What are the new eD rules?

As of yesterday, an ED visa only allows you to stay for up to 12 months in Thailand. After that, you need to exit the country and re-apply for a new ED visa.

These new rules also apply to current ED visas. So, if you were supposed to get your final extension on, say August 20th, you will not get it. Look at the original ED visa sticker in your passport and see when you got it. Add 1 year. That's when you have to leave the country at the latest. (For example, you got your ED visa on September 6th, 2013. That means you need to leave Thailand at the latest on September 6th, 2014).

Worth to mention, these "regulations" are not officially published anywhere. That is just what Immigration offices are reported to have started doing in Jomtien. I would not surprised to learn that other offices do differently.

The official regulations for extension of stay allow each single extension to be granted for up to one year, without a limit for the number of consecutive extensions given.

Reason 2.9
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy305-2551_en.pdf

August 29th is the day a new police order goes into effect. Change to 2.9.

(2) In case of nonformal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed [size=4]one year from the date of entering the Kingdom.[/size]
Types of non-formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission ***
Also: *** Announcement from the Private Education Commission, 
Subject: Types and nature of schools, teaching management and curriculum of non-formal school dated on 12 February 2009
· Religious school: a school established by sole purpose of teaching religion
· Art and Sports school: a school established to provide education of music, art and sports
· Vocational school: a school established to provide vocational skills to be applied to further carrier or as an additional skill for learners
· Tutoring school: a school established to provide additional knowledge parrarel to  the general education curriculum
Skill Development school: established to develop talents, ideas and other skills of learners

Morning chaps.. have these rules changed in relation to a multiple entry ED visa?

Mine was issued in December 2013 at a consulate in Australia. I understood this gave me nearly 15 months assuming I leave just before the last "exit before date" - December 2014. Is this no longer the case? I don't do extensions but have been leaving the country every 80-90 days and am next due to leave early September.

Cheers,

ptorphy.

Morning chaps.. have these rules changed in relation to a multiple entry ED visa?

Mine was issued in December 2013 at a consulate in Australia. I understood this gave me nearly 15 months assuming I leave just before the last "exit before date" - December 2014. Is this no longer the case? I don't do extensions but have been leaving the country every 80-90 days and am next due to leave early September.

Cheers,

ptorphy.

No change for a multiple entry visa from an embassy or consulate,

As of yesterday, an ED visa only allows you to stay for up to 12 months in Thailand. After that, you need to exit the country and re-apply for a new ED visa.

These new rules also apply to current ED visas. So, if you were supposed to get your final extension on, say August 20th, you will not get it. Look at the original ED visa sticker in your passport and see when you got it. Add 1 year. That's when you have to leave the country at the latest. (For example, you got your ED visa on September 6th, 2013. That means you need to leave Thailand at the latest on September 6th, 2014).

I got my original ED stamp on the 16 July 2013 at the Thai embassy in London.

I have a stamp of extension until the 12 October 2014, because I didn't enter Thailand until the 18 October.

So are you saying the stamp that immigration gave me to stay until the 12 October is now illegal ?

As far as I'm aware the original stamp gives a person one year from stamp date to enter Thailand, it has nothing to do with when the visa starts.

I have a stamp of extension until the 12 October 2014, because I didn't enter Thailand until the 18 October.

So are you saying the stamp that immigration gave me to stay until the 12 October is now illegal ?

As far as I'm aware the original stamp gives a person one year from stamp date to enter Thailand, it has nothing to do with when the visa starts.

How does your complete visa look like? it's strange that you were allowed 360 days, that not a standard immigration duration, on a ED visa. Normally you should have been allowed only 90 days starting 12/10/13. Then if it is a multi-entry visa, you would have had to leave country each 90 days.

Everybody must now reapply (except maybe those getting new ED visas just this month, I am not sure) after your next renewal date AFTER 29th of August. So if your next renewal is 1st of September, you must go to Laos or Cambodia and reapply. So contact your school today.

How does your complete visa look like? it's strange that you were allowed 360 days, that not a standard immigration duration, on a ED visa. Normally you should have been allowed only 90 days starting 12/10/13. Then if it is a multi-entry visa, you would have had to leave country each 90 days.

My visa is Non-immigrant ED Multi entry.

Date of issue 15 Aug 2013. Enter before 14 Aug 2014.

My date of entry to Thailand was 18 Oct 2013.

I have gone to immigration every 3 months to get the visa extended by another 3 months. There has been no need for me to leave the country what-so-ever, and I don't know why anyone would need to do so.

It is a 1 year visa. Therefore it lasts for a year, not 90 days. And it begun the day I entered Thailand.

I don't have much clue about visa's but I wouldn't imagine its to hard to work out a 1 year visa has the duration of a year.

I have gone to immigration every 3 months to get the visa extended by another 3 months. There has been no need for me to leave the country what-so-ever, and I don't know why anyone would need to do so.

It is a 1 year visa. Therefore it lasts for a year, not 90 days. And it begun the day I entered Thailand.

I don't have much clue about visa's but I wouldn't imagine its to hard to work out a 1 year visa has the duration of a year.

Some people with a multi entry visa may live close to a border, and/or prefer to do a border hop instead of paying Bt 1,900.

In your case you would have saved a by getting a single entry in first place.

I think you should be able to activate one last entry before 14/08, and then 3 more extensions before you get a new visa.

Why did you get a multiple entry visa? You only needed a single entry.

Your visas expiration date (enter before date on the sticker)  has nothing to do with staying here it is just the last day that you can use it for a entry.

Why did you get a multiple entry visa? You only needed a single entry.

Your visas expiration date (enter before date on the sticker)  has nothing to do with staying here it is just the last day that you can use it for a entry.

I got multi entry as I thought I might do some travelling.

Yes I am aware of the visa expiration date.  I don't get why anyone would think you would need to leave the country every 90 days on an ED visa. I don't know of anyone suggesting that before.

There is to be said that a multi entry visa gives more flexibility in all cases.

For example when on an extension one may have to leave country urgently, being away at the time it expires. Without a multi-entry then he would have to get a new visa again with the associated delays and inconvenience.

There is to be said that a multi entry visa gives more flexibility in all cases.

For example when on an extension one may have to leave country urgently, being away at the time it expires. Without a multi-entry then he would have to get a new visa again with the associated delays and inconvenience.

re-entry permit at airport for 1000 baht

My friend get his second Ed extension in Juni 2014 for 12 month.Yes 12. I dont know how he get it but it was legit from a school so no issue there I think and he have now to do only a 90 day rapports, would this effect him?It could as the first enter was 2013 If I understand you guys correct?

Your stamp is not illegal. But you will have to renew your visa before the end of the stamp (if your visa is older than 1 year). This is the new rule. I'm in the same case of you. Here is what my school told me : 

"From 29th August all the students who have extended their ED visa past one year have to apply for visa again by the date of their next extension. If I'm not mistaken, your next extension will be on 1st November, which means that you will have to apply for visa again by that date. It takes about 2 weeks to prepare documents for visa but since there are going to be more people applying, I suggest that you come to school earlier (3 weeks- 1month) to be sure (so, in the beginning of Oct)

You will need to bring your passport, 12 pictures in colour (3.5 by 4 cm and, according to the new law, you need to be wearing a shirt with a collar and long sleeves on the pictures), your address in Thailand.

The reason we haven't notified you of the changes is because we need to establish what the payment is going to be for students with the same case as yours. We expect the owner of the school to come this evening to discuss all the details. As soon as I know something I will let you know."

Edited by ritoyenne

Hi,

I'm on a multiple entry ED visa, and I entered the country on 1st Sept 2013.  I started my course in November 2013.

My ED visa was issued 15th Aug 2013, and I could enter the country on the 15th Aug 2014 at the latest.

I have left the country every 90 days, instead of extending, apart from my last one, which was a 90 day extension (the 1st time I've done it).

I am required to extend again on 29th Aug 2014, as this is when my current extension runs out.

Do you know what this means for me?  Will I be able to extend, or will I be required to re-apply for my ED visa?

re-entry permit at airport for 1000 baht

Re-entry permit expires the same date as the extension of stay. So if you are out of the country on that date, as it can happen with unexpected travel, you will need a new visa.