Don't be a surrogate for money, Thai mother warns

webfact

SURROGATION
Don't be a surrogate for money, mother warns

Agencies

30240164-01_big.JPG

Thai left with unwell baby tells others to avoid her mistake, donations flood in

BANGKOK: -- A SURROGATE mother yesterday warned her fellow Thais not to get involved in commercial surrogacy for foreign customers - as she now faces financial, legal and ethical difficulties after poor Gammy, her six-month-old baby boy, was rejected by his Australian biological parents and could die.

"I would like to tell Thai women, don't get into this business as a surrogate. Don't just think only about the money," Pattaramon Chanbua was quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald as saying.

"If something goes wrong, no one will help us and the baby will be abandoned from society, then we have to take responsibility for that," the Thai mother said.

Thai law allows only cases in which a married couple cannot conceive a child and engages a blood relative to carry their child in an altruistic arrangement.

Physicians have discussed for years whether commercial surrogacy should be allowed and legalised.

There have been reports that dozens of children born through Thai surrogates for foreign couples have remained in Thailand since late last year due to problems with travel documents and legal matters.

Pattaramon, a somtam vendor from Chon Buri, and her family were fighting to pay off debts last year when she was offered Bt300,000 to be a surrogate mother.

The case caused shock and outrage when the Australian couple abandoned the baby boy after he |was found to have Down's syndrome and a life-threatening heart condition.

Pattaramon said three months after a doctor injected the Australian woman's fertilised egg into her uterus, she discovered she was carrying twins. The agent promised her an extra Bt50,000 for the second baby.

Four months into the pregnancy, doctors doing routine checks discovered one of the babies had Down's syndrome. They told the Australian parents, who said they did not want to take the boy.

"They told me to have an abortion but I didn't agree because I am afraid of sinning," Pattaramon said, referring to her Buddhist beliefs.

When the babies were born the agent took the healthy girl and left the boy with her.

Australian Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said yesterday that a question of "moral responsibility" should determine the fate of Gammy.

However, donations raised online by an Australian charity to pay for the infant's medical care rose above US$190,000 (Bt6.1 million) after a flood of international goodwill over the infant's plight.

"I think this is an absolutely heart-breaking story, it really is," Morrison told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I think perhaps this may fall more into the territory of what people's moral responsibilities are here.

"I note there was a comment earlier that the mother of this child, baby Gammy, wants the child to remain in Thailand and that mother's wishes also have to be absolutely respected."

Pattaramon's mother, Pichaya Nathonchai, 53, said Gammy had been in a private hospital in Chon Buri since Thursday and his condition was "improving".

"He is a quiet, calm boy...his mother and I are taking turns to see him at the hospital," she said.

Her family was relieved donations were coming in.

"Although we have benefited from the Bt30 health scheme, it does

not cover everything he needs," she said, referring to Thailand's healthcare scheme.

Peter Baines, the founder of Hands Across The Water, the charity managing the donations, said Gammy was in the hospital, as he was "still very ill and suffering from a lung infection at the moment".

Pattaramon said late on Saturday she wanted to take care of the boy in Thailand.

"I'll take care of Gammy on my own. I'll not give my baby to anybody.

"I wish they will love my baby...I forgive them for everything. That is the best thing I can do, forgive...it is best for everybody," she said of the Australian couple.

"I want to see all my children back together again. I don't really think too much about the Australian couple. I can't blame them... I don't feel upset or angry about them anymore. They might have their own problems too."

Morrison said the surrogate case had some "serious issues" that needed to be managed very carefully.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Dont-be-a-surrogate-for-money-mother-warns-30240164.html

[thenation]2014-08-04[/thenation]

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian couple accused of abandoning baby Gammy deny claims

The Australian couple accused of abandoning baby Gammy have said they are shocked by the claims.

9NEWS has spoken with the couple, who said that while they have a baby daughter of a similar age to Gammy, they are adamant she does not have a twin brother.

They admitted using a Thai surrogate, describing the experience as ‘traumatising’.

Read more at http://www.9news.com...9FOXtlDDQs7W.99

The surrogate has now received nearly 6 million baht (200K AUD) and rising. 

The Australian couple have been identified, the father Caucasian and the mother Thai in their 50's.  They deny there was a twin but the surrogate says there was and she is receiving more money than she could ever earn.

The only way to see who is lying is to do DNA tests on the two kids.  If the surrogate is lying then she should be charged.

She has not received money directly it’s being managed by a Western care / charity organisation, Oz Embassy is also in direct communication with the birth mother. In todays’ Australian the Oz Embassy in BKK is quoted as saying this current matter is not a standalone instance & they have been approached a number of times by Oz couples seeking to keep only one child, if twins, not accepting a boy as they wanted a girl, wanting to cancel contracts after pregnancy etc etc

With the above occurring on a number of occasions, sad but true, these surrogacy arrangements in Thailand should be banned by all States & Territories until Federally legally enforceable responsibility can be put in place.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

The Australian couple have been identified, the father Caucasian and the mother Thai in their 50's.  They deny there was a twin but the surrogate says there was and she is receiving more money than she could ever earn.

The only way to see who is lying is to do DNA tests on the two kids.  If the surrogate is lying then she should be charged.

She has not received money directly it’s being managed by a Western care / charity organisation, Oz Embassy is also in direct communication with the birth mother. In todays’ Australian the Oz Embassy in BKK is quoted as saying this current matter is not a standalone instance & they have been approached a number of times by Oz couples seeking to keep only one child, if twins, not accepting a boy as they wanted a girl, wanting to cancel contracts after pregnancy etc etc

With the above occurring on a number of occasions, sad but true, these surrogacy arrangements in Thailand should be banned by all States & Territories until Federally legally enforceable responsibility can be put in place.

it's good to know the money is being administered as otherwise ... !

Le's hope the agency has records to prove one way or another.

maybe with the brown stuff hitting the fan the records will have ' disappeared ' and the agency in 5th reverse gear.

I'm happy to read some of the comments here. This is being discussed in German papers as well and 90 percent of the comments are outright disgusting. In fact, not a few comments seem to suggest that euthanasia should be mandatory, and go as far as shaming parents who decided to carry a baby that had a disability diagnosed in utero.

Now I see these comments reflected in an international community. I'm happy because it's not just us Germans who are heartless, cruel and despicable creatures. It's everybody, and I suggest here that "everybody" is a male.

Who else would be so casually asking for an abortion?

Consider this:

Is abortion in Thailand legal for this case?
Is it always safe for the mother?
Can you abort only one of two twins?
How would an illegal abortion clinic deal with complications?
Should healthy baby girls be aborted if the contract stipulates "boy only"?
If the buyers change their minds (also death or divorce), should baby be aborted?
Why this hate for women?
Why this hate for Thais?
Why this hate for innocent life?

Humans are altruistic by nature, so you, sirs, are abominations.
  • Like 1

I feel sad for the baby.  Because, the last thing the baby need to worry about is if she/he will have a loving home.

I feel sad for the baby.  Because, adult "intelligence" brought her/him to this point.

I feel sad for the baby.  Because, with so much "moral high horse" attitude, why didnt' the surrogate think he/she could be abbandoned.

I feel sad for the baby.  Because, money was the reason she/he was conceived.

I do hope that the Australian parents are being bombarded back home for being so selfish and irresponsible.  Hindsight being 20/20, if it was me, I would have brought all my children home.

• Like 1

Le's hope the agency has records to prove one way or another.

maybe with the brown stuff hitting the fan the records will have ' disappeared ' and the agency in 5th reverse gear.

If there were any records to start with.  Surrogacy for money is illegal and surrogacy with a non blood relative is illegal in Thailand. 

• Like 2

Wow...some fine humans beings who decide, Well, if its twins we only wanted one child and of a particular sex.   I expect these same fine human beings would ask the surrogate mother for half their money back when only taking one child.  Yes, fine human beings.  

moral of the story... the aussi parents asked to do an abortion... she did not ... so who is to blame ?

6 millions in donations...

that woman just won the thai lottery 6 times in a row

she can always go dump it in some monastery

Another nasty comment. However the Oz couple have ownership as currently it would be illegal to abort in this circumstance.

Article 305 of Thai Penal Code states that abortion is illegal except in cases when it is committed by a medical practitioner and is considered only as necessary if the same endangers the health of the mother or when the pregnancy is due to sexual offenses such as rape and incest.

• Like 1

If it is true the biological parents were in their 50's then it would be virtually impossible for the women to produce a fertile egg. What is likely is the surrogate was inseminated with the male's sperm. In effect, this man has abandoned his own Son! What kind of human being can do that? How can he live with himself? You think humanity can not stoop any lower and then you read a story like this! Absolutely disgusting

If it is true the biological parents were in their 50's then it would be virtually impossible for the women to produce a fertile egg. What is likely is the surrogate was inseminated with the male's sperm. In effect, this man has abandoned his own Son! What kind of human being can do that? How can he live with himself?You think humanity can not stoop any lower and then you read a story like this!Absolutely disgusting

Just wait.

This story has lots and lots of legs.

There might be more to this story as I posted somewhere else on TV.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/08/04/07/34/australian-couple-accused-of-abandoning-baby-gammy-deny-claims?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sounds logical to me...

I'm happy to read some of the comments here. This is being discussed in German papers as well and 90 percent of the comments are outright disgusting. In fact, not a few comments seem to suggest that euthanasia should be mandatory, and go as far as shaming parents who decided to carry a baby that had a disability diagnosed in utero.

Now I see these comments reflected in an international community. I'm happy because it's not just us Germans who are heartless, cruel and despicable creatures. It's everybody, and I suggest here that "everybody" is a male.

Who else would be so casually asking for an abortion?

Consider this:

Is abortion in Thailand legal for this case?
Is it always safe for the mother?
Can you abort only one of two twins?
How would an illegal abortion clinic deal with complications?
Should healthy baby girls be aborted if the contract stipulates "boy only"?
If the buyers change their minds (also death or divorce), should baby be aborted?
Why this hate for women?
Why this hate for Thais?
Why this hate for innocent life?

Humans are altruistic by nature, so you, sirs, are abominations.

Abortion is illegal but very common....almost openly promoted at some clinics

Made thousands of times per year...yes safe

Not sure if you can abort 1 safely, but you can abort both and start new

It is not about healthy baby girls, at 3 month it is about some clusters of cells not about babies.

It is pretty shocking to read something like that:
"They told me to have an abortion but I didn't agree because I am afraid of sinning," Pattaramon said, referring to her Buddhist beliefs."

There is no invisible friend who is judging you. But there is not this poor baby which will have a sad life. Specially think what happens if the mother dies.

Thinking for the living people and not about the phantasies of some lazy male monks. Punishment for sins anyway doesn't fit well with Buddhism, it is more a Christian concept.