Narathiwat is it safe?

Christopher84

Hi. Me and my girlfriend are heading down to Narathiwat by the end of this weekend to attend a wedding of my friend. We have never been this far south before and i would like to hear from others that have been there recently or are living down there how the safety really is. I have heard a lot of about this place in the news and there seems to be a violent place. What should you be aware of when you down there etc? which areas to avoid? Ive done a lot of research through Google but it just look similar to what the medias are saying about Bangkok under the coup etc, which i know is not that dangerous. any comments are appreciated. 

Chris

The chances of your being targeted in an insurgent attack are close to nil, but some areas carry more risk than others. Which district is it?

That said, there have been reports that the BRN has ordered its RKK units to carry out attacks during Hari Rayor, which is still underway.

Unless your friends are government officials, I doubt you would have any trouble.

There are some beautiful national parks down there that are well worth checking out.

• Like 1

It is certainly more dangerous then bangkok was under the coup. I think I would be looking for an excuse not to go. I've been down to Pattani a couple of times and it doesn't feel right to me. There are people here that might tell you its fine, It might be but it might not be too.
  • Like 1

I won't go south of Phattalung.

That's just plainly nonsensical, do you leave your house and venture onto Thailand's roads?
If you do then you're in far more danger.

Mainly I don't go south of Phattalung because of the rarity of pork.

To answer your question, Yes I do. I tour Thailand on my motorcycle. I have been from Moei to Mukdahan and Chiang Rai to Krabi. I have 180,000 km on my truck since new in 6 years and have put 50,000 km on my bike. I find it rather safe to drive here. I used to think Americans could drive better but now I have my doubts. I learn the lousy driving habits of the locals and figure a way around them.

I have been living and driving in Asia for 23 years.

Mainly I don't go south of Phattalung because of the rarity of pork.

That's also total nonsense, plenty of pork in Hat Yai.

and in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala

driving down to Sadoe from Had Yai, <> there are a number of pig farms along the way.... there is always a bit of a whiff in the air!...  (probably more noticeable on a motorbike! ) whistling.gif

Obviously a few here trying to make racist comments sad.pngbah.gif 

• Like 1