Fake 1,000 Baht banknotes spread to eastern Thailand

webfact

Fake 1,000 Baht Banknotes Spread To Eastern Thailand
By Khaosod English

14071590191407159228l.jpg
A vendor in Sri Phalothai Market, Chonburi province, points to fake 1,000 baht bills, 3 August 2014.

CHONBURI - Fake 1,000 baht bills have been spotted in Chonburi, eastern Thailand, a week after similar counterfeit banknotes surfaced in the southern province of Trang.

Vendors at Chonburi province's Sri Phalothai Market told police yesterday that they have been duped into receiving the fake 1,000 baht banknotes, which are the highest-value bill in Thai currency, over the weekend.

One of them, Somsak Angkhanavin, a 62-year-old butcher, said a group of "5-6" patrons bought several kilograms of his pork at the stall on Sunday, each paying him with a 1,000 baht note. Mr. Somsak said he was about to refuse the notes because he heard about the news about fake notes in Trang province, but decided to accept them anyway "out of respect."

The vendor said he later realised the notes were fake.

On the same day, Pilawat Srithai, a 22-year-old chicken vendor, reported to the police that he found a bag full of fake 1,000 baht bills underneath a tree next to the market. Mr. Pilawat claimed he found the bag on his way to toilet, and discovered fake-looking banknotes in the bag when he opened it.

Police confirmed that all 70 banknotes found in the bag are counterfeit. All of the banknotes bear the serial number 2D7874400, according to the police.

The fake banknotes first struck Trang province in late July. The fact that the counterfeit notes are also found in Chonburi - more than 900 km away - raises concerns among many shop owners and vendors that many more banknotes might be in circulation at the moment.

In an effort to contain the counterfeit banknotes, Bank of Thailand today dispatched officials to teach vendors in markets across Trang province how to spot a fake 1,000 baht bill.

"There are three easy ways to spot them," said Sawitri Kaewdaeng, a senior official of the Bank of Thailand's office in Trang province, "Touch, hold them up against the light, and slant them."

Many vendors also asked the bank officials to verify their banknotes, fearing that they might have been victims of the scam. One vendor showed up with a fake banknote, Ms. Sawitri said, adding that the counterfeit item has been sent to the police for further investigation.

Ms. Sawitri did not identify the serial number found on the fake banknote, but Trang police previously warned the public to look for 1,000 baht bills with serial number 9A3828862.

Those convicted of counterfeiting money can face up to 20 years in prison and a fine of 40,000 baht. Those who deliberately use counterfeit banknotes are also subject to up to 15 years in jail.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1407159019&typecate=06&section=

[khaosod]2014-08-05[/khaosod]

• Like 1

Mr. Somsak said he was about to refuse the notes because he heard about the news about fake notes in Trang province, but decided to accept them anyway "out of respect."

Strange to make statements like this, but we hear them often.

It must be a face recovery thing in an attempt to say he was not completely taken unaware... but it really comes off as looking a little silly as it reads to me like 'I was suspicious they money was fake but decided to trust them anyhow'......

Next, the driver who didn't run away will be saying, 'I nearly gave way but decided to pull out in front of him when it was too late'.......

• Like 1

"Those who deliberately use counterfeit banknotes are also subject to up to 15 years in jail."
How can someone prove that is not deliberately ?

I'm guessing this will be a charge against those who receive the counterfeits after their production in order to bleed them into circulation. Similar to a charge of receiving stolen goods.

But yes, what happens if you are unaware the mores you use are fake? Keep all your ATM receipts?

"Those who deliberately use counterfeit banknotes are also subject to up to 15 years in jail."

They have to prove, that you are guilty, not the other way around.

• Like 1

he was about to refuse the notes because he heard about the news about fake notes in Trang province, but decided to accept them anyway "out of respect."

The vendor said he later realised the notes were fake.

What an idiot. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Thinking about it I just realised that in my 12 years here I could only have ever received every 1000 baht note from either a bank, ATM or repayment of loan to a mate. There are just no other circumstances where I could end up with a fake note. At least none that I can think of. I'm sure most farrangs are the same.

Wait a minute. I sold a car once and sold some cows and buffalo and fish many years ago but nothing else. 

I'm guessing this will be a charge against those who receive the counterfeits after their production in order to bleed them into circulation. Similar to a charge of receiving stolen goods.

But yes, what happens if you are unaware the mores you use are fake? Keep all your ATM receipts?

"Keep all your ATM receipts?"           How would that help anyone?  The receipts I get don't have banknote numbers on them, do yours?

• Like 1

"There are three easy ways to spot them," said Sawitri Kaewdaeng,  "Touch, hold them up against the light, and slant them."

You have got to be joking...and then what do we look for?  More quality reporting by quality journalists.

• Like 1

"...out of respect." clap2.gif cheesy.gif

WTF? Who would lose face first dont you mean? My wife sometimes says I cant do things because of losing face and my reply to her is...... I dont give a shit darling, Im not Thai and I hever lose my face cause who gives a flying f^%k? Not me honey bunny. Love you joop joop.
  • Like 1

hahahaha hahaha ha you know this is Thailand right ? 

• Like 1

hahahaha hahaha ha you know this is Thailand right ? 

But officer, I'm older than him ..... he should have respected my wish to deliberately give him a fake note

Is there a post with a full description of how to spot the fakes?

No but the article suggests holding it up to the light, which means look for the watermark. Watermarks are difficult, although not impossible, to make.

The second way would be to check the foil strip running up the side of the bill. They are supposed to be stamped with holograms that change color ever so slightly when viewed from different angles. Although looking at the hundreds in my wallet now, I have a hard time seeing this.

Perhaps the best way is to carry a small black light and check for the security strip, which will fluoresce when exposed to black light. You can see the BTS change vendors doing this when you give them a 500 or 1000 baht bill.  I can't find an image online but here's what it looks like on a USD $20 bill:

Counterfeit_Currency_9.jpg

More from the BOT.

I was thinking that the only 1000 notes I get are from the ATM, but then I realised that every year I get a refund of the deposit that I pay to my GH. This year, I got 5 x 1000 notes. Never mind, I will give them back to them in the next deposit.

Any 1000baht note I have or get, comes from the ATM machine.

I would assume they are all real, would think the bank has a scanning system of sorts, before loading up the ATM's

I think for the time being personally I will choose counter service inside the bank and get them to verify before they give them to meph34r.png

Mr. Somsak said he was about to refuse the notes because he heard about the news about fake notes in Trang province, but decided to accept them anyway "out of respect."

Strange to make statements like this, but we hear them often.

It must be a face recovery thing in an attempt to say he was not completely taken unaware... but it really comes off as looking a little silly as it reads to me like 'I was suspicious they money was fake but decided to trust them anyhow'......

Next, the driver who didn't run away will be saying, 'I nearly gave way but decided to pull out in front of him when it was too late'.......

"It must be a face recovery thing in an attempt to say he was not completely taken unaware... but it really comes off as looking a little silly as it reads to me like 'I was suspicious they money was fake but decided to trust them anyhow'......"

Sort of like when someone is arrested in Farangville and all the neighbors suddenly claim they always thought the guys was a little suspicious.

If he was a Thai Visa poster he'd now claim; "It's not the money. It's principle/"

For expansion of 'Feel Look Tilt' to check if note is real go to this link

http://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/production_and_security/Pages/identify.aspx

@ ThaidDown.  PERFECT!  Thank You!

Perhaps if just once...the press and even TV published the SOLUTION (as you have) and stopped bitching about the problem ... it would go SO much more easily!

Well done.  Good on ya' .... much appreciated !!

Edited by Guest

Any 1000baht note I have or get, comes from the ATM machine.

I would assume they are all real, would think the bank has a scanning system of sorts, before loading up the ATM's

Excellent idea.  And that is the only way I would accept 1000 baht notes. 

I would not even trust a money changer booth....nothing.

ATM is the way to go...or bank.   Much better ATM, I would think