With a Thai Elite visa can a person work legally as a digital Nomad ?

No WP available under the visa/labour rules of that country? Then that's life - you need to move on and find a country where you don't break the visa/WP regulations

How many those online workers have been arrested in Thailand? I have not found even one news article. It is always some dude working in a Thai office for Thais. People have asked Thai immigration and have told openly about their online work and their overseas income at border immigration control, no problems in either case.

Immigration is basically being lazy. Note that it doesn't have to be the Immigration police that can bust you, regular BiB, invited by your friendly neighbor/ex-gf/pissed off landlord/etc will do the trick just the same. And there's no telling when there will be a crackdown. It's easy enough to cross reference internet usage statistics of those who have a permanent address and are using the same ISP every day to access IP numbers known to belong to f.ex. OpenDesk. Having a secured VPN on all the time would also be enough to warrant a visit from your parole .. erhm ... immigration officer. It's not sci-fi.

As is in any case of being involved in illegal activities, be ready to move on a short notice. Working under the radar as an illegal "digital nomad" by default means you're forced to be a nomad. If a lifestyle on the run suits you and you've got no moral issues, well, up to you.

For god sake anyone on a Thailand Elite Card card can work from home as a digital nomad. The TEC gives a 5 year visa and every stamp is one year per entry. Thais perfectly understand that 1 year visa holders need to make some money to enjoy Thailand as we don't have the pleasure of retiring on some kind of pensions and to make sure we are loaded once we retire.

Not that I care, but the TE T&Cs say employment is prohibited, just like the declaration you sign on TR visa applications. They both say 'employment' without explicitly saying if they include online work paid offshore in that definition.

I don't believe they do, but all we have to go on is anecdotal reports from people asking immigration and being told 'no problem for you' (half a dozen posts on TV), and comments from Thai officials on radio shows and interview (2 separate instances, 2 threads on TV about them). I understand why Thailand would deliberately leave the question unanswered.

Anyway they're both equal. I would consider working online, offshore on a TR / Ed visa as zero risk, and doing so on TEC also zero risk. The only issue with the former is staying here long term, i.e. convincing IOs to let you in at border, and consulates to keep issuing you visas. But have flights booked, 20k in cash, present yourself well, and worst comes to worst get a fresh passport, and it's not that difficult. I see no risk of getting caught and prosecuted for working online and being paid offshore. And even then what would be the penalty, tea money?

Immigration is basically being lazy. Note that it doesn't have to be the Immigration police that can bust you, regular BiB, invited by your friendly neighbor/ex-gf/pissed off landlord/etc will do the trick just the same. And there's no telling when there will be a crackdown. It's easy enough to cross reference internet usage statistics of those who have a permanent address and are using the same ISP every day to access IP numbers known to belong to f.ex. OpenDesk. Having a secured VPN on all the time would also be enough to warrant a visit from your parole .. erhm ... immigration officer. It's not sci-fi.

As is in any case of being involved in illegal activities, be ready to move on a short notice. Working under the radar as an illegal "digital nomad" by default means you're forced to be a nomad. If a lifestyle on the run suits you and you've got no moral issues, well, up to you.

Yeah sorry but I think this is ludicrous. If the BiB are too lazy to arrest cocaine mules on soi 3 I doubt they're going to knock on my door, open my laptop and recognise forex trading software. And as for calling it, 'illegal digital nomad', claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence (Occam's razor). Please link the relevant Thai law if you're deciding it's illegal. You won't find one. The closest you'll get is a Phuket official being interviewed and vaguely saying online businesses are illegal, poster LivinLOS likes to keep linking it. Seems clear to me though he meant online businesses with a presence in Thailand, not offshore.

Day to day I see people openly talk about working online, write about it on forums, there are even facebook groups discussing it, everyone with their name and photo beside their posts. Being 'under the radar' is not necessary. They're not forced to be nomads, it's not explicitly illegal, and there are no set limits on consecutive TR / Ed visas yet.

Edited by jspill

this is a dangerous thread as any visa which is not a work permit may have people looking to work so to label the te card with this is wrong

i am sure people on retirement visas marriage education visas may look to ask the same question

my understanding is the te card centre can help people obtain a work permit as they will not be allowed to use to te card and will need to apply for a work permit so why so many pages

Day to day I see people openly talk about working online, write about it on forums, there are even facebook groups discussing it, everyone with their name and photo beside their posts. Being 'under the radar' is not necessary. They're not forced to be nomads, it's not explicitly illegal, and there are no set limits on consecutive TR / Ed visas yet.

I've already mentioned elsewhere, those who wish to test if it is illegal or not, go with your laptop to the nearest immigration office and work right under the nose of the immigration officer. If that doesn't do it, go to labor department. If they don't care, march to revenue office. When I see a youtube video of some one doing all three without a glitch, I'll become a believer. Until then, I see it as work as per the Alien Working Act: http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/Alien-Working-Act.html

No WP available under the visa/labour rules of that country? Then that's life - you need to move on and find a country where you don't break the visa/WP regulations

How many those online workers have been arrested in Thailand? I have not found even one news article. It is always some dude working in a Thai office for Thais. People have asked Thai immigration and have told openly about their online work and their overseas income at border immigration control, no problems in either case.

What a joke this is, really? You think they are going to do full scale investigation and requesting of internet logs to throw out someone who is again, NOT REALLY WORKING IN THAILAND and not taking a Thai job in anyway, and causing no harm. You have to be kidding me or do you just hate everyone who works online? Seem like way too much work for no net benefit to the country.

• Like 1

You have to be kidding me or do you just hate everyone who works online?

Yesyesyes of course I hate all onliners. There can't be any other viable explanation for stating what might very well happen if Thais get fed up with a group of farangs, can there ? Must be a personal vendetta for sure. D'oh ....

• Like 1

I've already mentioned elsewhere, those who wish to test if it is illegal or not, go with your laptop to the nearest immigration office and work right under the nose of the immigration officer. If that doesn't do it, go to labor department. If they don't care, march to revenue office. When I see a youtube video of some one doing all three without a glitch, I'll become a believer. Until then, I see it as work as per the Alien Working Act: http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/Alien-Working-Act.html

Notice how that link:

- talks about imposing fines on employers of aliens (digital nomads are self-employed)

- mentions the 'Alien Out-of-Kingdom Repatriation Fund' (digital nomads aren't paid inside Thailand)

- say an alien should keep a WP 'on his person or at his place of employment during working hours' (evidence work is defined as having a presence IN the country, not online)

- and makes allowances for 'urgent work' (like something 'involving physical strength')

Edited by jspill

Notice how that link:

- talks about imposing fines on employers of aliens (digital nomads are self-employed)

- mentions the 'Alien Out-of-Kingdom Repatriation Fund' (digital nomads aren't paid inside Thailand)

- say an alien should keep a WP 'on his person or at his place of employment during working hours' (evidence work is defined as having a presence IN the country, not online)

- and makes allowances for 'urgent work' (like something 'involving physical strength')

The law most likely originates from an age when working online was practically impossible. It hasn't been updated to include telecommuting jobs, etc. Hence, it's an umbrella. If they do update it, I very much doubt they'll give amnesty to people sitting inside Thailand and working through the internet. Likely to be the exact opposite.

What I'd like to see is dropping the 4 Thais rule from the WP requirements. Then it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate and get a WP, pay taxes and have a straight road to PR/citizenship. No need to change the Alien Working Act at all, it's likely a ministerial regulation concerning the Ministry of Labor that needs to be changed. But I won't hold my breath there, either.

Edited by DrTuner

stating what might very well happen if Thais get fed up with a group of farangs

A 2000 baht fine and being asked to leave the Kingdom within 30 days, in the near-zero likelihood that the BiB lump in offshore online work into the Alien Working act, and actively crackdown on it by IP tracing, cross-referencing with the immigration database and visiting homes to search laptops. Ok then.

• Like 1

stating what might very well happen if Thais get fed up with a group of farangs

A 2000 baht fine and being asked to leave the Kingdom within 30 days, in the near-zero likelihood that the BiB lump in offshore online work into the Alien Working act, and actively crackdown on it by IP tracing, cross-referencing with the immigration database and visiting homes to search laptops. Ok then.

Yeah. No idea if you'd be blacklisted as well. Or have some other mark in you record making future visa applications more difficult.

Don't forget the tax implications.

The law most likely originates from an age when working online was practically impossible.

Amended in 2008

I should be able to remember what that change was .. but can't. I think it was some minor adjustment. It's hard tracing down the original acts, but most I've found (namely the Immigration Act) seem to be from the 50-70's period.

There is a relatively large community of on line workers in Thailand and they're not difficult to find if it was illegal then the co-working spaces would surly attract attention there are at least 3 in BKK and a few in Chiangmai. When I got my last visa I was asked how I supported myself I told them I work on line and showed them statements confirming I was paid into my UK account, they were happy with this and gave me a visa. I've got no interest in being "under the radar" as far as I can see the only people who have an issue with the legality of on line work are other westerners posting on here and their opinions really don't matter.

• Like 2

Are you onliners paying your taxes to Thailand then ? Where I come from, it's mandated by the law that I must change my domicile if I stay out of the country for more than 6 months. Same as the 180 days Thailand uses as the mark for tax residency. According to the rules I would then be liable for tax to Thailand and only to Thailand. I suspect it's the same for most of the double taxation agreements.

Are you onliners paying your taxes to Thailand then ? Where I come from, it's mandated by the law that I must change my domicile if I stay out of the country for more than 6 months. Same as the 180 days Thailand uses as the mark for tax residency. According to the rules I would then be liable for tax to Thailand and only to Thailand. I suspect it's the same for most of the double taxation agreements.

I pay CGT and NI in the UK that's all I'm required to pay as I'm in the country for less than 90 days per year the national insurance is optional I only contribute as it makes things easier if I ever decide to move back there. I'm in Thailand for between 6 - 10 months per year I've always used tourist or ED visa's so there has been no option to pay tax here. The tax thing is often mentioned on here along with opening a company and employing 4 locals or going down the BOI route, personally the whole point of switching to working on line was to gain more freedom so as long as immigration allow me to work here on a tourist visa I'm going to stick to that. It's also worth noting that guys on retirement arn't required to pay tax on their pentions here nor do guys who work off shore pay tax on their incomes in Thailand so it's a bit hypocritical to expect the on line guys to do so.

• Like 1

There is a relatively large community of on line workers in Thailand and they're not difficult to find if it was illegal then the co-working spaces would surly attract attention there are at least 3 in BKK and a few in Chiangmai. When I got my last visa I was asked how I supported myself I told them I work on line and showed them statements confirming I was paid into my UK account, they were happy with this and gave me a visa. I've got no interest in being "under the radar" as far as I can see the only people who have an issue with the legality of on line work are other westerners posting on here and their opinions really don't matter.

Would be nice to answer honestly like this. But many here seem to think that if you say those words you will be denied a visa.

nor do guys who work off shore pay tax on their incomes in Thailand so it's a bit hypocritical to expect the on line guys to do so.

As most are not in the country for 180 days per year anyway, even if they are on a 28/28, they are travelling to and from work, and the ones that do work offshore in Thailand, most certainly do pay income tax.

and while we are at it lets dispel this myth about working offshore = tax free, in some countries maybe (middle east) but the vast majority, they have to pay tax in the country in whose waters they are working offshore

so please get your fact right before spouting off ...

so maybe pick another example...wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

It's also worth noting that guys on retirement arn't required to pay tax on their pentions here nor do guys who work off shore pay tax on their incomes in Thailand so it's a bit hypocritical to expect the on line guys to do so.

Pension is income from work done abroad, while abroad, as is offshore work. Pensions are mentioned in the double taxation agreements. In some cases I suspect many would actually like to pay the Thai taxes as they are quite low in comparison to f.ex. some European countries.

It all boils down to the physical location of the worker. This is reflected in the taxation laws as well. Until you can physically upload yourself into the internet, it's easy enough to see where you are.

You can and should pay tax if you are > 180 days per year in Thailand. Just go to the revenue office, fill the form and pay. The loophole, if you are looking for one, is that you only pay for the amount you bring to Thailand and have earned in the same tax year. If you are using money earned prior to the year, ie. savings, it's not taxable: http://www.tilleke.com/resources/summary-thailand%E2%80%99s-tax-laws

Obviously I'm not an expert on the tax contributions of either as it doesn't concern me.

but none the less you felt obligated to comment on it anyway... you tried to state something as fact..."nor do guys who work off shore pay tax on their incomes in Thailand"

Obviously I'm not an expert on the tax contributions of either as it doesn't concern me.

but none the less you felt obligated to comment on it anyway... you tried to state something as fact..."nor do guys who work off shore pay tax on their incomes in Thailand"

Hahahaha pot, kettle, black springs to mind, you no nothing about working on line yet feel the need to grace this topic with your presence.

• Like 1

You need to lay off those big bottles of Chang. You've lost the plot.

No one's going to be tracking online workers and kicking doors in. It would be very hard to track and prove.

It's pure science fiction.

Also you assume that a regular Thai (your neighbour / ex) understands the Thai immigration and visa system.

Most do not have a clue and wouldn't know whether you were allowed to do what you are doing or not.

Even immigration don't know if it's OK or not for a farang who has an online business outside of Thailand to work online.

And honestly even if this pissed off person did go and report you for "working online" I doubt anything would ever happen.

Am I reading this right?

You think someone working online in Thailand, earning money from abroad, not taking away jobs from locals, putting money into the economy and taking NOTHING back out, in a country where the whole population breaks the law day in day out and doesn't care about online workers is doing something immoral?

That's just stupid.

I suspect the immigration officer would have no idea what you were doing anyway and assume you were messing about on Facebook.

I suspect the immigration officer would have no idea what you were doing anyway and assume you were messing about on Facebook.

Well do explain it to him. The point of the exercise is too see if it is legal or not. Like "I am working now, without a work permit, on my laptop for a foreign client. I get paid for this to my foreign bank account and I don't pay any taxes here. Cool, eh ?". Don't forget the video.

Well do explain it to him. The point of the exercise is too see if it is legal or not. Like "I am working now, without a work permit, on my laptop for a foreign client. I get paid for this to my foreign bank account and I don't pay any taxes here. Cool, eh ?". Don't forget the video.

If it bothers you so much toddle off down there and inform them of us nefarious individuals yourself, I'm sure their bag of bothered would be overflowing.

If it bothers you so much toddle off down there and inform them of us nefarious individuals yourself, I'm sure their bag of bothered would be overflowing.

Not a bother, just an area of interest. I'm interested in the legal ways to fulfill the requirements of PR/Citizenship. Working without a WP for offshore clients doesn't cut it.

The last group I remember flaunting "they'll never get us" were the perpetual overstayers, who were staying for years and only paying 20k when exiting. Well, look what happened there.

Not a bother, just an area of interest. I'm interested in the legal ways to fulfill the requirements of PR/Citizenship. Working without a WP for offshore clients doesn't cut it.

The last group I remember flaunting "they'll never get us" were the perpetual overstayers, who were staying for years and only paying 20k when exiting. Well, look what happened there.

Yes they left paid 20k then re-entered.

• Like 2

Does it bother YOU that people work online in Thailand, earning money outside of Thailand and not taking away jobs from locals?

If so...WHY?

Yes they left paid 20k then re-entered.

Exactly.

There's reports of 11 year overstays returning the same day they left with new visas and having no problem.

Not that I care, but the TE T&Cs say employment is prohibited, just like the declaration you sign on TR visa applications. They both say 'employment' without explicitly saying if they include online work paid offshore in that definition.

I don't believe they do, but all we have to go on is anecdotal reports from people asking immigration and being told 'no problem for you' (half a dozen posts on TV), and comments from Thai officials on radio shows and interview (2 separate instances, 2 threads on TV about them). I understand why Thailand would deliberately leave the question unanswered.

Agree

The definition of employment is quite well defined "is a relationship between two parties, usually based on a contract, one being the employer and the other being the employee."

And this never being something that can be done permanently online or remotely, never outside the country, a employee can be replaced very easy and can't say 'no' to a direct order from the employer, wage slavery IMHO ...but the other circunstances are quite diferent...

Self-employment is the act of generating one's income directly from customers, clients or other organizations as opposed to being an employee of a business (or person).

A freelancer, is a person who is self-employed and is not committed to a particular employer long-term.

An independent contractor is a natural person, business, or corporation that provides goods or services to another entity under terms specified in a contract or within a verbal agreement.

And the ones that are strictly out of the origin country Offshoring Outsourcing and Crowdsourcing

It's easy enough to cross reference internet usage statistics of those who have a permanent address and are using the same ISP every day to access IP numbers known to belong to f.ex. OpenDesk. Having a secured VPN on all the time would also be enough to warrant a visit from your parole .. erhm ... immigration officer. It's not sci-fi.

It's impossible, ISP in very few circusntances will store that amount of data, for what??? who will pay for?? by contract many ISP will protect the info of their customers and countries like China are just reject every international request, there are ISPs in China with a fixed IP that are exploiting for more than 5 years any government, or busniess in the world, you can send the entire report and sue the ISP using local layers, but by the law in China they can't do nothing, any country in the world can do nothing more than block entire segments.

The only way possible should be using black hat technics, I guess no body here is the next Kim dotcom, 0 profit, should be better some civil police in Pataya Phuket or Bangkok girl bars and start 'cross reference usage statistics' from there...

Would be nice to answer honestly like this. But many here seem to think that if you say those words you will be denied a visa.

I am not interested to being "under the radar" or in a "spot light" as in this forum I will never answer to a troll question or to someone that is not taking his chill pills. or anything that is a waste of time, it's depends of the IO, many people just don't understand, and sometimes is just like speaking with a taxi guy that the unique that is interested for is charging you as much as he can, and sometiems you need to have touch, is not like o yeah in one hour I win the same that you win in one week, and that is so awesome I have time to <deleted> like crazy with the sexy cheap girls here ...clearly not a good way to be transparent xD

You can and should pay tax if you are > 180 days per year in Thailand. Just go to the revenue office, fill the form and pay. The loophole, if you are looking for one, is that you only pay for the amount you bring to Thailand and have earned in the same tax year. If you are using money earned prior to the year, ie. savings, it's not taxable: http://www.tilleke.com/resources/summary-thailand%E2%80%99s-tax-laws

Actually this is pretty clever, In Chile I did something similar, before the SII (Servicio de Impuestos Interno, tax organization) not have the option to create a online invoice to a foreign company without a chilean ID (without emitting a "factura de exportacion" or a international invoice for goods, not for personal/professional services), what I did was generating a print invoice that not need a recipient and pay the taxes for it, in that way I protected my self in case of being answered about my bank incomes (that never happened), in wherever situation the law still not cover that case as a unity, the invoice that i send to my customers is not the same that I need to do in my country, I don't know how they declare that but should be some kind of external outsourcing under their respective taxation law, the same with the contracts everything is related to the company location, If I have a problem i will lose money, but in theory I can go and get a layer in the same area of the company and put a demand there, but for the expenses and nature of my work for me is easy to protect my self keeping part of the source code or services in my servers so I can trigger "actions" if I not get paid.

I tried in other countries but it is impossible without a national tax ID only companies or natural person can have a national tax ID (or wherever it's called) I read the entire document but there is no info about what you point, apparently is not possible neither.