What's the best type of washing machine to buy?

simon43

Front loader for sure.

I would buy a 7.5kg LG Direct drive washing machine (DD means no belt to break). I have never had a problem with it. Been in the consumer electronics industry for a long time and I can tell you they rarely break down.

Not the cheapest for sure but you get what you pay for..

I've got a Zanussi front loader, had it 10 years and bought second hand too ! Never broke down...

Have a separate dryer but never use as running cost the meter takes off lol

Would certainly look for another, but seeing as op has a commercial property, different scale completely. Surely better to contract out the laundry I would have thought

The obvious advantage of a front loader is that you can put another machine on top, such as a dryer/tumbler. I highly appreciate our dryer, especially during the rainy season when things hardly ever get dry without the help of a dryer.

The quality of the machines have been greatly reduced lately. We used to have an Electrolux washing machine, which lasted almost 10 years. When it finally met its creator, we decided to replace it with another Electrolux. But that was a bad decision, lots of problems and expensive repairs until less than 2 years later we gave up and bought a Siemens, one that was built in Germany. Since then no more trouble, just like the good old Electrolux, which I presume, was also built in Europe.

Based on that experience we also got a Siemens dish washer, also built in Germany. So far so good...

our front loader is vibrating a lot, I wouldn't put something on top of it.

what not even the wife,,,lol

Don't care much for WM without heating. Bed linen should be washed hot, same as towels. Otherwise front loader, Electrolux.

Yeah, I just bought one and so far so good.

Front loaders are economical space wise and suit condos/apartments, but even in a house it gives you another flat top surface and fits under cabinets. Whether you get one with a dryer or not depends on your needs, I have space and the weather soon dries things here. Integral dryers use lots of electricity, and require a venting tube.... unless they are condensing.

Front loader, put in clothes, soap powder, switch on, leave to do its thing.

I can't understand why any one does their own washing in Thailand when you can get it done externally for 500 baht a month. Do you enjoy ironing in 90F heat?

externally for 500 baht a month ?? for you maybe, my washing machine washes 14 KG and is near full 3x week

Did not know they made a washing machine that also does ironing ?

Me just phone the Lady from the next Village, she comes and collects everything I want ironing, returned next day.. 5 baht each item, shirts, trousers etc.. she use to charge 3 baht but that was about 9 years ago.

Edit: have seen how they wash externally.??. big bowl 2 caps of bleach in cold water add all your clothes and leave over night

Edited by ignis

I can't understand why any one does their own washing in Thailand when you can get it done externally for 500 baht a month. Do you enjoy ironing in 90F heat?

Not everbody lives in Bangkok/Pattaya where there is a laundry at every other corner.

Not everyone lives alone or in a two people family,

Some simply want to have control ovber what happens with their laundry (type of detergent, amount of softener).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Where can I and my GF wash all our clothes, towels, beddings and sheets for 500 baht a month?? Maybe if we use the same clothes for two weeks. And change beddings and towels once a month.

If you want a quick wash, buy a top loader and wash cold, if you ant a clean and proper wash, buy a front loader which will wash with hot water

All the water is hot 6 months a year where I live.

Edited by thailiketoo

I learned the hard way that the dealer you buy the machine from matters quite a bit. Some of them won't help you get your machine serviced should it break. The washing machine we got, a Hitachi front loader, like many items you buy these days, seems to be built in Chinese factories using second rate, probably pirated counterfeit components. Count on whatever you buy breaking soon after you buy it. So, given that, make sure, as my wife did not, that you buy from a dealer who has an interest in helping you get it serviced as opposed to blowing you off in hopes you'll just buy a new machine.

Three months after we bought the Hitachi, it completely broke down. The dealer said she couldn't find enough people to work for her so we would have to wait before she could send someone out. After two months, still same story. Why don't you just buy a new machine, looks like you got a lemon, sorry. We contacted a Hitachi service center direct in the next province and it took them another two months to make it out to have a look. They apologized that they didn't have the parts needed to fix the machine and would have to order the parts from Japan which would take another month. We waited and another two months later they finally arrived to fix the machine. We were charged full repair and parts charges, as it turned out the warranty only covered the motor parts not the mini-computer which was the source of the breakdown.

Two months later the machine broke down again. I said enough, gave the machine to my step daughter who was interested to have it fixed and use it for her family and we bought a much more sturdy looking Samsung top loader from Home Pro. They assured us there was full and immediate service to our area should the machine break, and they seem they have more of a long term interest in providing service for the customers as opposed to your Mom and Pop shop with little to no idea and/or interest in the concept of building a regular customer base by providing service.

So far so good after three months, the Samsung seems like a really good machine.

As we don't even have to talk to the dealer to replair any machine I don't know why it matters ?

We just have to contact the service center and I never heard about any exception, that's all !

Top loader is greener and quicker. less power consumption. Front loader will dry, and that is an advantage. Having said that, my new LG top loader does have a spin and airing function that will dry clothes (eventually).

Twin tub is bothersome, and doesn't dry.

I thought front loaders were more economical and use less water.

Top loader....forget all the bells and whistles and air dry with the aid of a fan. Keep track of your warranty papers because one thing is for sure, the machine will NEVER live as long as it is warrantied for, in my experience with buying everything here, and you will have to have it sent back to BKK for any warranty work. It appears that nothing in Thailand is repaired an place other than BKK

That makes at least three who've said that top loaders are more economical but with no evidence to back them up.

A simple Google search will show that front loaders are more energy efficient that top loaders and also use far less water.

Top loader is greener and quicker. less power consumption. Front loader will dry, and that is an advantage. Having said that, my new LG top loader does have a spin and airing function that will dry clothes (eventually).

Twin tub is bothersome, and doesn't dry.

I thought front loaders were more economical and use less water.

Top loader....forget all the bells and whistles and air dry with the aid of a fan. Keep track of your warranty papers because one thing is for sure, the machine will NEVER live as long as it is warrantied for, in my experience with buying everything here, and you will have to have it sent back to BKK for any warranty work. It appears that nothing in Thailand is repaired an place other than BKK

The machine will NEVER live as long as it's warranty? Ridiculous statement.

That makes at least three who've said that top loaders are more economical but with no evidence to back them up.

All you have to do is go and look in a big store.. eg: Home pro, Power Buy etc where there are lots of top and front loaders for sale.. ALL have a label on them showing costs..

For me I went out to buy a Hitachi Front loader...... but is only 8.5 KG and cost near 40,000 baht

I bought a Toshiba 14 KG Top loader.... near 17,000 baht, and on the label was cheaper to run than the Hitachi... also have 5 settings for the amount of water

To buy something that cost more than twice the amount is also a factor if they cost more or less the same to run, and do more of less the same job.

• 4 months later...

Front loader for sure.

I would buy a 7.5kg LG Direct drive washing machine (DD means no belt to break). I have never had a problem with it. Been in the consumer electronics industry for a long time and I can tell you they rarely break down.

Not the cheapest for sure but you get what you pay for..

What is the model number?

LG front load all the way. Quiet as hell, and the thing i love is it does not tear up clothes like a top loader does. I read it is much better on water and even energy too. you are out if you dont have a front loader.

What model do you recommend as being most reliable and problem free for a long period of time?

Many externally places do a terrible job. Either they don't clean it good. Or your pants look like they are 3 years old after they have washed them 2 times

And they will wash your clothes with other people's and items will inevitably get lost from time to time.

Edited by teatree