Stopped Near Central Festival - Westerners on Motorbikes - License Required

davevi

It seems there is currently a targeted crackdown on westerners on motorbikes near Central Festival in all directions, just after you turn either left or right.  

My Thai friend was not stopped.  He was on a motorbike next to me.  I was stopped (I am western) along with a westerner who was moving through the intersection just behind me.  

The officer, who was very professional, said hello followed immediately by "you have license?"  I am fully licensed for motorbikes and cars.  I showed him my card, he read it carefully, then smiled and commented in Thai on my good helmet.  We were then allowed to leave.

I am not sure what the fine would have been had I not produced a license.

To be clear westerners are not the only people being stopped.  They are also stopping Thais, pick up trucks mostly in the time I was in the area.   

Although I have been stopped a few times in Chiang Mai at these surprise stops around town, I've never been asked specifically to produce a driving license.  

I was asked multiple times to show a driving license when stopped with the car.

Friend in Pattaya is regularly stopped at checkpoints and asked for driving license and documents (insurance?) for the scooter.

Hardly a crack down as this has been going on for years.  I think I got my first ticket back in 2007 for a passenger with no helmet.     Have also seen it up country so it is not just a Chiang Mai thing.    Wear a helmet is the way to pass right on through.   

This could qualify as a pinned topic because it is being raised every week and the crackdown is ongoing with no sign of a let up.

It might seem like a crackdown to you, but to me it's just plain law enforcement.
Should have been doing it years ago.

For many years these laws were not being seriously enforced and now they are, persistently. That's called a crackdown.

crackdown (ˈkrækˌdaʊn)

n.
the severe or stern enforcement of laws or regulations.

Well the law applies to everyone so why think westerners should not be treated like the Thai people. It is about time people driving without a license or a helmet should be made to pay for there stupidity. They should also increase the fine to make people think twice when not following the LAW

quote: " They should also increase the fine to make people think twice when not following the LAW "

I couldn't agree more but don't believe the " think twice when not following the LAW"  would change.wink.png 

Edited by ThaiWx
  • Like 1

I was pulled over, driving a hire car ,in Hua Hin a year ago and asked for my licence. I gave the jovial officer my Thai licence which had my CM address on it. His reason for stopping me was to ensure that I had a valid Thai licence.I also showed him my passport and he noted the retirement extension. So if you have a visa for retirement,marriage etc it is expected you have a Thai licence and not,as many still do, operate on an International or home country licences. I think that is perfectly reasonable and the same rules would apply in our home countries.

So a new crackdown ? hardly

• Like 1

I have noticed Police with bright Red Fronts to their'Crash Helmets' doing the checks.

I think Chiang Mai City Police have Black fronts and Highway Police Gold fronts.

Outside 'troops' brought in for the 'Crackdown'.

john

Hardly a crack down as this has been going on for years.  I think I got my first ticket back in 2007 for a passenger with no helmet.     Have also seen it up country so it is not just a Chiang Mai thing.    Wear a helmet is the way to pass right on through.   

He the OP was talking about being stopped even though he had a helmet and being asked for his Driving licence. Do you get it now ?

It's a bit of free entertainment while waiting for the lights to change. Everybody got a huge kick out of watching an officer chase down 3 teens on a bike yesterday morning at that intersection. None were wearing helmets and no way were they going to stop!

To the OP: Thanks for sharing your experience. We need sensible people like yourself posting here to keep things real. Don't let stupid replies get you down.
  • Like 1

Did they ask for a passport?

That's a good question.

An even better question is whether or not foreigners are required by law to carry their passports.

I've posted this before but it bears repeating...  I started a topic on this subject a while ago, but nobody could cite a specific law.  I don't think one exists.

I do know that in the mid-90s a crusading zealot named Purachai, who had recently been appointed to a high position in the national police stated unequivocally in a long interview in the #1 English language newspaper that all foreigners must carry their passports at all times - photocopies were unacceptable because they could be too easily altered.

Many posters have gotten away with showing photocopies and, or, alternative ID... but how long will it be until this too becomes an issue, and another opportunity for extortion masquerading as law enforcement? 

This could qualify as a pinned topic because it is being raised every week and the crackdown is ongoing with no sign of a let up.

Dont recommend the title as its very bigotry and prejudice by the op. In the op's article he/she did say that Thais were being stopped. BTW is is nothing new for Chiang Mai.

Bigotry and prejudice?  cheesy.gif  

He the OP was talking about being stopped even though he had a helmet and being asked for his Driving licence. Do you get it now ?

Yes, I do have another helmet now.    They can still stop you if you wear one but it doesn't seem to happen too often.   Stopping cars and bikes is fairly common practice but it does seem to intensify just before CMU goes into session.   Lots of students arriving so the accident rates go up.   

That's a good question.

An even better question is whether or not foreigners are required by law to carry their passports.

I've posted this before but it bears repeating...  I started a topic on this subject a while ago, but nobody could cite a specific law.  I don't think one exists.

I do know that in the mid-90s a crusading zealot named Purachai, who had recently been appointed to a high position in the national police stated unequivocally in a long interview in the #1 English language newspaper that all foreigners must carry their passports at all times - photocopies were unacceptable because they could be too easily altered.

Many posters have gotten away with showing photocopies and, or, alternative ID... but how long will it be until this too becomes an issue, and another opportunity for extortion masquerading as law enforcement? 

From the news...

'Expats and tourists will not have to carry their passports on them at all times, it was reported today following earlier reports that laws requiring foreigners to do so will soon be strictly enforced.

Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat, a senior official at the Immigration Bureau’s headquarters in Bangkok, told Thaivisa.com that he wanted to reassure the expat community.

Tourists will not have to carry their original passports and expats can use a Thai driving licence or photocopy of their passport as a form of identification, he was quoted as saying.

“Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult,” he said. “It’s about being reasonable and using common sense.”  '

Note the line that says 'that laws requiring foreigners to do so ...'  From this, it appears that there are laws requiring foreigners to do so, but that they will not be strictly enforced.  I hope this clears up the issue for you.

No, it doesn't clear up the issue.  It's just another high-ranking cop making a pronouncement.

If a law does exist, let us see it.

• Like 1

I have noticed Police with bright Red Fronts to their'Crash Helmets' doing the checks.
I think Chiang Mai City Police have Black fronts and Highway Police Gold fronts.
Outside 'troops' brought in for the 'Crackdown'.

john

Military police.

Keeping an eye on the BIB.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's a good question.

From the news...

'Expats and tourists will not have to carry their passports on them at all times, it was reported today following earlier reports that laws requiring foreigners to do so will soon be strictly enforced.

Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat, a senior official at the Immigration Bureau’s headquarters in Bangkok, told Thaivisa.com that he wanted to reassure the expat community.

Tourists will not have to carry their original passports and expats can use a Thai driving licence or photocopy of their passport as a form of identification, he was quoted as saying.

“Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult,” he said. “It’s about being reasonable and using common sense.”  '

Note the line that says 'that laws requiring foreigners to do so ...'  From this, it appears that there are laws requiring foreigners to do so, but that they will not be strictly enforced.  I hope this clears up the issue for you.

this has been kicked around before. Personally I don't know for sure. I carry a copy of my passport and extended one year visa along with my entry copy on a plasticized copy that fits in my wallet. I have never been asked for my copy or my passport.

I was just wondering how many people had been asked for their passport and had no problem showing a copy?

As for the OP and the rest of us it would at times be better to say police are now asking for drivers licenses. Rather than farongs are being asked. Even though he did later say that Thais were being asked.

It seems there is currently a targeted crackdown on westerners ...

To be clear westerners are not the only people being stopped.  They are also stopping Thais, pick up trucks mostly in the time I was in the area.

So why say they are targeting westerners?

Those road blocks around Central Festival on all corners have been going for well over a year....they are not targeting westerners, they stop everyone in equal measure. I have seen no evidence that they are targeting westerners.

Every time I have been stopped I have been asked for my licence. 

The most amusing one I saw was a Thai lad being waived down....he slowed down and then just went round the cop and sped off! 

Edited by kjhbigv
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's a good question.

From the news...

this has been kicked around before. Personally I don't know for sure. I carry a copy of my passport and extended one year visa along with my entry copy on a plasticized copy that fits in my wallet. I have never been asked for my copy or my passport.

I was just wondering how many people had been asked for their passport and had no problem showing a copy?

As for the OP and the rest of us it would at times be better to say police are now asking for drivers licenses. Rather than farongs are being asked. Even though he did later say that Thais were being asked.

I've been asked, at different times, for license and for passport. I carry a photocopy of the front page, visa, and most recent franking all on one sheet of paper. Never been a problem, and always receive a smile, a thank you, and waved on.  I've recently started carrying a miniaturized color copy of the front page, laminated and wallet sized. I'll try that next time.

• Like 1

These checkpoints and also the one on the doi saket road have been their many times a week for the last year.They do not target westerners anymore than Thais.

Perhaps not but living near the train station, I have been crossing the Nawarat Bridge going on Thapae Rd for quite awhile so I have passed the police gauntlet without being stopped until 3 weeks ago. The cop, 1st asked for the license, then looked for the tax sticker which was under the seat, then ask for my green book, I had only the copy. It seems, he was going though a check list to catch me on an offense. I felt, he wasn't too pleased that his time didn't net him a ticket. Last week again, I got stopped at the same place. I smiled and before the cop could say anything, I whipped out my license. He said thank you and waved me on.

I should add that my wife and I both wear helmets.

Edited by vagabond48