What's the best type of washing machine to buy?

simon43

Where are you all getting your information that top loaders are more efficient than front loaders? Conventional wisdom and the laundromat industry both disagree with you. It's true that front loaders are more expensive to purchase, but they are much less expensive when you look at TCO. They use less electricity, less water (about a third or less compared to a top loader) and therefore much less detergent. All of those things translate into cost savings.

Some people don't like front loaders because they have a super-fast spin cycle and can vibrate if not set upon a solid concrete or stone floor. Also, some of them lock during operation and can't be opened if you find an odd sock you want to toss in.

[edit] I just noticed you're looking to dry in the machine as well. They have machines that wash and dry in the same tub. It's great not having to lug heavy wet clothes out of one machine and into another. They are called condensing dryers and they are super energy efficient because they don't vent out the "waste" heat as conventional tumble-dryers do. They continuously recirculate the same hot air over the clothes, which saves a lot of electricity. The down side is that drying a load can take three or four hours. I had this type back in the states and loved it. Put clothes in the washer before you go to work and when you get home they're waiting for you, clean and dry.

These high efficiency washers require special detergent (you'll see "HE" on the label) that don't create a lot of suds.

Edited by attrayant

Where are you all getting your information that top loaders are more efficient than front loaders? Conventional wisdom and the laundromat industry both disagree with you. It's true that front loaders are more expensive to purchase, but they are much less expensive when you look at TCO. They use less electricity, less water (about a third or less compared to a top loader) and therefore much less detergent. All of those things translate into cost savings.

Some people don't like front loaders because they have a super-fast spin cycle and can vibrate if not set upon a solid concrete or stone floor. Also, some of them lock during operation and can't be opened if you find an odd sock you want to toss in.

Who (all) is saying that a top loader is more efficient that a front loader?

Do front loaders heat up to the required temperature?

My condo has a top loader that came with it, brand new with the plastic still on and it's absolute balls. The floor it's sat on isn't completely flat (yay Thai construction!) and it goes absolutely mental on a spin, can't fill it too much or almost breaks the window on the sliding door to the balcony and then beeps for about 15 minutes and shows an error on the screen. Also as it's cold water only it's crap for washing cotton shirts after a long day out somewhere, after 2 or 3 washes and not really getting clean the pits start to smell. I just use a laundry service for shirts now and just wash socks and boxers in the machine.

Top loader is greener and quicker. less power consumption. Front loader will dry, and that is an advantage. Having said that, my new LG top loader does have a spin and airing function that will dry clothes (eventually).

Twin tub is bothersome, and doesn't dry.

We have recently purchased a very big 'LG' top loader washing machine and their washing performance is first class for all items, in particular the very large bed items.

We also have two front loader washing machines for over 12 years, one being a "Whirlpool" and the other one being a "Siemens' both of them are very good.

The "Siemens" is a top German washing machine and has a higher perfection in its entire activity, and therefore very expensive.

Edited by personchester

I gave up western machines that doesn't wash better whatever people will tell you. I tested a lot on white clothes and nothing better, even with hot water.

Thai washing machines are finally the best because cheapest and easiest to repair + no rust because it's mainly plastic.

I was a ridiculous one thinking western machines are better but it's pure BS and people dream.

You wash your sheets daily ? Thai being said why buy a machine at all ? The cost of commercial laundering is so low it is not practical to buy a machine which is costly plus, extra water. High electric,( washing/drying/ironing, soap/softener/clothes line, etc.

We just wash, in a small tub, by hand our small items that do not require ironing and the big things, not many, go to the laundry -- very competitive prices, often negotiable and , for you, no work /worry.

Post #2: "Top loader is greener and quicker. less power consumption."

Post #5: "I have a Pansonic top loader. Hardly uses any electricity."

So change "all" to "both" in my response.

Post #5 says "hardly uses any electricity" doesn't say it's more efficient than a front loader. So change that to one post.

You wash your sheets daily ? Thai being said why buy a machine at all ? The cost of commercial laundering is so low it is not practical to buy a machine which is costly plus, extra water. High electric,( washing/drying/ironing, soap/softener/clothes line, etc.

We just wash, in a small tub, by hand our small items that do not require ironing and the big things, not many, go to the laundry -- very competitive prices, often negotiable and , for you, no work /worry.

Personally, I don't want my sheets, or anything else for that matter, thrown in with anyone else's dirty washing.

The front loaders tend not to wash as much - smaller capacity and they take flippin' forever to go complete cycles and if filled the clothes wrinkle up if you don't get them out right away.....we have both - FL was here at the house and the landlord was proud of it - an Electrolux...the wife was all happy to use it.......we also have a top loader Samsung that has served us well for a couple of years.....only concern is sometimes things come out a little twisted up as the don't have the middle agitator (we solved by 1- using the balls that they sell at Big C that somehow keep things pretty well separated while swirling around + if it's a problem garment for the (strings, etc) we use a washer bag to separate....easy.....we (I) also make sure to get clothes out promptly after the final spin so they don't cramp/fold up in there. Our once a week mae baan irons everything so the clothes are pretty pain free.......

My wife was determined to was with the front loader as - to her it seemed like a high end way to do things - so we both used it even though I knew how it would end - I tend to do the laundry - I don't mind it and it's something to do so that I don't feel like she takes on everything (which she does without prompting or complaint)......after about 2 weeks she got fed up with the front loader and asked me to hook up the Samsung and we've been using it happily ever since......

The front loader appeared to have many differently named cycles but after comparing it's really about the same.....the front loader can heat water if desired but the clothes are already sparkling clean with cold water......

The MIL has a two spinner model and I've seen her at the stores looking over the top loaders......the separate spin function really has to be a hassle......

We have atop of the range Electrolux front loader and it is total crap twice the computerised housing burnt out thankfully it happened during warranty otherwise it would have cost us 5,000 baht for each burn out. Samsung have got some mean looking top loaders and here on Koh Samui they have a fantastic service centre who will look after anything made by Samsung

Top loader is greener and quicker. less power consumption. Front loader will dry, and that is an advantage. Having said that, my new LG top loader does have a spin and airing function that will dry clothes (eventually).

I thought front loaders were more economical and use less water.

Now-a-day most electric things have stickers on them as to how much they cost to run...

Bought 11 years ago a 9 KG LG top loader, was OK, when it broke it was not worth repairing again [3rd time],

So bought a waste of time top loader 11 KG Electrolux [NOT cheap but told was made in Thailand and all part cheap Ha Ha Ha] did not last 2 years with 3 repairs and then the control panel went, new one cost 7,000 baht !!

Present washing machine is also a top loader and real superb... never had clothes so clean.. 14 KG Toshiba model AW-DC1500-WT... on the sticker was a lot more economical than a front loader........ was fed up with top loaders and intended to buy a Hitachi front loader, but this Toshiba Top Loader is great.

Highly recommend an LG front loader Direct Drive. Bought one a few years ago and it does a great job. It's simple to operate, saves water and

the Direct Drive design means the operating mechanism has only one moving part, so breakdown is very unlikely. Also, the motor has a 10-year

warranty and I paid only about 9,000 baht at Big C Extra. Read the reviews, the LG front loader Direct Drive models are very highly rated.

I thought front loaders were more economical and use less water.

thank God rear loaders dont exist

simon43 ... you are running a Commercial Hotel ... correct?

Your washing would exceed any domestic use ... even us with new babies and nappies.

I would suggest buying something that is cheap to repair and is a popular model with ready parts accessories.

You might even consider buying a stand-by cheapie Twin Tub for when the main machine eventually needs a repair.

Do front loaders heat up to the required temperature?

My condo has a top loader that came with it, brand new with the plastic still on and it's absolute balls. The floor it's sat on isn't completely flat (yay Thai construction!) and it goes absolutely mental on a spin, can't fill it too much or almost breaks the window on the sliding door to the balcony and then beeps for about 15 minutes and shows an error on the screen. Also as it's cold water only it's crap for washing cotton shirts after a long day out somewhere, after 2 or 3 washes and not really getting clean the pits start to smell. I just use a laundry service for shirts now and just wash socks and boxers in the machine.

6 months a year the normal water entering the machine is hot. I use different liquid detergents for whites and black and dark colors. I soak my clothes for a few hours before washing.

I wear Old Navy khaki cotton shorts and all cotton shirts and more expensive than God's underwear from Marks and Spencer. I also wash my caps every 4 or 5 times wearing.

Being married all my life I got used to pink underwear but now since I do my own laundry its sparkling white.

Now everything I wear is baby soft, clean and comfortable. I also have a foam bag that I wash my cloth athletic shoes in.

Post #5 says "hardly uses any electricity" doesn't say it's more efficient than a front loader. So change that to one post.

Why are you harping on such an insignificant issue? Any reasonable reading of the phrase "hardly uses any electricity" should make it clear that the poster is attempting to extol the energy-consumption virtues of the appliance. In fact, "hardly any" means almost none or next to zero. It's hard not to read that as being synonymous with energy efficient.

Never ever ever get an all-one washer/dryer unless you are super tight on space. The clothes will take forever to finish and will come out a wrinkled mess. Get decent size separate washer & dryer, give the clothes a quick shake when they come out of the dryer, most won't have to be ironed at all. Top load or front load doesn't really matter. Trust me, from a lazy guy whose wife now does the wash...NO all-in-ones, especially those tiny European things.

Why are you harping on such an insignificant issue? Any reasonable reading of the phrase "hardly uses any electricity" should make it clear that the poster is attempting to extol the energy-consumption virtues of the appliance. In fact, "hardly any" means almost none or next to zero. It's hard not to read that as being synonymous with energy efficient.

I'm not "harping", I'm just pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement "Where are you all getting your information that top loaders are more efficient than front loaders?" "You all" suggesting everybody, when in fact it was one person who actually said that. Perhaps you should have actually read all the posts before making that statement.

I learned the hard way that the dealer you buy the machine from matters quite a bit. Some of them won't help you get your machine serviced should it break. The washing machine we got, a Hitachi front loader, like many items you buy these days, seems to be built in Chinese factories using second rate, probably pirated counterfeit components. Count on whatever you buy breaking soon after you buy it. So, given that, make sure, as my wife did not, that you buy from a dealer who has an interest in helping you get it serviced as opposed to blowing you off in hopes you'll just buy a new machine.

Three months after we bought the Hitachi, it completely broke down. The dealer said she couldn't find enough people to work for her so we would have to wait before she could send someone out. After two months, still same story. Why don't you just buy a new machine, looks like you got a lemon, sorry. We contacted a Hitachi service center direct in the next province and it took them another two months to make it out to have a look. They apologized that they didn't have the parts needed to fix the machine and would have to order the parts from Japan which would take another month. We waited and another two months later they finally arrived to fix the machine. We were charged full repair and parts charges, as it turned out the warranty only covered the motor parts not the mini-computer which was the source of the breakdown.

Two months later the machine broke down again. I said enough, gave the machine to my step daughter who was interested to have it fixed and use it for her family and we bought a much more sturdy looking Samsung top loader from Home Pro. They assured us there was full and immediate service to our area should the machine break, and they seem they have more of a long term interest in providing service for the customers as opposed to your Mom and Pop shop with little to no idea and/or interest in the concept of building a regular customer base by providing service.

So far so good after three months, the Samsung seems like a really good machine.

Secondary request.

What soap to use with cold water, I expect it must have some enzymes but are not able to see it ?

It is a different soap for cold water but it's the normal one you get everywhere here. I don't know what's in it that makes it work in cold water but whatever it is, it's been around for a long time.

From that point of view you need to buy a special type of powder to use in a machine that uses hot water - the front loaders. It's my understanding that there's only a handful of machine powders that are suitable for hot washes.

The water is rarely what you could call cold in Thailand, tepid or lukewarm maybe.

I wonder why noone is considering that one of the dirtier things with washing clothes in Thailand is the rinsing water.

The public water is full of bacteries and your rinsed and centifuged clothes still contain these bacteries.

Specially in humid season when clothes don't get dry in short time, these bacteries have a ball multiplying.

This is why your shirts start smelling funny after you add a bit of your own sweat.

I am happy I decided for an all-in Electrolux about 6 years ago. heat dry our clothing pretty hot so it kills most part (probably not all, dunno) of the germs.

So ladies, this is my story. Some more cake?

My wife and I have a Samsung 6kg Toploader , which we bought 10yrs ago and haven't had any trouble with it .

We do mountains of washing for ourselves , grandchildren and my wife's parents .

We live in a rural village with a garden and big covered porches . Everything dries very quickly hanging outside in the open or under a porch .

Given that you are operating a hotel operation you know you need to consider the following factors:

1) how many rooms.

2) what is your intention with regards to clean sheets? If you have guests staying for a week, then you might want to change the sheets twice (before check in, and half way though)

3) if they are staying just one night.....clean sheets for the next guest?

4) is it worth employing a member of staff purely to do the laundry or maybe is it better outsourcing.

5) getting a decent laundry is very difficult but is one of the highest complaint areas on guest surveys.

I realise that you started by asking what kind of machine is best but I do feel that the above need considering beforehand.

Personally.... I would sub-contract it to a large hotel in the area, they have their own laundries, have high standards and just make sure that your sheets etc are clearly identified so that you don't get their hand offs.

The more money you spend, the better the machine, surprise. The German brands are best.

The two tub top loaders are there to say one has a washing machine, minimal and lots of human interaction needed.

Front loader is standard world wide for house use.

None will spin the clothes really DRY. Usually get to the no drip stage only.

For your needs, you should get a laundry to do it. Maybe even pick up and deliver.

Thailand is NOT a DIY nation. Be like Toyota and hire the local cheap labor and relax your mind.

The bigger the better?

Does your missus take regard of the loading instructions or does she cram it over full?

Not only do things not wash properly but on a huge duvet, there are friction burns due to the overload LOL

Washing machines cause the most wear on fabrics in our house LOL

Oh yes, I´ve tried explaining, even resorted to RTFM, and Google with pictures, but she who must be obeyed knows better LOL

We have a fine Hitachi and despite all attempts to wreck it, it´s going well after a couple of years.

I quite like the pretty song it sings to tell you that it has finished it´s cycle.

Note that continual cold water washes will tend to clog up the pipes which can cause nasty smells.

An empty, near to boiling wash should be done once or twice a year to keep it fresh and clean.

Our front loader in Spain has a specific "Maintenance" cycle for this.

• Like 1

It depends a lot on the kind of clothes you plan to wash. I committed the fatal error to wash silk sheets in a top loader and they started to decay soon. Considering the fact that the sheets are more expensive than the WM, not a smart idea. Any clothes that deserve some care should never step into a top loader, learned from experience. 20b shirts are ok and sometimes I wonder if it is worth of cleaning them or just use them for rags after using them.

Personally, other than for convenience, it just takes a little planning, I wouldnt bother getting one. For the actual cost of a decent machine, and potential hassle, I would use a laundry service. Find a good one, drop it off, pick it up ironed and folded and on hangers. These services are soooo cheap in Thailand I think its a better way to go for single person or married couples, if you have a full family and a couple of kids etc then maybs not so cost efficient.