even the predominant Han Chinese are not today a pure bloodline due to breeding with nomadic tribes throughout history, foreign immigrants, and inter-marriages. Thailand's move to waive visa fees for chinese is commercially and politically motivated, not discrimantely motivated.  

Thank you Charles Darwin..thumbsup.gif

Some Russians look white but still far from Europeans.

The wife intensely dislikes Chinese (dirty, loud, lack of manners).

After the Japanese, UK, Europeans and to lesser extent Americans, Australians left or were shoved out, Thailand starting grasping, opening tourism to Russia, Iran, India, China, Balkans...

Thailand has or is learning a lesson. Tourism is finite. The "good" white folks cannot afford, are bored/finished or freaked out by the coup, harsh regulations...there are just other places to go for a beach. The rabble, Thailand has decided it dies not want or need.

Thailand might even see its citizens choose other vocations rather than continue to serve with Indians, Chinese and Russians.

But...fickle Thailnd has pushed the Russians out already.

Really, as a large group with a reasonable economy in 2014, their only hope is China. The people will also gave zero issues with current politics, a plus.

Thai tourism will die on the vine unless the Chinese save them. They are creating hassles for backpackers and EU citizens that for years enjoyed their winters here.

You will have loads of Chinese come and stay illegally, guaranteed.

If you go to Chinatown you will see many, many Indisns employed by local Sikh and Chinese.

Up to them but this is imo a horrible model or plsn fir a nation that hopes or needs to derive 7-10% of gdp from tourism. Its gonna get a lot tougher for Thais and they will indeed dream wistfully of the dsys of the fst old man and hslf topless lady from Holland, smiling and joking with them. Not making a fuss over a few baht and saying thank you in Thai.

Game over

The wife intensely dislikes Chinese (dirty, loud, lack of manners).

After the Japanese, UK, Europeans and to lesser extent Americans, Australians left or were shoved out, Thailand starting grasping, opening tourism to Russia, Iran, India, China, Balkans...

Thailand has or is learning a lesson. Tourism is finite. The "good" white folks cannot afford, are bored/finished or freaked out by the coup, harsh regulations...there are just other places to go for a beach. The rabble, Thailand has decided it dies not want or need.

Thailand might even see its citizens choose other vocations rather than continue to serve with Indians, Chinese and Russians.

But...fickle Thailnd has pushed the Russians out already.

Really, as a large group with a reasonable economy in 2014, their only hope is China. The people will also gave zero issues with current politics, a plus.

Thai tourism will die on the vine unless the Chinese save them. They are creating hassles for backpackers and EU citizens that for years enjoyed their winters here.

You will have loads of Chinese come and stay illegally, guaranteed.

If you go to Chinatown you will see many, many Indisns employed by local Sikh and Chinese.

Up to them but this is imo a horrible model or plsn fir a nation that hopes or needs to derive 7-10% of gdp from tourism. Its gonna get a lot tougher for Thais and they will indeed dream wistfully of the dsys of the fst old man and hslf topless lady from Holland, smiling and joking with them. Not making a fuss over a few baht and saying thank you in Thai.

Game over

racial generalizing is hilarious

Thakkar, on 02 Aug 2014 - 21:09, said:

If some of these anti-Chinese TVF posters were put in charge of immigration, they'd ban all Chinese, Arabs, Indians, Nigerians, Ghanians, Kenyans, South Africans (except the white ones), Pakistanis, Israelis, Brits with names like "Ali", Bangladeshis...pretty soon, Thailand would have a thriving, Whites-only tourist industry--all high-spending, non-sexpaty, neat and tidy, well-behaved, temple-visiting quality tourists.

My guess is, they just want all the girlie bars, massage joints, soapies and cheap, hole-in-the-wall restaurants all to themselves. That's not racism, that's just selfishness.

T

That's a lot of assumptions with absolutely NO evidence to back it up

Soutpeel, on 02 Aug 2014 - 21:14, said:

If some of these anti-Chinese TVF posters were put in charge of immigration, they'd ban all Chinese, Arabs, Indians, Nigerians, Ghanians, Kenyans, South Africans (except the white ones), Pakistanis, Israelis, Brits with names like "Ali", Bangladeshis...pretty soon, Thailand would have a thriving, Whites-only tourist industry--all high-spending, non-sexpaty, neat and tidy, well-behaved, temple-visiting quality tourists.

My guess is, they just want all the girlie bars, massage joints, soapies and cheap, hole-in-the-wall restaurants all to themselves. That's not racism, that's just selfishness.

T

You missed a nationality, if the TV bigots had their way, they would ban all Thai's, except the young ladies, manning the girlie bars massage joints and soapies

Any evidence, to back up your ridiculous comment...

Soutpeel, on 02 Aug 2014 - 21:14, said:

T

You missed a nationality, if the TV bigots had their way, they would ban all Thai's, except the young ladies, manning the girlie bars massage joints and soapies

Any evidence, to back up your ridiculous comment...

try thaivisa forums

• Like 1

Wat dee, on 03 Aug 2014 - 06:31, said:

Soutpeel, on 02 Aug 2014 - 20:31, said:

rickirs, on 02 Aug 2014 - 20:27, said:

The uneducated commonly believe that all "chinese" people are "yellow-skinned", thereby different than Caucasions who are white-skinned. And by this perceived color difference, people establish a "them" versus "us" in terms of establishing cultural superiority and advantage. Yet, the Uyghurs, Kazaks, Khalkhas, Tajiks, Uzbeks and Chinese Russians in Xinjiang have white skin.  Even the predominant Han Chinese are not today a pure bloodline due to breeding with nomadic tribes throughout history, foreign immigrants, and inter-marriages. Thailand's move to waive visa fees for chinese is commercially and politically motivated, not discrimantely motivated.  

Thank you Charles Darwin..thumbsup.gif

Some Russians look white but still far from Europeans.

People need to read the definition of "Caucasian" you will be surprised...it's not only white skin.

I am sad to read several negative comments here, some of them covertly racist, regrettably.  I am inclined to side with the calm heads and voices and suggest that there is nothing to fear (apart from fear itself !).

Today's New Thailand will get on very well with New China at every level, and tourism in both directions is to be encouraged, surely.  The relaxed visa regulations will be taken as a positive signal and coming on top of good news reaching China about Thailand's no-nonsense government, should produce results.  The educated and moneyed Chinese that now number hundreds of millions represent a very good potential market for Thailand.  By-and-large, they are polite, gregarious and have money to spend - though they will drive a hard bargain, especially Shanghainese!

Savvy businesses will start preparing for the likes and needs of Chinese.  Sell your shares in streetside bars, though - Chinese men prefer to have their entertainment behind closed doors!  More small family groups and couples can be expected rather than the bus loads of the past; though not many Chinese are experienced enough to go-it alone completely, and tailor-made holidays with personalised guides will be popular.

To those Occidentals who remain I suggest learning a few words in Chinese, and although it is a little old-fashioned, the Chinese equivalent of the wai will be taken as a mark of politeness and respect - make a fist of your right hand, cover it with the palm of your left and bow slightly from the waist.  This will go a long way to break the ice with your new neighbours in the restaurant, by the pool or in your condo (the Chinese love property and will start buying soon, especially as the market at home has recently cooled).

Keep calm, ... and learn to use chopsticks!  Zai zian.

p.s. you are no longer a 'farang' - you are now a 'laowai' 

Edited by graham66

T

That's a lot of assumptions with absolutely NO evidence to back it up

For the first para, the evidence is right here all over TVF--look around.

In my second para, admittedly there is an assumption, but it's a charitable one--unless you deem racism to be less damning than selfishness.

T

Yay, more diesel belching buses roaming around Pattaya going down narrow streets they just barely fit in. Hordes of wided eyed asians following the guy with the flag taking pictures of walking street.  

Yay, more diesel belching buses roaming around Pattaya going down narrow streets they just barely fit in. Hordes of wided eyed asians following the guy with the flag taking pictures of walking street.  

My perception is that Pattaya is more "red" due to all the issan folks working in town.  I don't think the current government is too worried about Pattaya, unlike the TV faithful.  Pattaya will likely suffer disproportionately from the new policies (especially the condo market- first getting rid of the Russians, then the lowai or whatever it is we are), but I don't think the generals really care.  This is clearly not a neutral government, the extent to which the reds just got screwed is pretty blatant.  

Just  wait a few months and there will be numerous complaints....Chinese skimming atm machines, Very noisy Chinese in hotels,, Chises shoving and pushing at venues etc. But personally I much prefer the Chinese to the Russians in general. It is their country and the Thai can give free visas to whoever they please to try to increase the numbers of tourists.

AFTER COUP
Tourists from China and Taiwan to enjoy exemption of visa fees next week

BANGKOK: -- Thailand hopes to introduce exemption of visa fees for tourists from China and Taiwan next week, acting Foreign Minister Sihasak Puangketkeow said recently.

Interior Ministry is expected consider the issue on Monday and the order would be issued and enforced immediately.

Sihasak however said the three-month privilege still requires the tourists to apply for entry visa.

In an effort to boost tourism, Sihasak said he and tourism related agencies had sought and received approval from the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to waive visa fees for tourists from China and Taiwan for three months, starting from August.

Currently, more than six million Chinese tourists visit Thailand annually, said Sihasak. The decision to waive the visa fee for tourists from China and Taiwan is also part of the planned 40th anniversary celebrations of diplomatic relations between China and Thailand.

A meeting will be held by the Interior Ministry next Monday and an order will be issued and enforced immediately, said Sihasak, adding that the Immigration Bureau will then be informed on the temporary waiving of visa fees for citizens of both countries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Tourists-from-China-and-Taiwan-to-enjoy-exemption--30240120.html

[thenation]2014-08-03[/thenation]

The notion that all these Chinese are tourists, is truly naive. Many are here doing business without work permits. But I guess going after low paid farang teachers is more important. Just wait, in the next 10 years they'll have a foothold here and the government will be scratching their heads wondering how they've been taken over.
  • Like 1

The notion that all these Chinese are tourists, is truly naive. Many are here doing business without work permits. But I guess going after low paid farang teachers is more important. Just wait, in the next 10 years they'll have a foothold here and the government will be scratching their heads wondering how they've been taken over.

the legal chinese in charge are not about to sit back and allow illegal chinese to take over anything

T

Although you have only just presented an opinion, let's face it, most people are most comfortable hanging around people who are similar to them in terms of language, culture and even appearance. This is not unique to westerners, who in fact are MORE exposed to people of other cultures due to their countries mostly being multicultural these days. Attempting to apply US style political correctness to a non-multicultural country like Thailand, in the hope that it might earn you some "brownie points" (with whom I wonder?) is not going to get you anywhere. Just look at the many examples of such discrimination in Thailand - case in point: Japanese bars at Patpong. Do they allow anyone non-Japanese inside, particularly a lone westerner, Chinese, even a Thai, anyone who isn't Japanese and/or who isn't in the company of other Japanese? NO! Why not? Well because they don't like non-Japanese! Their excuses? They think non-Japanese smell and they feel uncomfortable around them! Racist? You bet, but basically they just want to hang out with people who are from the same country as them, who understand their language and culture. What I don't get however is how can Thailand allow this? It's one thing if Japanese have their own rules in Japan, but surely they shouldn't be able to get away with it in Thailand? I could be way off here, but I doubt any Japanese bars in the States would be allowed to discriminate like this.

Then there's many types of businesses in China who don't allow Japanese inside, particularly during the sensitive anniversary of the Japanese occupation of Nanjing (also known as Nanking in historical western texts but the actual pronunciation is Nanjing). During the Beijing Olympics signs were put up on bars stating: "no blacks or Mongolians allowed inside."

And finally, I know Thai people who've gone to live in New York city, one of the most multicultural cities on Earth. They have essentially NO non-Thai friends even after 5 years of US residency - not even other Asians, but no non-Thai friends (or at least no close ones). I don't understand how people can go to live abroad and not have even local friends, only making friends from the same cultural groups they came from. Chinese people I've known in Australia (mainly overseas students) typically only associate with other Chinese and at the end of their stays they haven't made one significant local Aussie or other non-Chinese friend.

Therefore, for anyone thinking it's going to be easy trying to befriend any of these new Chinese tourists in Thailand I'll give you a head-start. Most likely they'll only want to hang around each other and don't want to get to know you. There will always be exceptions, but unless one is traveling alone, most people of most nationalities will just want to hang out with one another and experience the local culture, without necessarily being interested in people from third countries/cultures. I guess that's what they came to Thailand for - to experience Thailand and Thai culture.

T

Although you have only just presented an opinion, let's face it, most people are most comfortable hanging around people who are similar to them in terms of language, culture and even appearance. This is not unique to westerners, who in fact are MORE exposed to people of other cultures due to their countries mostly being multicultural these days. Attempting to apply US style political correctness to a non-multicultural country like Thailand, in the hope that it might earn you some "brownie points" (with whom I wonder?) is not going to get you anywhere. Just look at the many examples of such discrimination in Thailand - case in point: Japanese bars at Patpong. Do they allow anyone non-Japanese inside, particularly a lone westerner, Chinese, even a Thai, anyone who isn't Japanese and/or who isn't in the company of other Japanese? NO! Why not? Well because they don't like non-Japanese! Their excuses? They think non-Japanese smell and they feel uncomfortable around them! Racist? You bet, but basically they just want to hang out with people who are from the same country as them, who understand their language and culture. What I don't get however is how can Thailand allow this? It's one thing if Japanese have their own rules in Japan, but surely they shouldn't be able to get away with it in Thailand? I could be way off here, but I doubt any Japanese bars in the States would be allowed to discriminate like this.

Then there's many types of businesses in China who don't allow Japanese inside, particularly during the sensitive anniversary of the Japanese occupation of Nanjing (also known as Nanking in historical western texts but the actual pronunciation is Nanjing). During the Beijing Olympics signs were put up on bars stating: "no blacks or Mongolians allowed inside."

And finally, I know Thai people who've gone to live in New York city, one of the most multicultural cities on Earth. They have essentially NO non-Thai friends even after 5 years of US residency - not even other Asians, but no non-Thai friends (or at least no close ones). I don't understand how people can go to live abroad and not have even local friends, only making friends from the same cultural groups they came from. Chinese people I've known in Australia (mainly overseas students) typically only associate with other Chinese and at the end of their stays they haven't made one significant local Aussie or other non-Chinese friend.

Therefore, for anyone thinking it's going to be easy trying to befriend any of these new Chinese tourists in Thailand I'll give you a head-start. Most likely they'll only want to hang around each other and don't want to get to know you. There will always be exceptions, but unless one is traveling alone, most people of most nationalities will just want to hang out with one another and experience the local culture, without necessarily being interested in people from third countries/cultures. I guess that's what they came to Thailand for - to experience Thailand and Thai culture.

and I know lots of thais in north america and they all have close friends from other cultures.

Again Discrimination from other expats/ tourists.

Nearly everyone discriminates, the Chinese do it just as much if not more than others. I'm quite sure that if there were no other non-Chinese around (apart from Thais) in any given setting in Thailand, the Chinese tourists would be quite happy too. It's just easier that way because there would be fewer opportunities for cultural/linguistic misunderstandings and potential conflicts.

Most Chinese have had very little exposure to other cultures. So, I can imagine for them, the sight of so many westerners/Indians/South Asians/Africans etc. as soon as they arrive in Bangkok (or Singapore/Kuala Lumpur etc.) from I dunno Chongqing or Changsha will be quite an unexpected sight, one that they've probably only seen on TV before. Sure, there are plenty of visitors and expat residents in China these days too, but apart from a few cities like Shanghai, Guangzhou and Beijing, it's rare to see any large concentration of foreigners in any one place, which is rather common in many parts of Thailand.

• Like 1

Many Thai girls can now hope to hook up with Chinese mainland "casanovas" and possibly moving in with the in-laws at such cosmopolitan, happening places like Wuhan. Paris? London? New York? Wuhan? same same. 

Yes, Wuhan is very cosmopolitan. The kind of place where every non-Chinese is intensely stared at (out of curiosity of course), every single day they are out on the streets, because the average Chinese has never seen a white/black/Indian etc. foreigner in person before. Cosmopolitan. Lol.

Geez I hate correcting the information these news stories have presented as facts sometimes, it just gets tiring. Since when are there 6 million Chinese visitors to Thailand per year? There never have been! Last year the figure was apparently 4.7 million and this year it will most likely be less as evidenced by the slowdown in Chinese arrivals up until this point (and we're already well into the second half of the year).

Ttrweekly.com is as good a source as any and it shows a definite slowdown in visitor arrivals from China, just like from many other countries.

Chinese travellers are not stupid. If they know somewhere is dangerous, if they've heard of potential problems (like political upheavals, scams etc.) word spreads and they won't come. While there are still many million more Chinese that will come to Thailand over the next few years, I don't think that the mere lifting of a visa fee will suddenly cause the Chinese to come rushing in. The current situation in Thailand is more stable than it was just a few months ago, but seriously, the uncertainty of a military government will surely cause even the most hardened Chinese, used to their own communist government's hardline policies to be a bit jittery about travelling to Thailand, especially as first-time travellers.

By year's end perhaps 3.5-4 million Chinese will have visited Thailand this year, but not much more. 6 million is possible in a few years but extremely optimistic for this year.

T

and I know lots of thais in north america and they all have close friends from other cultures.

So do I, but don't pretend that what I stated is not true. It's human nature to gravitate towards people of similar background to yourself. Even in multicultural societies, the majority of people from one cultural group will mostly associate with people of the same or similar cultural backgrounds. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying it's the reality, whoever you may be or wherever you may live.

T

So do I, but don't pretend that what I stated is not true. It's human nature to gravitate towards people of similar background to yourself. Even in multicultural societies, the majority of people from one cultural group will mostly associate with people of the same or similar cultural backgrounds. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying it's the reality, whoever you may be or wherever you may live.

nonsense. I live in a very ethnically diverse city and have good friends from many ethnic backgrounds and like I said, my experience with thais contradicts your claim.

Most Chinese have had very little exposure to other cultures. So, I can imagine for them, the sight of so many westerners/Indians/South Asians/Africans etc. as soon as they arrive in Bangkok

Neither do a lot of western "expats" when they arrive on the bannana boat in Thailand, if you read some of the posts and questions that come up on TV

"why does my 110V appliance explode when I plug into a Thailand power socket", why dont they have power same same as the US.

"Where can I buy a comb ?

One suspects there are large numbers of westerners living in Thailand who had never left their own countries prior to shacking up with a Thai lady and throwing their lot in, in Thailand

Well people we have all done are part supporting Thailand over the years made it an advanced country it seems we are no longer wanted here with all the new laws anyway it was all good while it lasted now its over to the Chinese and Russian, to keep the economy going wish them luck and as the old saying goes don't bite the hand that feeds you ...

Sent from my S2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most Chinese have had very little exposure to other cultures. So, I can imagine for them, the sight of so many westerners/Indians/South Asians/Africans etc. as soon as they arrive in Bangkok

Neither do a lot of western "expats" when they arrive on the bannana boat in Thailand, if you read some of the posts and questions that come up on TV

"why does my 110V appliance explode when I plug into a Thailand power socket", why dont they have power same same as the US.

"Where can I buy a comb ?

cheesy.gif clap2.gif