Stopped Near Central Festival - Westerners on Motorbikes - License Required

davevi

Stupid question perhaps... but everyone is saying they are checking for a drivers license and if you produce one you are on your way.

Do you need to produce a Thai drivers license? Or an International Drivers License? Or is a drivers license from your home country acceptable?

Stupid question perhaps... but everyone is saying they are checking for a drivers license and if you produce one you are on your way.

Do you need to produce a Thai drivers license? Or an International Drivers License? Or is a drivers license from your home country acceptable?

Acceptable  under the law, or acceptable to the specific policeman? There may well be a difference.

I was stopped and ticketed by a Vermont State Trooper for 'passing in an area marked with double yellow lines.' I challenged it in court and won. Although 'most' state laws prohibit passing when there are double yellow lines, Vermont law says nothing about the lines, only that it is illegal to pass 'when the way ahead is not clear.'  That particular State Trooper simply did not know the law.  Not all street cops do. They 'think' they do, though, and act accordingly.

If you want to save yourself the hassle of dealing with a street cop who doesn't know the law here in Thailand, get either a Thai driver's license or an International Drivers License.  While your home country's license may be valid, most Thai street cops won't think so.

Your choice how you want to spend your time...

• Like 1

Acceptable  under the law, or acceptable to the specific policeman? There may well be a difference.

I was stopped and ticketed by a Vermont State Trooper for 'passing in an area marked with double yellow lines.' I challenged it in court and won. Although 'most' state laws prohibit passing when there are double yellow lines, Vermont law says nothing about the lines, only that it is illegal to pass 'when the way ahead is not clear.'  That particular State Trooper simply did not know the law.  Not all street cops do. They 'think' they do, though, and act accordingly.

If you want to save yourself the hassle of dealing with a street cop who doesn't know the law here in Thailand, get either a Thai driver's license or an International Drivers License.  While your home country's license may be valid, most Thai street cops won't think so.

An IDL are illegal. An IDP are legal BUT must be backed up by your home country DL. An IDP is only valid for 1 year and presented at same time as your home DL. Agree get a Thai DL.

An IDL are illegal. An IDP are legal BUT must be backed up by your home country DL. An IDP is only valid for 1 year and presented at same time as your home DL. Agree get a Thai DL.

Not 'illegal.'  Simply incorrect terminology. Mia Culpa

Different providers call it by different names. Point of fact; it it little more than a translation of your home country's driving license, and neither license nor permit to drive. As you say, a valid driver's license from your home country is still required.

International Driver’s License vs. International Driving Permit

You may hear the term “international driver’s license” or “IDL” used; however, this is an incorrect reference to the international driving permit.

From Wiki:How to Apply for an International Driving License

The American Automobile Association (AAA) advises getting an international driver's license, recognized in up to 175 countries, even if you don't plan to drive when traveling. This international driving permit provides a translation of your domestic driver's license in 10 languages and provides a form of identification authorities recognize. More than 40 countries require an international driving permit to rent a car.

I was stopped at the same interception last week on my way to HomePro... Showed my Thai Drivers license - then he asked me to see a copy of my motorcycle green book showing ownership (which I had)... Then on my way... Very professional... I do not think I was profiled because I was a foreigner...

I would note it was the end of the month and they may have been out making their quota... Edited by sfokevin

Different providers call it by different names. Point of fact; it it little more than a translation of your home country's driving license, and neither license nor permit to drive. As you say, a valid driver's license from your home country is still required.

International Drivers License vs. International Driving Permit
You may hear the term international drivers license or IDL used; however, this is an incorrect reference to the international driving permit.

The American Automobile Association (AAA) advises getting an international driver's license, recognized in up to 175 countries, even if you don't plan to drive when traveling. This international driving permit provides a translation of your domestic driver's license in 10 languages and provides a form of identification authorities recognize. More than 40 countries require an international driving permit to rent a car.

This is from AAA..

APPLICATION FOR INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT
or
INTER-AMERICAN DRIVING PERMIT FEE FOR EACH PERMIT $15.00

Forum can be download at    http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

IDL is what you get on  Khoa San Road. This is legal.
idp.jpg

This is not.

INTERNATIONAL-TRAFFIC%20TICKET%20FLORIDA
  • Like 1

International Drivers License vs. International Driving Permit
You may hear the term international drivers license or IDL used; however, this is an incorrect reference to the international driving permit.

This is from AAA..

APPLICATION FOR INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT
or
INTER-AMERICAN DRIVING PERMIT FEE FOR EACH PERMIT $15.00

Forum can be download at    http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

IDL is what you get on  Khoa San Road. This is legal.
idp.jpg

This is not.

INTERNATIONAL-TRAFFIC%20TICKET%20FLORIDA

I'm not disputing the little gray booklet. We are talking about the same thing.

It is just called by different names on different websites.  Same little booklet, different terminology.

If you want accurate semantics, it is neither a permit nor a license. It is a translation and verification of driving classes.

The Khaosan Rd card isn't called either a permit nor a license. It says its a 'document.' We both say it's worthless.  smile.png

• Like 1

Agree FG. When I first came to Thailand they had paper dl all in Thai. Same requirements 1 year was a temporary and could not be used outside Thailand. The 5 years was also paper and all in Thai so an IDP was required for use outside Thailand. The IDP was obtained at the LTD on the Hang Dong Rd. Good for 1 year and is of the kind in my first photo. I tell people if it makes them fill better to get and IDP. When Thailand went over to the smart card dl which is in Thai and English it just about made the IDP obsolete. I have rented and driven in the US on my Thai DL with NO IDP. The problem threw out Thailand is very few authorities know or care to know what is real, fact, copy or required. Which relates to the foreign visitor having not a clue.

I was under the impression that the International driver licences were only valid for the first six months here

re

The problem threw out Thailand is very few authorities know or care to know what is real

or in shops offices etc

i went in the samsung service centre a few weeks ago with a tablet problem on my 7.7

gave it and my 5 year dl to the boy receptionist of about twenty who then asked me for my address sad.png

so i said  .... its on the back of the dl

ahhhhhhh ok .... he had no idea it was there sad.png

dave2

Edited by dave2

With a Thai licence,bike or car, so easy to get why would anyone want an international permit/licence when you are at the mercy/discretion of the BIB who stops you.

A Thai licence has other benefits accepted by most hotels, instead of your passport,handy if you forgot it, Thai price at National Parks and other venues and proof of address.

Cost a whole 100 baht a year for a 5 year licence..no brainer.

About the passport,...I mentioned this to my wife and she said..."Thai people are required by law to carry their Thai ID card. Why do foreigners think they should not have to carry their equivalent form of ID, aka "passport",  in Thailand?" I think she has a point. 

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was under the impression that the International driver licences were only valid for the first six months here

If you are a resident here (as opposed to a tourist) you are required to get a valid Thai driving license after six months (that could actually be three months or five months... I'm not certain of the number, but AM certain that you must get it rather than continue to use the International Drivers license/permit/thingie. The law is the same in Japan, and there, violation of it can result in deportation. I used an International Drivers Little Gray Booklet for almost 10 years in Japan... Then they changed the laws adding in the severe penalty. I had to then get a Japanese license immediately. Here in Thailand, I doubt the penalty would be much more than a monetary fine, but the requirement to change to a Thai drivers license is the same.

The International Drivers Permit is made for tourists driving in other countries. There are pages inside the booklet in 10 different languages (different groups of languages depending upon which country issues the permit) translating your home country's license into local language so police can see if you are authorized at home to drive a motorcycle, car, bus, 18-wheeler, APC, etc.

With a Thai licence,bike or car, so easy to get why would anyone want an international permit/licence when you are at the mercy/discretion of the BIB who stops you.

A Thai licence has other benefits accepted by most hotels, instead of your passport,handy if you forgot it, Thai price at National Parks and other venues and proof of address.

Cost a whole 100 baht a year for a 5 year licence..no brainer.

As I said, this booklet is really made for tourists visiting other countries. It's not something that a resident would get to drive locally. As you say, the cost for a local license is not a deal-breaker, and the benefits are many.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I'm unable to re-edit my previous post, but knowing how a few of ThaiVisa members think, let me rephrase this first sentence;

If you are a resident here (as opposed to a tourist) you are required to get a valid Thai driving license after six months (that could actually be three months or five months... I'm not certain of the number, but AM certain that you must get it ) rather than continue to use the International Drivers license/permit/thingie.

It should read:

'If you are a resident here (as opposed to a tourist) you are required to get a valid Thai driving license after six months (that could actually be three months or five months... I'm not certain of the number, but AM certain that you must get it ) rather than continue to use the International Drivers license/permit/thingie IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE IN THAILAND.  To be clear, if you do not want to drive here, you are under no obligation to get a Thai driver's license.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1