just found out about wifes car deal thats gone horribly wrong

I'm recently married and currently trying not to get involved in a small problem that relates to a car deal that my better half entered into over a year ago with a rogue thai man. 

Keeping it short.... she wanted to sell her old car to buy a new one with finance. At the time of the initial deal the guy that sold her the new car also made a deal with her regarding the old vechile. He promised that he would try to sell her the old car on the basis that he kind of looked after the car (ie take possession) where he would pay the monthly loan of around 9k- direct to her bank acc. It was all going well until recently when he missed the june and july payment. 

Obviously its the most stupid deal Ive ever heard of and she admits this now. She is simply an honest and trusting person.  To clarify... she gave her car to some random car salesman. The car is in her name and so is the loan. The guy now works at a different dealership in town. I went to the dealership pretending to be a customer to check him out. He is a large guy and looks like someone I wouldn't want to mess with to be honest. 

I know that its not best to get involved with thai issues but recommended that her dad go visit the guy to get the car back. ie give him 24 hours to get his stuff out and clean it up. Would you agree this is the best and only solution? If the guy doesn't oblige do you think that her father should pay a visit to the police and get their help? 

If they dont get the car back and start making the payments my wifes credit history with the bank will be up the crapper. FYI, the car is worth in the high 400's and the loan is mid 300's. 

Any suggestions are appreciated. If we get the car back I dont even want to be seen driving it around as the guy looks like a bit of a circus animal and not sure what he is capable of. 

It was all going well until recently when he missed the june and july payment

Has anyone actually asked him why he missed the june/july payments.?

Proceed dependant upon his answer. Maybe he will restart payment else it's police and recover car.

You must not believe any single aspect of this story about the car deal gone terribly wrong.

That's why you cannot get involved.

Be aware that now that you are married you are responsible for 50% of any debts, or bad debts, you wife incurs.

Is this correct? If a farang marries a thai lady after she has incurred debt how can this be suddenly a joint and several loan- the bank would not even know of the farangs name and thus cant see how the above statement can be true. 

I would call the filth and report it stolen.

Spoonman has a good idea.  Since it is legally in her name tell the guy return it immediately or it will be reported stolen.  Of course have your wife do this lol.  I sometimes wonder if Thais or so trusting or its just the idea of getting something more easily then hoping things work out in the end.  Is it face that drives them to do such dumb things?

You must not believe any single aspect of this story about the car deal gone terribly wrong.

Be aware that now that you are married you are responsible for 50% of any debts, or bad debts, you wife incurs.

Is this correct? If a farang marries a thai lady after she has incurred debt how can this be suddenly a joint and several loan- the bank would not even know of the farangs name and thus cant see how the above statement can be true. 

I am not qualified to be more specific than I was. I'm not sure about debts incurred before marriage. I've only been informed about a husband's liability after marriage. Sorry if I was misleading.

• Like 1

This is a no brainer. Tell the guy by regular mail that he either pays up  returns the car or it will be reported stolen and he will go to jail

Its that simple or is your wife too good to do this

I hope not or she will be taken serious advantage of

I think at the end of the day it depends on the written agreement that your wife made with the guy she is buying the car from.

I'm almost certain there will be no written agreement.

Agree with some of the others, I very much doubt this is the whole story, there is more to it than 'he agreed to look after the car for her and make the monthly payments'.

• Like 1

Typical Thai taking on more debt with a new car when the last one isn't paid off. Cars are relatively easy to sell if they haven't been wrecked. Make sure she doesn't have your ATM card. Sounds like she has money management problems.

Oh, and yea everybody had it right. Call the popo and have them help you straighten it out. You may not have to report it stolen. They will go over and get the story. You'll have to pay for their time tho. Cops don't do their job for free in LOS.
  • Like 2

First catch up the payments.  Have her ask him for the car back and if he refuses have the police go with her.  The car is registered to her, unless there is a written agreement that he is in legal possession such as a rental contract, it is her car she can take it when she wants.

This is a no brainer. Tell the guy by regular mail that he either pays up  returns the car or it will be reported stolen and he will go to jail

Its that simple or is your wife too good to do this

I hope not or she will be taken serious advantage of

Registered Mail so he has to sign for it and you have proof your wife made a demand for the continued payments or return the car. In the US most dealer, especially.Used Car Dealer keep a key and when you do not pay they take the note to authorties and reposses the car wherever they find it.

• Like 1

First catch up the payments.  Have her ask him for the car back and if he refuses have the police go with her.  The car is registered to her, unless there is a written agreement that he is in legal possession such as a rental contract, it is her car she can take it when she wants.

Totally agree, but many of us farangs do NOT know what is going on behind the "Thai" scene.

OP must get to the bottom of stuff first. If he is being asked to pay the monthly payments to get out of trouble, I would w00t.gif .

I think at the end of the day it depends on the written agreement that your wife made with the guy she is buying the car from.

I am happily married (7yrs) and can trust my wife------- I think and hope------ But if she came to me with a story like that,I would be very suspicious. Too many doubtful scenarios,and sorry to have to say this to you but--SHE'S A THAI. Tell her to sort it out herself.If you get involved you could end up in deep shit-------- Beware !!!
  • Like 1

I am fairly sure that isn't correct....You are a guest in this country, until you gain permanent residency, then maybe you may be liable.

If you didn't sign anything regarding this New Car.....Your not responsible....

• Like 1

I'll echo what many have said here.  Try once to get the payments started again, give him one week or less then go to the police because the car is in her name.  I hope she has the BLUE book.  You always keep the BLUE book when you are the one loaning the money, so to speak.  You can explain the situation as you did here or lie and say it was stolen and you can also sweeten the deal (maybe) with a little extra cash to the head man.  Have a family discussion on how to proceed and then ACT!

She should go to see the salesman but accompanied by an equally sized Thai guy. Give him one only one opportunity to explain then engage the measures suggested by the other contributors. Better still take 2 or 3 Thai male companions, well briefed.

If there are 2 months outstanding payments it is quite likely that the bank are already looking to repossess the car so you cannot afford to mess around. If they do repossess don't assume that paying up the arrears will get the car back, they could insist on anything up to 12 months payments before they return it.

The police probably won't be interested unless you are very lucky and if you report it stolen you could very well be the person ending up in trouble. The guy can obviously prove that he has been sending payments for the car every month.

As it's only 2 months payments it would seem reasonable to first ask the guy why he hasn't paid, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation. If not use the spare set of keys (your wife did keep the spare keys didn't she) and take it back one night. You could have it down to the local used car dealer and sold before he knows it's gone.

Yes, "This is Thailand", but the rule of Law still applies...   Have her contact and consult with an Attorney / Lawyer regarding her best course of action...  Of course this will require her telling the Lawyer the entire story including copies of any agreements or contracts between her and this guy...   The relatively small Legal Fee will probably be well worth the amount based upon what is at risk...

Pianoman

Edited by metisdead
Unnecessary usage of bold font removed.

I think this really is a no-brainer.....now correct me if I am wrong: The only deal was that the salesman would try to sell the car?  Is he given a commission on any sale that he makes?  If no, then just make him an offer on the car!   As all money would go to your wife, then it stays with you essentially......he doesn't even have to know who you are and when he goes to change registration they you can inquire as to who the real owner is etc etc.   But if he is not being paid a commission at all, then just buy it again!  Make sense?

• Like 1