Pulled over

rambling

There was a police check point on Pradit Manutham about 2KM before CDC. Cop stops me, checks license - fine. Pulls out a laminated piece of paper and points to a line which reads: "Motorcycle need to ride on the left. Fine: 400 THB". I try to explain about the multitude of huge heavy trucks that were merging into the road there, one passed us at that moment pretty close and scary and I pointed at it for added emphasis. Antalai maakk krup. Policeman don't care. Asked me where I want to pay the fine, I mention a station near my home, and then he goes: hmm you can pay now.. no need to go to the station.. Lol right.. so how much? No reply. I pull out 200, he covers the transaction with his writing pad, a couple more sentences of lecturing me about the left hand and off I go. There were about 5 policemen there all very busy.. chalk it down to part of the cost of riding a bike here? :-)

Actually I've seen them around there before but was too occupied with the traffic to remember. Maybe next time I'll keep right-most on that road, no chance to cut left and stop next to them even if they wave unless someone is completely suicidal.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for 200 baht, it does not worth running away from a police stop. you did the right thing by stopping.

nowadays, i see police around cameras on their hands and enforcement is stronger. think about what happens to you if you run from a police stop in USA or Europe.

also, 100 thb works too, try next rimelaugh.png

Yes I wouldn't make a special effort to stop but in this case given my location on the road and the speed I was going it would have been a too blatant making a run for it which I'm not comfortable doing. Also all my paperwork is in order so what's the worst case they can do..

I've had two more cases where once it was just not possible to stop so I carried on, and another where they looked at me and just let me pass. This time I had my sun visor down and the cop was surprised to see a farang. Don't know if being a foreigner makes a difference for them or not.

^

IIRR sun visor is illegal. Just wait till the next visor crackdown laugh.png

Well my helmet was purchased here, has the local safety approval sticker and the sun visor is an integral part of the helmet.. But who knows maybe in Thailand that doesn't mean much :-)

for 200 baht, it does not worth running away from a police stop. you did the right thing by stopping.

nowadays, i see police around cameras on their hands and enforcement is stronger. think about what happens to you if you run from a police stop in USA or Europe.

If you stop this weekend, a few bikes are going to have problems...

Why?

NomadJoe, the exceptions appear to be part of sections 33 and 34. Section 35 which directly refers to motorcycles does not have exceptions. That seems meaningful to me.

Have you ever been stopped for this and tried arguing this point? What was the reaction and outcome?

Yes you did the right thing there given the circumstances.

TIT.

No, he didn't. And don't complain about being done for imaginary offenses when you are so easily going to let him steal from you. That is why they do it! They only ask for backhanders because they know you will comply. Corruption is wrong TIT or not and your lazyness is contributing directly to it.

There are multiple sections about keeping left, some apply to all vehicles, one mentions motorcycles, (actually using the term "motorised bicycles) rather than the more modern "motosai") There are many exceptions to the keep left laws. Nowhere does not say you cannot use the right lanes. Even section 35 has an "as possible" clause.

Print and laminate a copy of this and when he pulls out his printed and laminated copy pointing to a section, you pull out yours.

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 3

Section 33 (500B)

When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)

If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. when there is obstruction on the road

b. when the road is prescribed as one-way

c. when it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction.

d. when overtaking another vehicle.

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible. Otherwise every motorcycle of every size would be required to go no faster than the slowest vehicle in the left hand lane. This is a result of outdated laws written when motorbikes were 50cc.

ในการขับรถ ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายและต้องไม่ล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถ เว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาหรือล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถได้

(๑) ด้านซ้ายของทางเดินรถมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

(๒) ทางเดินรถนั้นเจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

(๓) ทางเดินรถนั้นกว้างไม่ถึงหกเมตร

นการใช้ทางเดินรถที่ได้จัดแบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไป หรือที่ได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางไว้ในช่องเดินรถซ้ายสุด ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในช่องซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้กับช่องเดินรถประจำทางเว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาของทางเดินรถได้

(๑) ในช่องเดินรถนั้นมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

๒) ทางเดินรถนั้น เจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

(๓) จะต้องเข้าช่องทางให้ถูกต้องเมื่อเข้าบริเวณใกล้ทางร่วมทางแยก

(๔) เมื่อจะแซงขึ้นหน้ารถคันอื่น

(๕) เมื่อผู้ขับขี่ขับรถด้วยความเร็วสูงกว่ารถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้าย

รถที่มีความเร็วช้าหรือรถที่มีความเร็วต่ำกว่าความเร็วของรถคันอื่นที่ขับในทิศทางเดียวกัน ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถให้ใกล้ขอบทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายเท่าที่จะกระทำได้

ผู้ขับขี่รถบรรทุก รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร รถจักรยานยนต์ในทางเดินรถซึ่งได้แบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไปหรือได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางด้านซ้ายไว้โดยเฉพาะ ต้องขับรถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้เคียงกับช่องเดินรถประจำทางแล้วแต่กรณี

hey joe

do you carry this with you ?

have you used it and been let off ?

i could imagine trying this in a not so crowed area

could get a biker beaten down

Why?

Don't worry about it. Private joke between LL and I.
  • Like 1

Except it was not a 'real' police check point. Brown uniform are traffic police assistants, 100% corrupt.

if you see them in Black uniform, then must stop, but they are less corrupt.

That booklet they show is a fake thing they've printed just to take money. They are trying as much as they can lately to get as much money, because sooner or later they will be next in the junta checklist.

Edited by brfsa2

Stop complaining, it probably happens to each of us 1-2 times a year and costs us next to nothing to pay it.

Sorry but who died and made you daddy?

I don't know how often you ride but if you're being stopped only once or twice a year, it can't be much.

Sometimes I pass 3 or 4 police checkpoints on a single ride. If I stopped at every one, it'd become rather expensive real quick.

I ride everyday rain or shine. What can I say?

Maybe you are just unlucky or perhaps where you go on your weekend trips (Khao Yai?) is where they lie in wait. Apparently you don't stop anyway so what do you care?

Except it was not a 'real' police check point. Brown uniform are traffic police assistants, 100% corrupt.

if you see them in Black uniform, then must stop, but they are less corrupt.

That booklet they show is a fake thing they've printed just to take money. They are trying as much as they can lately to get as much money, because sooner or later they will be next in the junta checklist.

I'm not sure where you live but in Bangkok (and all places I've been in Thailand) all police wear brown hence the term 'BiB' (lol that could mean black). Black uniforms are rangers or something? in other words, not real police. I know a few police here and been in a many a police station; they wear brown.

Edited by macknife
  • Like 2

Stop complaining, it probably happens to each of us 1-2 times a year and costs us next to nothing to pay it.

I don't know how often you ride but if you're being stopped only once or twice a year, it can't be much.

Sometimes I pass 3 or 4 police checkpoints on a single ride. If I stopped at every one, it'd become rather expensive real quick.

Maybe you are just unlucky or perhaps where you go on your weekend trips (Khao Yai?) is where they lie in wait. Apparently you don't stop anyway so what do you care?

If you're riding everyday and I'm guessing, commuting, maybe it's just a short ride and you've been lucky with the BIB. Ive been riding 8 years in LOS and being stopped only once or twice a year sounds very odd to me and doesn't tally with my experience.

My weekend rides (and occasional commute, but the roads are shit in my area) are to various places- Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai, Rayong, Hua Hin, Prachuab, Sangklhaburi, Buriram..wherever.

And you're right I don't stop for the BIB. But that doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

BTW, what do you ride?

If you're riding everyday and I'm guessing, commuting, maybe it's just a short ride and you've been lucky with the BIB. Ive been riding 8 years in LOS and being stopped only once or twice a year sounds very odd to me and doesn't tally with my experience.

My weekend rides (and occasional commute, but the roads are shit in my area) are to various places- Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai, Rayong, Hua Hin, Prachuab, Sangklhaburi, Buriram..wherever.

And you're right I don't stop for the BIB. But that doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

BTW, what do you ride?

I ride the new baby Ninja. I know it doesn't compare to what you ride but we're all bikers. Yes I mostly commute (about a 30 minute ride) but still have the odd weekend ride around maybe local, or Pattaya (this weekend) sometimes Buriram (looking forward to having a go on the new circuit there as its 5 minutes from my ex-gfs house)

I know heading out of town you encounter more police but til this day I have never been stopped by any of them once I have left Bangkok. Still these small fines hardly compare to our home countries, therefore I don't believe we should complain too much. Riding on the left is a stupid rule but it is there and it's better than the western alternative.

Edited by macknife

NomadJoe, the exceptions appear to be part of sections 33 and 34. Section 35 which directly refers to motorcycles does not have exceptions. That seems meaningful to me.

Have you ever been stopped for this and tried arguing this point? What was the reaction and outcome?

Phuket police don't seem to use this trick, so no, never have.

35 says in some translations "as close to the left had side as possible". This is the section police are using. There is noway motorbikes in Thailand can't use the right hand lane, otherwise no motorcyclist would ever be able to turn right. I think it is time to submit this as an Issues and Answers segment in the local paper and get an official answer. You can keep a translation of that too. Get enough people arguing with them and showing them the laws and quotes from police then maybe they will stop using it.

Edited by NomadJoe

On those checkpoints if you spend enough time arguing, or pull out some excerpts of the law I think there's a good chance they will let you go, so as long as you don't offend them. After all, they could be making money pulling other "offenders" over rather than arguing with you.

I was stopped in Chiang Mai once because I had made a turn on red. However, I hadn't - I was just the first to make this turn when the light turned green, and I'd been fined at the exact same place for the same offense the week before so I'd made sure I didn't turn on red. I got pissed off, and made my point and to my surprise was waved on even though the police officer wasn't convinced. I later realized it was probably because I looked like I was going to waste a lot of his time there, valuable time in which he could stop 3, 4, 5 or 6 others and make some easy money off them.... rational decision, cut your losses and move on....

• Like 2