New/Used Car choice (Budget 900k-1.2M)

wowjudo

Hello TV

If you had a budget of up to 1.2M to spend for a new/used car ( prefer better brand used car)

what would you take ? Wanted to get a new car for my wife after a small accident that happend to her civic (small for the person but big for the car)

ill start with my idea:

2008 bmw 5 series e60 model

Edited by wowjudo

Buy new! Yr wife will be damned happy! Thai peeps are obsessed with getting new cars! LOL

1 million will get the Mitsubishi ex 2.0gt model.
Or the newest ford ecosport at 800+k

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by Aldebaran1981

thanks guys. Well i wont consider Hondas anymore. Dont get me wrong, they're great cars but the cabin noise is just horrible. I drive a 2013 honda accord myself and after longerm this is the only issue i found but still a very annoying one

Toyota.. Camry maybe ? anyone exp with the new camry hybrid model ?

The merc looks nice but maybe abit too old ? the 2008 c class would be a better option imo.

Also the bmw i mentioned wont be imported from overseas. i know its an import car but still from an official thai bmw dealer.

the new mazda 3 looks awesome. always liked their design

i stumbled across few other options. perhaps i give her my accord and get an older 7 series.

http://one2car.com/BMW_SERIES%207/F25140140

heard they are still good these days even tho its a very old car

not sure about insurance , maintainance cost and fuel consumption

Edited by wowjudo

I have the Ford Ranger 3.2L Wildtrak. Wonderful truck, albeit a little thirsty around town. Motorbikes try to avoid you in traffic (it's huge!), and you tend not to get as many people pulling out in front of you. You're also sitting so high up that you can see everything around, and the huge mirrors really help.

Brilliant truck with a car-like interior (four doors, good sized rear seats, bluetooth sound system, reversing camera in the rear-view mirror, dual-zone air-con, cruise control, switchable 2WD/4WD and 4WD-LO, three power points inside and one out in the back), and costs 1.1M THB.

• Like 1

I would not buy any vehicle manufactures before the 2011 flood, there are too many damaged vehicles on the market. I would buy a new vehicle, what will be give me free insurance for the first year plus a 3 or 5 year warrantee. Both the Merc and BMW's repair and maintenance costs are high and I have heard there insurance is also loaded. Talk to the wife and find out what she would like.

• Like 1

Buy new! Yr wife will be damned happy! Thai peeps are obsessed with getting new cars! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You can get the Mitsu new, in White, with all the extras for less than 1 million from Mitsu Republic BKK if you're prepared to sit and haggle for a couple of hours. Make a list of everything you want before you go to buy any car. Bought one there back in April. 3 weeks for delivery. I live in Isaan so they shipped it to their main outlet in Khon Khan. If you don't want the paddle shift gear change option get the EX non GT model.

Edited by Anon999

If you want to buy a used car you can now get a reliable Warranty issued by an Australian insurance company. A basic drive-chain warranty is included in any car loan from Bank of Ayudhaya but for a 'bumper to bumper' you should ask the broker AVP Insurance in Ploenchit Center.

thanks guys. Well i wont consider Hondas anymore. Dont get me wrong, they're great cars but the cabin noise is just horrible. I drive a 2013 honda accord myself and after longerm this is the only issue i found but still a very annoying one

The merc looks nice but maybe abit too old ? the 2008 c class would be a better option imo.

Also the bmw i mentioned wont be imported from overseas. i know its an import car but still from an official thai bmw dealer.

I think what the other posters are getting at is, "because the car is an import- it's already going to be priced perhaps 3 to 4 times the amount you would have paid in the West for that exact same car"

Someone else may have imported the car- but you will still pay.

It's a matter of cost vrs. value. I you prefer a quality German import at an inflated price- over a new car/SUV, then go for it.

But maint. and fuel costs will be up there as well.

If you can afford it and like it- go for it.

In Thailand

I would buy new.

In the west I might buy the used BMW- but a 2008 Model 7 series would only cost 350,000 Baht there- and not 1.5 M!

But that's just me

• Like 1

You can get the Mitsu new, in White, with all the extras for less than 1 million from Mitsu Republic BKK if you're prepared to sit and haggle for a couple of hours. Make a list of everything you want before you go to buy any car. Bought one there back in April. 3 weeks for delivery. I live in Isaan so they shipped it to their main outlet in Khon Khan. If you don't want the paddle shift gear change option get the EX non GT model.

Don´t get the outdated Mitsu, the new Mazda 3 is the way to go. We have a Lancer EX in the family  and I have to say I´m not impressed. Not with the build quality (rattle, squeaking), not happy with the gearbox nor with the engine. But I like the styling, specially when lowerd and some Lancer Evo styling is added wub.png  

Look at the Mazda 3, I´d say it got all advanteges over the Mitsu (and many others) It´s really new and lot more modern in every aspect. Ecosport? Sorry, ugly. 

• Like 1

At this budget the mentioned Mazda 3 is surely a top if not THE top contender. It drives really well, interior is on the level of VW and BMW (nearly). Handles well too. If they would produce a manual version I would get one...and I am coming from a VW Golf GTI.

By the way a 2-3 year old GTI is also around 1.2-3.....just for the sake of it. Fun cars, but maintenance is costly.

Have also seen a nice Passat for about 1m Baht on one of the websites, if i remember right, 2-3 years, 30,000km. 2.0l with 200hp.

Where is good place to get a Mazda in Thailand (especially BKK)?  Assuming there are multiple dealer/sources to purchase the car, are prices fairly standard?  Or, are there room for negotiation?

When purchasing a new car, I've heard that insurance and maintenance for first 5 years are typically included in the purchase price? 

I'm thinking of buying a car in BKK as well around same range.

New model Camry Hybrid is an excellent choice. We bought one eighteen months ago and it hasn't missed a beat. 14kms per litre and that's not taking it easy.

I test drove the C220 Merc at the time. It was 800k more expensive but was due for an imminent model change soon. The Camry does everything the Merc did except drive the rear wheels and sport the hi-so badge.

I hope they haven't dropped to 1.2m yet!!!!! 

The C class is smaller than the E. E class ist the best selling class of MB and the CDI has a diesel engine. The fuel expense is lower than a Honda City 1500 cc.

I would not buy any vehicle manufactures before the 2011 flood, there are too many damaged vehicles on the market. I would buy a new vehicle, what will be give me free insurance for the first year plus a 3 or 5 year warrantee. Both the Merc and BMW's repair and maintenance costs are high and I have heard there insurance is also loaded. Talk to the wife and find out what she would like.

Do you mean the privately own cars HUAHIN62 ..?? because the manufactured ones that were caught in the flood were quite publicly trashed (if they wanted to get the tax rebate.

Floods: Honda destroys cars

Customers need not worry about buying the flood-damaged cars seen so often in photos. They will be systematically destroyed and scrapped. 

344197.jpg

Photo above of flood-damaged Honda cars being destroyed (demolished). Photos of these cars became quite famous during the floods (See photo gallery).

Do you mean the privately own cars HUAHIN62 ..?? because the manufactured ones that were caught in the flood were quite publicly trashed (if they wanted to get the tax rebate.

Floods: Honda destroys cars

Customers need not worry about buying the flood-damaged cars seen so often in photos. They will be systematically destroyed and scrapped. 

344197.jpg

Photo above of flood-damaged Honda cars being destroyed (demolished). Photos of these cars became quite famous during the floods (See photo gallery).

Sorry finger fault should be "manufactured". As the new vehicles that was damaged in the floods was destroyed it leaves the privately owned vehicles that I am worried about. I have heard of cases where the insurance company wrote off damaged vehicles and these vehicles was "fixed" and resold by second hand vehicle dealers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don´t get the outdated Mitsu, the new Mazda 3 is the way to go. We have a Lancer EX in the family  and I have to say I´m not impressed. Not with the build quality (rattle, squeaking), not happy with the gearbox nor with the engine. But I like the styling, specially when lowerd and some Lancer Evo styling is added wub.png alt=wub.png>  

Look at the Mazda 3, I´d say it got all advanteges over the Mitsu (and many others) It´s really new and lot more modern in every aspect. Ecosport? Sorry, ugly. 

+1

CVT gearbox, one of the worst I've seen. Always makes you hunting for power, jerks a lot when your throttle is light. Rattles here and there. Cabin materials is mostly hard plastic, and do a google on toxic materials in cars. This car ranked one of the worst in the world. Engine, weak, when you step on the gas, sounds like air is guzzling or leaking somewhere. Horrible exhaust sound lol. Only likes is styling, steering and handling. And suspension too, very dead flat firm, but lousy cushioning.

To the OP, Mazda 3 was the best choice, glad you made that decision. Looks so good the new one, makes it seem like a very long and stylish car. Also interior will be the best out of the other competitors. Mazda uses soft leather and comfortable touches inside their cabin. Best overall value.

I have the Ford Ranger 3.2L Wildtrak. Wonderful truck, albeit a little thirsty around town. Motorbikes try to avoid you in traffic (it's huge!), and you tend not to get as many people pulling out in front of you. You're also sitting so high up that you can see everything around, and the huge mirrors really help.

Brilliant truck with a car-like interior (four doors, good sized rear seats, bluetooth sound system, reversing camera in the rear-view mirror, dual-zone air-con, cruise control, switchable 2WD/4WD and 4WD-LO, three power points inside and one out in the back), and costs 1.1M THB.

What's the delivery time on a 3.2 now? Can you even still get it?

OP: get the new mazda 3, best in class now:)

Edited by culicine

So you've decided on the Mazda 3.  Well congrats for that, a very attractive car.  But just curious about your comment above regarding the 2013 Accord.  You don't like that car?  I think the Accord is a beautiful car and I'm seriously considering it for my next ride.

• Like 1

So you've decided on the Mazda 3.  Well congrats for that, a very attractive car.  But just curious about your comment above regarding the 2013 Accord.  You don't like that car?  I think the Accord is a beautiful car and I'm seriously considering it for my next ride.

Well the mazda 3 is great but ofc not as refined and good like the 2013 honda accord.

the 2013 accord (2.4 Tech) is really a GREAT car. I didnt found anything technically bad besides 1 thing that is not a problem for most drivers. The cabin noise

I changed to continental purecontact tires and its much better now. But still you will always have noticable road noise when you drive over 80 km/h

Perhaps adding sound deadening stuff to do doors will help ? I really dont like the idea to take apart the whole car to sound deaden the floor , roof , firewall etc.

It was really annoying for me when i drove from chiang rai to bkk (about 800 km)

but else its a reliable car and very comfortable + good looking

If you want to buy a used car you can now get a reliable Warranty issued by an Australian insurance company. A basic drive-chain warranty is included in any car loan from Bank of Ayudhaya but for a 'bumper to bumper' you should ask the broker AVP Insurance in Ploenchit Center.

Are there any cars that still use a drive-chain?