Forum upgrade in progress! ×

With a Thai Elite visa can a person work legally as a digital Nomad ?

Yeah and one could easily deduce that you have a hard on for me since you traipse around the forum after me every chance you get. Well, I'm sorry, mate . . . I ain't a pillow-biter

I'm no digital nomad either but even if I was, do you really think I'd admit it to the likes of you? Pfft . . .

You roll out the math behind the TE card like a tired old parrot but fail to take the fact that one has to make a 5 year commitment to country that, politically, can't even see 5 DAYS ahead into consideration.

Tell me, when Hua Hin immigration said all foreigners MUST carry original passports, were you one of those who said "No Way"?

lets face facts shall we, these self professed "independently wealthy" digital nomads I keep reading about on TV cant be that independently wealthy if they cant spring for a 5 year, 500k visa, they keep bleating on how they want to contribute to Thailand, build a life, they pay their taxes (VAT) and increase the wealth in the country, but yet will not commit to 5 years here ?

Why would I pay 500k for a 5 year visa when I can pay 20k a year for an Ed Visa? 1/5th of the price and I don't have to commit to 5 years in a politically unstable country.

Yeah and one could easily deduce that you have a hard on for me since you traipse around the forum after me every chance you get. Well, I'm sorry, mate . . . I ain't a pillow-biter

I'm no digital nomad either but even if I was, do you really think I'd admit it to the likes of you? Pfft . . .

You roll out the math behind the TE card like a tired old parrot but fail to take the fact that one has to make a 5 year commitment to country that, politically, can't even see 5 DAYS ahead into consideration.

Tell me, when Hua Hin immigration said all foreigners MUST carry original passports, were you one of those who said "No Way"?

lets face facts shall we, these self professed "independently wealthy" digital nomads I keep reading about on TV cant be that independently wealthy if they cant spring for a 5 year, 500k visa, they keep bleating on how they want to contribute to Thailand, build a life, they pay their taxes (VAT) and increase the wealth in the country, but yet will not commit to 5 years here ?

Why would I pay 500k for a 5 year visa when I can pay 20k a year for an Ed Visa? 1/5th of the price and I don't have to commit to 5 years in a politically unstable country.

fair point....but the discussion is about digital nomads, so unless your on an ed visa and working on line illegally, your little off topic wink.png

Those very rich Digital Nomads that makes a few hundred thoused baht every month. They always stay in a small cheap room, often without aircon. And eat noodle soup 3 times a day in the street corner........

Good point, the ones who say they bring a lot to the country, but don't want to pay tax, get a proper visa or anything else.

My dear boy, if your not a digital nomad, how do you know they can drink all day and night then ? or do you sponge drinks off them ?... "English teacher" then ?

as regards my maths on the TE card, please indicate where my numbers are incorrect ? Digital nomads keep bleating on "there is no visa for them to stay long term in Thailand" but yet a TE card is a long term visa....its 5 years of visa, thats long term, so it seems a 5 year commitment shouldnt be problem then, the digital nomads have got what they want a long term visa option, pay 500k stay 5 years no problem,

as to your opening line, they way you go on about old men all the time in your posts, one has to conclude you have a "thing" for old men, you are fixated on them, so you may not be the pillow biter end of the arrangement, but it does seem you do have a "thing" for them, but hey everyone to their own, I guess, or is it case you have "daddy issues" ?

Re the passport thing, I never commented, as I had a feeling the rule was misinterpreted by someone and clarification was going to come out and state this is incorrect, which was exactly what I suspected would happen.

He seems like a very happy fellow.......not, run out of money? 5555555

you correct he could all bitter and twisted because, he has run out of money, or in a dead end job in Thailand with no hope of crawling out of

• Like 1

A common retiree from my home country get at least 65% of their salary in pension when they stop working. So even if you had the worst low paid job you can drink all day and night here if you like that. Making burgers at McDonalds will still give you around 75k baht in pension. And a normal job a lot more than that

So??!! Is every retiree in Thailand from YOUR country?

You think defined benefit pensions are commonplace these days?

Many retirees in Thailand aren't even pensioners. I know two over 50 year olds who are touting for SEO and web development work right NOW.

A guy working in mcdonald in South America should work 100 hours per day to get that kind of pension.

And well for a Thai maybe 110 hours and for Indians 160 hours per day and notice that retiree is after 60 and in some places 65 so really I dont understand how a normal farang may find attractive to work illegal in Thailand. Immigration should focus in poor countries around Asia and the government in checking business.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My dear boy, if your not a digital nomad, how do you know they can drink all day and night then ? or do you sponge drinks off them ?... "English teacher" then ?

as regards my maths on the TE card, please indicate where my numbers are incorrect ? Digital nomads keep bleating on "there is no visa for them to stay long term in Thailand" but yet a TE card is a long term visa....its 5 years of visa, thats long term, so it seems a 5 year commitment shouldnt be problem then, the digital nomads have got what they want a long term visa option, pay 500k stay 5 years no problem,

as to your opening line, they way you go on about old men all the time in your posts, one has to conclude you have a "thing" for old men, you are fixated on them, so you may not be the pillow biter end of the arrangement, but it does seem you do have a "thing" for them, but hey everyone to their own, I guess, or is it case you have "daddy issues" ?

How do I know they drink all day and night? Lemme see . . . erm . . .because I know many of them.

I suppose in your narrow view of the world, anyone under 50 and in Thailand, is either an online worker or a school teacher. Talk about blinkers

It's nothing to do with being independently wealthy enough to afford a TE card and everything to do with not being stupid enough to pay upfront when you can just apply for a ED visa for a fifth of the price.

You and rest of your cheerleaders appear to be hung up on the LEGALITY of doing it that way and try to use it to beat people over the head with.

Not everyone who works online is "wealthy" - you've cherry-picked comments from the more vocal onliners and used them to tar others with the same brush.

As for the old men thing, I have no issue with them but on the topics in which I've clashed with them, it's come down to a dislike of the smug, self righteous and often hypocritical attitudes SOME of them display just because they have visas based on retirement and the opposition they seem to have to younger people living here.

I'm not a young man - I'm mid 40s - but even if I'm here come 50+ and on a retirement visa, I most certainly won't hold something as unremarkable as exiting the womb 50 years ago and qualifying for a visa up as an achievement and crow as younger people have to jump through hoops.

• Like 1

I suppose in your narrow view of the world, anyone under 50 and in Thailand, is either an online worker or a school teacher. Talk about blinkers

Not all dear boy, I am under 50 and work O&G in Thailand, but one supposes there are large numbers on TV are either online worker or schools teachers based on the responses.

It's nothing to do with being independently wealthy enough to afford a TE card and everything to do with not being stupid enough to pay upfront when you can just apply for a ED visa for a fifth of the price.

Until they crackdown on the Ed visa's of course...whistling.gif

You and rest of your cheerleaders appear to be hung up on the LEGALITY of doing it that way and try to use it to beat people over the head with.

I am sure Charles Manson used this line in his trial...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I love these Thailand Elite threads.

Those guys who pop up with yet another thread about the card, post even more comments about the program, some even changing to new identities, ... must really have a hard time living without it (I mean without the card)...

This said, I wonder who would be interested to know what a digital nomad is doing on his computer.

He could be investing on the stock market all day long, create apps or whatever, and be making lots of money paid to him abroad, ... nobody would care.

As long as the digital nomad does not say that he works everyday from his computer or advertise anything, I wonder why anyone would be interested in his activities...

But of course, strictly speaking, it would break the immigration laws... be it with a Thailand Elite PE visa, an ED visa, or any type of visa when working without a work permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by gerry1011

fair point....but the discussion is about digital nomads, so unless your on an ed visa and working on line illegally, your little off topic wink.png

Thai Elite visa doesn't give you the right to work either. You would have to apply for a separate work permit.

Those very rich Digital Nomads that makes a few hundred thoused baht every month. They always stay in a small cheap room, often without aircon. And eat noodle soup 3 times a day in the street corner........

Good point, the ones who say they bring a lot to the country, but don't want to pay tax, get a proper visa or anything else.

Wow excellent point!

The entire point of this thread is that there is no proper visa that digital workers can apply for, genius.

Wow excellent point!

The entire point of this thread is that there is no proper visa that digital workers can apply for, genius.

yes there is, its called a Non-imm B and a work permit....thumbsup.gif

therefore there is a proper visa and process for people who wish to work in Thailand

genius

• Like 1

Wow excellent point!

therefore there is a proper visa and process for people who wish to work in Thailand

genius

A non-immm B requires you to be working for a company that is registered in Thailand. Working online digitally does not meet that criteria.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1

If I was a digital worker and couldn't find a visa option that allowed me to work online legitimately without hiring 4 locals to scratch my arse and owning just 49% of a company I started with 100% of the capital, I wouldn't give a moment's thought to the legality of working without permission.

• Like 1

Wow excellent point!

genius

I see Mr Soutpeel is posting his usual tripe.

A work permit is not available to someone who freelances or is self-employed. Most "IT Nomads" fit into one of these categories.

The Elite Card is not the solution. It's just a glorified tourist visa.

The only solution is to set up a company and employee Thais. The minimum ratio of Thai employees to farang employees is 4:1.

I own two companies in Thailand. They are both easy to manage. With the help of a good lawyer and a creative account, a number of legal possibilities can be explored.

• Like 2

I have a Thailand Elite Card and a work permit linked to my Thailand Elite Visa.

This allows me to travel as frequently as I want and to work legally in Thailand.

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I thought that work permits were tied to the employer, who must have a physical presence in Thailand and supply a mountain of paperwork, financial statements, etc. in order to justify your work permit. If correct, then I don't see how anyone could ever get a work permit in Thailand to work for an overseas employer.

You are correct. In my case, I work for a Thai company of which I am MD. Any accountant can set this up.

A work permit is not available to someone who freelances or is self-employed. Most "IT Nomads" fit into one of these categories.

The only solution is to set up a company and employee Thais. The minimum ratio of Thai employees to farang employees is 4:1.

I own two companies in Thailand. They are both easy to manage. With the help of a good lawyer and a creative account, a number of legal possibilities can be explored.

Tripe or not dear boy, its the truth is it not ?

Fact is these days very difficult in most western countries to be a free lancer/self-employed unless your utilising a ltd company type structure due to tax reasons, so in most cases these people are not freelancers or self employed per se, they are "employed" by a company they own

and the other fact is dear boy.... the on liners can throw as many hissy fits as they like on TV, they will not be getting a "special visa" will they ?

BTW your ratio is not quite true, if your married to a Thai national the number is halved to 2 and the cap on the company is THB 1.0m, so please give the full information

but you own two companies you knew that didnt you ?

the whole debate is moot anyway, as much as people whinge and stamp their little feet and throw their toys out the cot, and say its just not fair, Digital nomads, on liners, independently wealthy, free lancers or what ever title they give themselves will not be getting a "special" visa to live and work in Thailand long term, so suck it up ladies

You seem pretty convinced that you are a special snowflake who the military government will make an exception for. All farangs are in the firing line, good sir, including you. So I wouldn't get too smug.

Tripe or not dear boy, its the truth is it not ?

No, it's not the truth. Hardly anything you have typed in this thread is true, you have no idea what you are on about.

the whole debate is moot anyway, as much as people whinge and stamp their little feet and throw their toys out the cot, and say its just not fair, Digital nomads, on liners, independently wealthy, free lancers or what ever title they give themselves will not be getting a "special" visa to live and work in Thailand long term, so suck it up ladies

You seem pretty convinced that you are a special snowflake who the military government will make an exception for. All farangs are in the firing line, good sir, including you. So I wouldn't get too smug.

not at all dear boy, I am a realist thats all, and if the Thai goverment/junta went after all the long term farangs and hoofed them all out tomorrow, i would thanks very much for the 14 years, pack up my belongings, me and the Mrs would go the airport, get on a plane and i would go home, few months holiday, buy a house and car and start the next job somewhere and come back to Thailand for holidays so my Mrs can see her relatives..

Thailand currently suits my purposes, if it all becomes too hard living here for what ever the reason, I will leave and work somewhere else, as I typically dont have problem finding decent paying jobs and can just about pick and choose where I want to work and or live in the world

• Like 2

I think the majority of people that buy the elite card would be digital nomads, Can you work on it..of course...can you work legally.. NO. Many people will buy it and work for companies overseas, By the law if you are here on holidays and respond to a work email then you are working here illegally!

"if you respond to a work email...."? Okay now you are just adding to the already growing fear that seems to be percolating throughout the Expat community or those that are just wanting to be a 'tourist'. For like everywhere else that requires you to have a 'WK' in order to be able to work within their boundaries, it depends upon the 'noise you make' and the level of publicly announced profit you are drawing that will make or break the issue with the local authorities.

No one is going to be able to say that when they answer an email about their rental property back in their home country, respond to a question from their stock broker, or reply to a question regarding an issue that has cropped up from very company that you are on vacation from and that needs your input to solve is... working while in Thailand.

So let us be clear, though on the face of it and/or if one follows exactly what the law states (as it is written)... making a good deal of noise about it and suddenly you start putting vast amounts into a Thai bank, then sure... one will 'wake' someone up. But that is normally not going to be the case. For we all have to deal with the realities that exists back 'home' from time to time and maybe even on a daily basis. But that does not mean that one is working in Thailand.

So to those "Digital Nomads" out there... go ahead. Just do not make any noise, announce your good fortune, shout it from the roof tops, or put any bill boards telling the World, and you will be fine. As I used to be told in the Army... "Never volunteer".

I think the majority of people that buy the elite card would be digital nomads, Can you work on it..of course...can you work legally.. NO. Many people will buy it and work for companies overseas, By the law if you are here on holidays and respond to a work email then you are working here illegally!

"if you respond to a work email...."? Okay, now you are just adding to the already growing fear that seems to be percolating throughout the Expat community or those that are just wanting to be a 'tourist'. For like everywhere else that requires you to have a 'WK' in order to be able to work within their boundaries, it depends upon the 'noise you make' and the level of publicly announced profit you are drawing that will make or break the issue with the local authorities.

No one is going to be able to say that when they answer an email about their rental property back in their home country, respond to a question from their stock broker, or reply to a question regarding an issue that has cropped up from very company that you are on vacation from and that needs your input to solve is... working while in Thailand.

So let us be clear, though on the face of it and/or if one follows exactly what the law states (as it is written)... making a good deal of noise about it and suddenly you start putting vast amounts into a Thai bank, then sure... one will 'wake' someone up. But that is normally not going to be the case. For we all have to deal with the realities that exists back 'home' from time to time and maybe even on a daily basis. But that does not mean that one is working in Thailand.

So to those "Digital Nomads" out there... go ahead. Just do not make any noise, announce your good fortune, shout it from the roof tops, or put any bill boards telling the World, and you will be fine. As I used to be told in the Army... "Never volunteer".

These are urban myth idiotic comments which are perpetuated by the p*ss takers and all have been rebutted on this forum repeatedly.

There is a big difference between someone on a vacation, or here for conference/business purposes, answering emails or skyping a meeting and someone pretending to be on vacation working here yearlong.

Before worrying about updating and clarifying the law, how about googling "common sense"?

'nuff said

~

I know what you're trying to say, but there is definitely a grey area.

What is someone is running a million dollar business but they have a general manager, sales staff, support staff, etc.

But they just keep making millions while having a 1/2 hour conference call with their manager (who is running everything) every Sunday afternoon.

They'd still technically be running a company, but going by your standards they'd be okay as they're not putting in the grunt work.

It's not really urban myths perpetuated by p1ss takers now that we're living in the 21st century.

I have a Thailand Elite Card and a work permit linked to my Thailand Elite Visa.

This allows me to travel as frequently as I want and to work legally in Thailand.

you really have a Elite Card? 1. there is no Thailand Elite Visa, 2.. if you really have a WP you dont need any Elite Card,

you can travel how often you want, only thing ist to have reentry permit,

many times I asked the big guys who claimed to have a elite Card (5 times more peopel claim to have one than been sold in Thailand the last 5 years) come on and post a picture of your visa, you can blacklist your personal data, but come on all your elite Card members, show that you are not talking bullshit

you really have a Elite Card? 1. there is no Thailand Elite Visa, 2.. if you really have a WP you dont need any Elite Card,

you can travel how often you want, only thing ist to have reentry permit,

many times I asked the big guys who claimed to have a elite Card (5 times more peopel claim to have one than been sold in Thailand the last 5 years) come on and post a picture of your visa, you can blacklist your personal data, but come on all your elite Card members, show that you are not talking bullshit

What are you talking about? You do get a Thailand Elite Visa. And people have posted pictures of them. Quite a few people have purchased them on here.

• Like 1

finy sez:

"I know what you're trying to say, but there is definitely a grey area.

What is someone is running a million dollar business but they have a general manager, sales staff, support staff, etc.

But they just keep making millions while having a 1/2 hour conference call with their manager (who is running everything) every Sunday afternoon.

They'd still technically be running a company, but going by your standards they'd be okay as they're not putting in the grunt work."

No gray area. It's not my standards but the standards of Thai Immigration who have been quoted here and other places as saying there is no problem with tourists using email or contacting their workplace while on holiday in Thailand.

They are running their company but they leave in a couple weeks. They are plainly here as a tourist and any Imm. Officer can see this by looking in a passport. No million dollar business mogul is doing visa runs and sporting a passport full of back-to-back tourist visas.

But it's not up to me or you to define "what is a tourist".

Like 99% of countries, it is left up to the training, experience, and common sense of the investigating officer to determine the true motive of the applicant and whether or not they qualify as a tourist.

'nuff said

~

If you want I can also show you the very first membership card that was in solid gold (something you probably can't imagine ever existed anywhere in our galaxy).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2