A temporary measure

WitawatWatawit

For reasons I don't wish to go into right now, I'm thinking of buying a cheap bike for just a few months - nothing special, just something to get me by until I am ready to go upmarket. Just a basic touring bike style for whiling away the hours by rambling around the backroads of Nong Prue. I've checked the classies and there seems to be nothing going 2nd hand. I've also looked at those Fortune bikes in Tesco, and they're about the amount of money I wish to spend at this stage - 3,200 or so. But they're made in China and not likely to last (if not fall apart immediately). However, it's just for a short while, and if I have to throw it away afterwards, then no problem. It's not a lot of money to lose. Anyone got any other ideas, or maybe an opinion on the Fortune and whether it will be OK for the interim? (Please keep in mind the price factor - cheers)

Many thanks (especially to those who stick to the point and don't lecture smile.png)

Wit.

Pattaya.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

All the bikes are made in China except for top of the range racing machines. Even those beautiful commuters in the famous shops are being assembled of the cheapest components of Chinese origin.

And they still can do their job.

If the Tesco bike is an LA Bicycle, you'll likely find its made here in Thailand smile.png

Cheap western brands made in China

Mid range and high end made in Taiwan (

There is only a few brands left manufacturing in the west, all the skills are in China/Taiwan now......

All the bikes are made in China except for top of the range racing machines. Even those beautiful commuters in the famous shops are being assembled of the cheapest components of Chinese origin.

And they still can do their job.

My experience is that the difference is in the quality assurance and control; I'm loathe to buy Chinese brands, but I'll happily buy respected Western brands, regardless of where the product is assembled

SC

It'not exactly the chinese production of bicycles, but more about the Electra bikes (for example) equipped with the cheapest shimano and even no-name components (handlebars, rims, brakes, cables etc) with overall price of about $ 1000 and higher. I suppose that any Tesco bike will be close in performance.

I know my Infinito frame was made in Taiwan and that doesn't bother me, because I've fitted it with the components I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand