Savannaket - 1st time travel

After trawling through other TVs members experiences, I just would like some clarity / advice on forthcoming trip to Savannaket to obtain 'O' visa (based on child). Have just booked flights with Air Asia for myself and GF (Tues - arrive 16.20 in Nakhon Phanom).

Having read that the embassy are processing 'O' visas same day I am hoping that this is still the case as have booked return flights on the Thursday.

1. Anyway, my question to those that know is on arrival on Tuesday should I pre-book hotel in Savannaket (i.e. will I definately make it across in time) or should I play it safe and book hotel in Mukdahan, then cross in morning?

2. Secondly, I will obviously have second night to spend after (hopefully) picking up visa - where would you recommend to spend the second night?

3. Lastly, due to nature of my job (rotational) I will need to get a multiple entry permit on the 'O' visa (I am in process of getting Child Legitimized through court as I am not married) hence I guess will only get a 90 day visa hopefully. Can I get this multiple entry permit as well at embassy or do I have to get it at local immigration (BKK)?

Many Thanks in advance

You can get the single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

I would spend the night in Savannakhet to the avoid having to rush in the morning. As long as you make to by 6 pm you will be able to cross. There have been reports of the Lao visa on arrival desk closing then.

You will need to apply for a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry you will get from your visa at an immigration office. It will cost you 1000 baht

Last time I went my schedule was like this:

DAY 1

Arrive airport and congregate in small group (4pax) for van.

Dept airport after 20min.

Arrive Mukdahan after approx 1hr:30.

Stay in Rabien Muk Hotel (on corner as you get into town) or the hotel in corner of bus station. If on van then perhaps easiest thing to do is simply stay near bus station. I prefer Rabien Muk Hotel as Mukdahan is a nice little town with good market.

DAY 2

Get issan motor-taxi to bus station if staying at Rabien Muk Hotel (100B) or simply get Friendship bus (B50) if staying at corner of bus station.

Travel in bus to Savannaket.

Go straight to Thai embassy and apply for Visa.

Find hotel on river front for the night. Closest one is Nong Soda. Turn right out off Thai embassy and then right again walking for 1min. (convenient but rough and ready i.e mozzies). Lina GuestHouse is further out but much, much, nicer. All locals should know how to get to Lina's. http://spotonlaos.com/place/leena-guesthouse-savannakhet-laos/

DAY 3

Collect Visa and immediately depart to bus station hustled into transport via locals.

Get ticket (B50) for bus back across friendship bridge #2.

Walk from friendship bridge #2 to gas station and wait for van back to airport.

Get flight to BKK.

PS Rabien Muk Hotel is the best value hotel I ever stayed in. Sorry name is spelt wrongly but locals will know it ..."rabian muk"

Edited by RandomSand

although hotel in corner of bus station is very convenient here is a link for a nice hotel in town... http://www.rabiangmuk.com/

I think time is against you for travelling via van and then also getting a bus across the bridge. It's 1hrs 30 min *at least* from touch down to arriving at the bus station and certainly no less. I've took that van a few times and they always drove safely and didn't rush.

The van will stop at the gas station which is near the bridge and *might* go as far as the bus station. One time I only got as far as the gas station, another time they dropped me near the bus station and I got transport down into town. I think they have a nice little contract going and can be somewhat flexible in helping you out.

Edited by RandomSand

Thanks for reply guys. I'll try and get over the bridge the same day though it looks like it will be very tight i..e just after 6pm

One (another) question....do you know if using the AirAsia bus/van service - is this booked through the website or can you just jump on when you arrive? I can't find anything on the website about the fly/ride service to Muk from the airport....

Thanks again

Flight + Van booked on one ticket is NokAir. You choose bangkok - Mukdahan as your flight and travel via Nakhon Phanom. I don't know if he'll (van driver) will accept carriage on the side for AirAsia customers.

The Nok option, arrive day before visa application, is far easier for the lone Falang.

There's also a bus. MoChit - Mukdahan VIP Direct which I did one time overnight (in reverse) but the ticket was about B1000 at Mukdahan bus station which I thought was outrageous.

For the sake of the thread it's worth pointing out that the Mo Chit bus is very convenient. it arrives at Mukdahan station, obviously, and there's a decent (B500.00-ish) large hotel in the bottom corner of the bus yard nearest to the main road. The Friendship Bridge #2 bus also departs from this bus station (B50.00) every hour so it's far easier than fights and vans.

I think there's another border approx 50 KM North which is closer to the airport(s) but there's very little info about it online and you'd need your own transport realistically.

I think I caught the AA flight once once and managed to get to the local bus station by sheer luck. i.e a shrewd local hustled me into a shared taxi at an exorbitant rate. You know how it sometimes goes! From there I got into a cramped & rusty van onto Mukdahan.

If you're with a local then I presume everything will be far easier and perhaps you'll find direct vans from the airport to the bridge. Not knowing for sure I'd planned to go via the local bus station first and that's what happened. Took about three hours total vs <two hours NokAir combo ticket.

Edited by RandomSand

Thanks for reply guys. I'll try and get over the bridge the same day though it looks like it will be very tight i..e just after 6pm

One (another) question....do you know if using the AirAsia bus/van service - is this booked through the website or can you just jump on when you arrive? I can't find anything on the website about the fly/ride service to Muk from the airport....

Thanks again

If you buy your ticket to Mukdahan the trip to there from Nakhon Phanom is included. Your e-ticket you get by email should show the schedule..

if he gets a single entry visa which is the only thing he can get for a child how can he get re-entry permit ? Did i miss something ? re-enty on single entry visa ???

You can get a re-entry permit for any permit to stay, It will keep the 90 day entry valid when he leaves and returns.

• Like 1

Flight + Van booked on one ticket is NokAir. You choose bangkok - Mukdahan as your flight and travel via Nakhon Phanom. I don't know if he'll (van driver) will accept carriage on the side for AirAsia customers.

The Nok option, arrive day before visa application, is far easier for the lone Falang.

There's also a bus. MoChit - Mukdahan VIP Direct which I did one time overnight (in reverse) but the ticket was about B1000 at Mukdahan bus station which I thought was outrageous.

For the sake of the thread it's worth pointing out that the Mo Chit bus is very convenient. it arrives at Mukdahan station, obviously, and there's a decent (B500.00-ish) large hotel in the bottom corner of the bus yard nearest to the main road. The Friendship Bridge #2 bus also departs from this bus station (B50.00) every hour so it's far easier than fights and vans.

I think there's another border approx 50 KM North which is closer to the airport(s) but there's very little info about it online and you'd need your own transport realistically.

I think I caught the AA flight once once and managed to get to the local bus station by sheer luck. i.e a shrewd local hustled me into a shared taxi at an exorbitant rate. You know how it sometimes goes! From there I got into a cramped & rusty van onto Mukdahan.

If you're with a local then I presume everything will be far easier and perhaps you'll find direct vans from the airport to the bridge. Not knowing for sure I'd planned to go via the local bus station first and that's what happened. Took about three hours total vs <two hours NokAir combo ticket.

Air Asia started a fly/drive in May. I used it. You book/pay through to MUK. The van stops at the bridge if you ask, so no need to go into MUK and out again. As for timing, I made it to Savannakhet that day, arriving about 1930. But the consulate issues visa the day after you apply, not same day (at least in my experience).

One poster said Leena guest house was much further out (of town). It's relative - Leena is only a 10-15 minute walk from the consulate.

Edited by Disparate Dan

Looks like I have messed up a little as I have just booked a ticket to Nakhon Phanom....I'll have to contact AirAsia and see how I can pay extra for the van...thanks guys for reply

Edit: Just phoned AirAsia...cannot change ticket to include fly/ride service or cannot even pay extra for service. Basically if I want this I have to rebook new tickets and lose the money on the old ones. Also, cannot even pay at airport for this service with AA. Looks like it will have to be a separate taxi. Will know for future reference!

Edited by richy2201
  • Like 1

Anyone ever drove there? I'm wandering if there is a car park on the Thai side.

left handside just before the bridge large parking area, word of warning , make sure your spare wheel is chained on,

mine gone on return next day.

• Like 1

Looks like I have messed up a little as I have just booked a ticket to Nakhon Phanom....I'll have to contact AirAsia and see how I can pay extra for the van...thanks guys for reply

Edit: Just phoned AirAsia...cannot change ticket to include fly/ride service or cannot even pay extra for service. Basically if I want this I have to rebook new tickets and lose the money on the old ones. Also, cannot even pay at airport for this service with AA. Looks like it will have to be a separate taxi. Will know for future reference!

There is minibus to the busstation and from there you can take another minibus to Mukdahan, no problem.

The Ploy hotel in Mukdahan used to offer a mini van service from Nakhon Phanom. Not sure if they still do due to the fly/ride service now offered by the airlines. Best to give them a ring and ask. The number I have is 042630562.

The Ploy hotel in Mukdahan used to offer a mini van service from Nakhon Phanom. Not sure if they still do due to the fly/ride service now offered by the airlines. Best to give them a ring and ask. The number I have is 042630562.

Wow. Well done guys. Finally amidst this crackdown Sh*tstorm a thread with clear and useful tips, with out any trash talk from the "Get Legal" mob.

My tip. If you stay in MUK overnight and are driving or riding north to the bridge the next morning, do not take the main highway as there is nearly always a police checkpoint set up trying to extract money. There is a small road that winds up north alongside the river (much less traffic and more scenic also) it goes under the bridge itself and then you can turn left and back out to the main road just a few meters north of the road back in to the bridge. No cops, no traffic and a better morning drive. If you are clearing an overstay, or applying for your 47th back to back double entry tourist visa, there is also a shrine to Phiyanak under the bridge plyons. You can stop on your way and make a quick offering to ensure your visa run success is a shoe in...

if he gets a single entry visa which is the only thing he can get for a child how can he get re-entry permit ? Did i miss something ? re-enty on single entry visa ???

The Visa gets him into Thailand. It is used/cancelled when he enters. His stay in Thailand is then determined by Immigrations who stamp his passport with his permission to stay until xxx. He could then get the re-entry permit which would be valid for the length of his permission to stay (or, in the case of a single re-entry, until he uses it, whichever comes first).

The visa becomes largely irrelevant as soon as he enters the country. The permission to stay is what is important.

If you arrive and apply for your visa at the Thai consulate before they close in the morning (between 09:00-12:00, but I'm not sure about when they close and I was there last week....) you can then pick up your passport at 15:30 the same day.

For my own trip I used the overnight bus from Bangkok (about 850 Baht). Then bus to and to cross the bridge (50 Baht but the sign still said 45). When I had passed true the Lao immigration ( remember to pay your visa in New dollar bills, for me it's $35 or B1500(I don't want to look cheap but with a exchange rate of B50/$1 I rather pay in$)) and payed another B40 after immigration for some reason!? Then I shared a Van to the consulate (B100 a head). Then I used the "service" outside the consulate to copy the passport and fill in the form (60 Baht). Rushed to stand in line to apply for the visa, payed and then I was of to eat and drink at a close by restaurant/bar. At 15:00 I went back to the consulate and waited to get the visa at 15:30 (first come first served). After I got my visa I shared a Tuk-Tuk back to the bridge (again B100 a head). Stamped out of Laos at the immigration (remember to buy a bus ticket, it's to the left when you passed immigration... I did not and had to run back to get it) crossed the bridge and back to Thailand, true immigration and continued to Mukdahan bus station. And finally over night bus back... I regret it afterwards as it became way to many hours on bus for my back so it would have been better with a night or two in hotel!

So it's possible to make a round trip over less than 36 hours including the waiting time to get your visa.

Edited by Kasset Tak

Thanks again for all tips! As one poster said, this has a been a very informative yet civil thread (so far!) with no flaming etc :-)

The bus journey from BKK had crossed my mind but AirAsia flights were reasonably priced at 2,500 baht return (per person) and also gives my missus a break for a few days....

Will also ensure to bring dollars (new) and might give Ploy Hotel a phone.

Thank you all again. Very helpful.

The best place to stay in Mukdahan for foreigners is Mukdahan Manor B&B, Check it out on Tripadvisor for a reference. You may be pushing it to go straight to Laos from the plane, getting down to Mukdahan and over the border will take probably 3 hours. I would stay the first night in Mukdahan and take the first bus from the bus station around 8am the next morning, get to the Thai Consulate around 10am. Be prepared to stay overnight in Savannakhet as the normal procedure is that you cannot pick up your passport until the day after you apply for your visa and at around 2pm in the afternoon. Depending on your flight deparanother night in Lao or Mukdahan. Good Luck.

The best place to stay in Mukdahan for foreigners is Mukdahan Manor B&B, Check it out on Tripadvisor for a reference. You may be pushing it to go straight to Laos from the plane, getting down to Mukdahan and over the border will take probably 3 hours. I would stay the first night in Mukdahan and take the first bus from the bus station around 8am the next morning, get to the Thai Consulate around 10am. Be prepared to stay overnight in Savannakhet as the normal procedure is that you cannot pick up your passport until the day after you apply for your visa and at around 2pm in the afternoon. Depending on your flight deparanother night in Lao or Mukdahan. Good Luck.

They have been doing visas on the same day you apply now for about a month.

The Visa gets him into Thailand. It is used/cancelled when he enters. His stay in Thailand is then determined by Immigrations who stamp his passport with his permission to stay until xxx. He could then get the re-entry permit which would be valid for the length of his permission to stay (or, in the case of a single re-entry, until he uses it, whichever comes first).

The visa becomes largely irrelevant as soon as he enters the country. The permission to stay is what is important.

Tourist visa can also get re-entry permit ?

They offer it for 350 baht but better book in case it' fool.

It's Ploy TRAVEL that proposes the service, no need to stay at hotel.

I just returned from Savannakhet this morning so apologies if this has already been answered:

• Consulate opens at 9am and there were about 20-30 people waiting
  • Pickup your VISA on the SAME DAY at 3:30pm
  • We caught the last bus at 7:30pm from the Laos border (distracted by riverside drinks)
  • I met 3 guys who applied for multiple-entry Non-O VISAs and they had no problem applying for them and at the border

Both the consulate and border are quiet and I even snuck in with a tourist VISA (3rd double). I was almost last in a line of about 40 people and it seems nobody was questioned.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for sharing those infos, I assume the same day service works fine for ED visa also?

If so I could make it in ~36 hours that would be awesome!

DAY1

Flight BKK-MUKHADAN 15.10-18.30 (AirAsia fly and ride)

Sleep one night there

DAY2

Get the first bus to Savannaket 7.30-8.30

Apply for the visa 9.00

Visit, have lunch, relax

Get the visa 15.30

Bus back to Mukhadan 4.30 or 5.30

Overnight bus to Bangkok leaves 19.20 or 20.00 or 20.15

DAY3

Arrive in Bangkok 6.30

This is why I detest using Air Asia, they are extremely inflexible.

Just come back from Savannaket a few days ago.

Buses go from the bus station In Mukdahan to Savanaket bus station on the half hour for both the outbound and return starting at 7-30 am form Mukdahan, with the faffing about at the border it will take about an hour, don't forget dollars for visa on arrival, 35 dollars is cheaper than the 1500 baht they will ask for if you don't have dollars.

Their is secure parking at the bridge in Mukdahan it may be connected with the savan casino who have an office their in the same compound but sure its generally available for a small fee.

Tuk tuks available from the bus station in Savanaket to the consulate about 2kms generally 40 to 50 baht per person both ways obviously they will try for more, takes less than 10 minutes.

Same day service was offered and obtained but a later pick up time of 3-30pm not negotiable, I tried! but it was the busiest Ive ever seen the consulate, mainly with Laotians, however pick up actually only took about ten minutes and on quiet day they may let you pick up earlier.

Compared to VIentienne its a doddle and with the same day service you cant really ask for much more and I hope its popularity doesn't ruin it, but they are moving to a new swanky office complex which may change things.