CBR250R Kevlar Exhaust Slip-On

ja99

There has been some discussion on the subject of CBR250R exhaust swaps here and having taken the plunge for 6800baht, here is a mini-review of sorts.

There are a couple of reasons I wanted to be rid of the original (modified baffle) pipe - like everyone out there, I couldn't really stand the look of it. Then, last week the bike toppled over to the right due to the side stand being slightly longer than a stock one (which previously snapped in 2) and not having enough lean on this occasion. Before picking the bike back up, I was expecting to see a cracked fairing/ screen half-mangled pegs, levers etc., here  the main thing to take the brunt of the fall was the matt silver exhaust cover, looking worse for wear and doing nothing to enhance the looks of the bike. The decision was made to replace the exhaust.

A week later, off to the main indie bike shop in Phuket town next to Big Honda on the main road where they showed me a choice of 3 X-Chave brand - stainlesss steel (4800bht), matt black and kevlar for 6800bht. I would have opted for the stainless but it didn't have a baffle in the kit and personally, I dont need that level of noise. There is also the issue of burning your calf on the exposed steel lacking a protective cover. The kevlar kit looked the biz, was incredibly light and had a baffle already in place, pretty much what I was after. So, on it went, despite not much info on the web about the X-Chave brand.

I was curious about the weight of the old system and opted to keep it in case I didn't get on with the kevlar baby. I was stunned at how heavy it was by comparison. It felt like a 10kg difference but the scales at Family Mart indicated about 6kgs total weight for the old unit . The new system therefore shaved perhaps 4kgs max of the bike weight?

The kevlar replacement wins hands down on all 3 fronts - looks, sound and importantly, performance. Interestingly, written on the lip of the pipe is 'for racing use only'..now theres a hit as to what is in store when you twist the throttle. The tacho races up to the peak torque band around 7000rpm and the bike simply flies like another beast altogether. There is not a snowball's chance in hell of me swapping back to the original and if you are a CBR250R owner with a stock pipe looking for a reasonably priced upgrade, this kit should tick all the right boxes. Pic attached.

Safe riding to all biggrin.png

• Like 2

what is the reaction of police to your aftermarket pipe? any problems in phuket?

No interest as yet from boys in brown..it has the baffle in, so it isn't as noisy as others around the place..

• Like 1

what is the reaction of police to your aftermarket pipe? any problems in phuket?

No interest as yet from boys in brown..it has the baffle in, so it isn't as noisy as others around the place..

Looks good too! Happy rides.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a staunch anti after market exhaust man, i have to say your zorst looks pretty darn smart.....

• Like 1

As a staunch anti after market exhaust man, i have to say your zorst looks pretty darn smart.....

Ta for thumbs up, stainless steel looked good too but no baffle. This kevlar kit  pretty quiet up @ 4k on tacho.

Is that big fat sticker removable..?

Looks great apart from that, imo...

Agreed, I thought the logo was a bit much too but got used to it, at least the red patch goes with the bike. Reluctant to take it off as it seems pretty well stuck on.