One student killed and 22 injured in Nakhon Pathom road crash

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sterotypes my ass! The accident rate in Thailand is totally out of control and it is about time the government and police got serious - not a week goes by without a serious road accident and God knows how many schoolchildren have been involved. How dreadful for the parents. This guy should get ten years to set an example to other idiots like him - racing a songthaew full of school kids - how <deleted> moronic can it get!

Don't Stereotype!

Thai drivers are the same everybody else!

Some race each other while transporting children. Happens everywhere.  

You are joking or just plain stupid, . It doesn't happen everywhere, that is the whole point. If it did the UK would have 20 000 road deaths a year not  1500. Similar populations numbers but completely different driving mentality and law enforcement, vehicle safety etc. Thais are among the worst drivers in the world, everyone seems to know this except you! If they were great drivers I would be more than happy to point that out. I guess we all would.

• Like 1

You ever drive in Cambodia? I have 25 thousand km clocked on my motorbike between Thailand and Cambodia. Minor league to some for sure, but qualifies me to judge there are worse drivers than in Thailand. But I do not even feel safe walking in either country, despite having done lots of it!
  • Like 1

"It was reported that the students normally travelled to school in a passenger van. However, the van broke down this morning and the owner hired the song-thaew truck to take the students to the school."

Cutting corners and reducing costs. Should be partially held to account for supplying more dangerous mode of transport.

was the truck dangerous or was it the moron driving it while "engaged in racing another truck"?

• Like 1

"It was reported that the students normally travelled to school in a passenger van. However, the van broke down this morning and the owner hired the song-thaew truck to take the students to the school."

Cutting corners and reducing costs. Should be partially held to account for supplying more dangerous mode of transport.

was the truck dangerous or was it the moron driving it while "engaged in racing another truck"?

Reading skills not to sharp, huh?  The truck the sonk thaew hit was PARKED in front of a repair shop. And it was the song thaew driver who was racing with another truck.  Just a suggestion, but if English isn't your first language, have someone read and explain articles who IS proficient in the language.

How do you get 21+ people in a song-thaew?  

Exactly, Then be able to use it as a race car?
jb1

Sterotypes my ass! The accident rate in Thailand is totally out of control and it is about time the government and police got serious - not a week goes by without a serious road accident and God knows how many schoolchildren have been involved. How dreadful for the parents. This guy should get ten years to set an example to other idiots like him - racing a songthaew full of school kids - how <deleted> moronic can it get!

Don't Stereotype!

Thai drivers are the same everybody else!

Some race each other while transporting children. Happens everywhere.  

You are joking or just plain stupid, . It doesn't happen everywhere, that is the whole point. If it did the UK would have 20 000 road deaths a year not  1500. Similar populations numbers but completely different driving mentality and law enforcement, vehicle safety etc. Thais are among the worst drivers in the world, everyone seems to know this except you! If they were great drivers I would be more than happy to point that out. I guess we all would.

With you 100 percent Driving here is a nightmare, no matter where in Thailand you live it's Dangerous...

Its obvious that you have never driven by a school as the kids head for home in the afternoon, beats me sometimes how they manage to hang on at the back .facepalm.gifw00t.gif

22 people in a baht bus.  Do I understand that correctly?

No.

That was just the number of injured.

Surprising given the seatbelt crack-down after that bus went off the ravine in Khao Yai last year.

Or was it the one that went off the ravine in Chiang Rai... or Nan....

• Like 1

No doubt that the delicate ego of the little 'man' involved had to rise to the challenge he felt from the other male in the other truck. This has to be sedated, he cannot turn down a challenge, he cannot lose, he has to rise up and beat his challenger, even though the challenge may only exist in his own head. Victory and proof of his manhood at all cost. He is the victor, he is the big man, and the other 'man' has to be shown this.

This comes before anything, safety of others? Why that is just an inconvenience to oneself, a disadvantage to one's needs, give in to this? Disadvantage yourself for the safety of those in your duty of care? That would be simply stupid. Duty of care? No such thing, they are just pieces of money being given to you for your time.

Edited by Deacon Bell

Happens everywhere.

Don't think so, go home.

You're hopeless

Just a guess, but by looking, ..... thoughtful , realistic posts are not his concern, just running up his post count seems most important.  Some people just have no friends and need a forum to make themselves feel important. 

Poster get real and do some research and study before making wacko posts that fly right in the face of what you are attempting to convey.  As an earlier post implies, Thailand has the second highest highway death toll in the world... So please don't say things like racing school buses happens everywhere....  Makes you look bad.

• Like 1

Horrific,  Just to think how sick most of these mega accident drivers are,  FLED the scene, This guy should be whipped and every stroke made to scream "I should not have fled the scene"

These are the mega incidents---NOT accidents.   One poster says ---This happens everywhere"------2nd highest in the world for accident deaths---Maybe 1st as the total recorded are only dead at the scene.   So in this case 1 died at the scene and any others are not counted.   Amazing---just think how many would be the count in Thailand if the AFTER deaths were included---not forgetting 80% are motor cyclists.  counted dead at the scene.
  • Like 1

Thailand and Thais do get Westerners all angry....

According to the world accident/incident death figures Big % of Thais do not seem to care if you end up in hospital or not.  If they were serious about their driving habits/skills there would not be this carnage.

I am always tempted to look up the 7 dangerous days deaths on the road,   new year and April Water carnage.  these figures are lower than the normal daily death toll. So my estimation is that we are told NOT the true overall total---that would put the shudders up the tourist industry.

• Like 1

The story is now unfolding as another 'Hi-So' cover-up.  The van driver is actually believed to have been a woman, who is the daughter of the owner of the song thaews around here.  She is also known for her bad driving as reported by other ST drivers.  She was the one who fled the scene, then organized for this man to take the fall (perhaps knowing he had a drug problem) he does not drive this route

The man arrested

10491172_1461485157435585_55933795100233

The story is now unfolding as another 'Hi-So' cover-up.  The van driver is actually believed to have been a woman, who is the daughter of the owner of the song thaews around here.  She is also known for her bad driving as reported by other ST drivers.  She was the one who fled the scene, then organized for this man to take the fall (perhaps knowing he had a drug problem) he does not drive this route

The man arrested

10491172_1461485157435585_55933795100233

If you have inside information regarding this, kindly let the press know all about it!

Once again it's been proved life is cheap here, and there is little or no safety regulations, as sweet as Thai people are, they just become devils once behind a wheel of any vehicle..., they drive with no care on the roads and at high speeds in any conditions.

So so sad for anyone to loose there life through plain stupidity and ignorance.

R.I.P. To the young boy, taken far,too early in life.

Be careful out there it's mayhem....

There is no stereotyping. It is backed by scientific statistics. Thai drivers are terrible and among the worst in the world. They lack the fundamentals of safe driving. I worked in Transportation safety for 34 years before retiring here. I am appalled at the lack of basic good manners in driving here. There is no guessing what other drivers may do here. Drive wrong way, pass in curve. Drive too fast, drive too slow, park in road with driveway next to them, back along tollway, drive on shoulder, tu tuks, sidecars, bicycles, scooters, Water Buffalo and dogs all occupying the same space. Running away from a major accident seems to be quite frequently done. Thais get behind the wheel and no longer have responsibility and compassion toward others.
At first I would get angry but I soon realized the offending drivers had no idea why I was mad at them. They lacked the fundamental knowledge to even understand when they had done something unsafe or rude.The lack of anticipation by other drivers is amazing. It is as if they can't see something in their view it does not exist.
The roads are well designed for the most part and there is every opportunity for improving fatality statistics with training, education and enforcement.
  • Like 2

The roads are well designed for the most part

I like the speed bumps that aren't marked or signed.

Like they've taken the Western concept of the speed bump, then done away with the concept of highlighting it so people know it is there and slow down. The purpose isn't actually to cause damage to vehicles and increase the chances of accidents. rolleyes.gif

That's a strange question coming from someone whom I assume lives here.  Given the opportunity, or need, Thais can do wonders with a vehicle and a load.

Therefore the simple task of fitting 21 kids in a songtaew is easily solved.

[attachment=278016:2T1.jpg][attachment=278017:2T2.jpg][attachment=278018:2T3.jpg][attachment=278015:overload.jpg]

• Like 2