Has the 400,000k requirement changed?

Has the 400,000k requirement changed?

I was looking at the Thai Embassy website today, I'm looking at getting a marriage visa next year, I've been married for 4 years and have 1 child in Thailand, it says that you need to provide proof of "£1,400 anuually" and not 400,000k baht? is this correct?

Also if I get a marriage visa, is it multiple entry and do I need to check in at immigration every 90 days?

i also heard that if I get sole custody of my Thai child I can apply for anothet type of visa that is easier to manage i.e. no immigration every 90 days?

Any info would be appreciated.

Non-Immigrant Type O

• Birth Certificate (applicant's child)
  • Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)
  • a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)
  • An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)
  • Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that the 1400/month is just a typo.  Elsewhere they refer to 1400/month, 16500/annually.  But in any case check with a consulate (not Hull) at the time you will be applying.  As Glasgow above, Cardiff issued me a non-O based on marriage in March on the spot, no financials.

The rules for extensions of stay has not changed.

The embassy in London does a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage with no financial proof needed. You can apply in person or by post. 

You will need to leave the country every 90 days.with a visa.

If you got a one year extension you would just make 90 day reports to immigration.

You will not get a multiple entry visa or an extension of stay unless you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization.

• Like 2

The embassy in London does a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage with no financial proof needed. You can apply in person or by post. 

Cheers Joe. I was in touch with Glasgow yesterday. I'll have a brand new second passport for the visa. My other one is a mess with all sort of visas and 3 years worth of 28/28's. If i do get questioned on the 19th when i'm next in i'll not metion my Mrs and kid. I have my work contract and will point to my Kazak Visa if they question me

Are you sure? Do you have any links?

I just looked on the immigration website and there is a document in notices section in Thai posted on 25 July but is effective from 24 August 2014 that lists requirements for extensions of stay for each category. Under family category there is no mention of 400,000 baht, only reference to minimum income of 40, 000 baht per mnth

Edited by Time Traveller

I just looked on the immigration website and there is a document in Thai dated 25 July but is effective from 24 August 2014 that lists requirements for extensions of stay for each category. Under family category there is no mention of 400,000 baht, only reference to minimum income of 40, 000 baht per mnth

There has been no changes to clause 2.18 for the financial requirements. No sure what you were looking at. Everything I have seen is dated for August 29th.

I have a hunch that immigration have been gearing up for the new reason they say you need to state on the extension documents of "supporting Thai wife". This is the second year (extension done recently) where they stipulate what to write as the reason for the extension. This year they even have a rubber stamp : "supporting Thai wife"

Last year I was grilled extensively on my income, and how much I transferred into Thailand. I was asked for proof of internet banking, transfer docs and ATM receipts which were all cross checked against by Thai Bank. This despite having 400K in a separate account (in my name) fully seasoned and over 200K in daily Thai account.

Don't be surprised if the rules are amended formally to show a requirement that you are indeed supporting Thai wife on a monthly basis. Just having the 400k in the bank locked away, I suspect, will not be enough for the future. Watch this space. Edited by iancnx

I have a hunch that immigration have been gearing up for the new reason they say you need to state on the extension documents of "supporting Thai wife". This is the second year (extension done recently) where they stipulate what to write as the reason for the extension. This year they even have a rubber stamp : "supporting Thai wife"

Last year I was grilled extensively on my income, and how much I transferred into Thailand. I was asked for proof of internet banking, transfer docs and ATM receipts which were all cross checked against by Thai Bank. This despite having 400K in a separate account (in my name) fully seasoned and over 200K in daily Thai account.

Don't be surprised if the rules are amended formally to show a requirement that you are indeed supporting Thai wife on a monthly basis. Just having the 400k in the bank locked away, I suspect, will not be enough for the future. Watch this space.

I do a transfer from my UK account into her Bkk bank account for this reason.

• Like 1

Don't be surprised if the rules are amended formally to show a requirement that you are indeed supporting Thai wife on a monthly basis. Just having the 400k in the bank locked away, I suspect, will not be enough for the future. Watch this space.

I would not go by what officer ask you for to make the suggestion that they will change the rules. They have the right to ask you for additional proof already.

The future is here already and there have been no changes done.

I do a transfer from my UK account into her Bkk bank account for this reason.

I should have added that in previous years (pre 2013) the reason for extension I gave was "married to a Thai National" - this was always accepted. Last year this was crossed out by Immigration and substituted for "supporting Thai wife".

Just for info only and not to start any hare's running!
  • Like 2

I just looked on the immigration website and there is a document in Thai dated 25 July but is effective from 24 August 2014 that lists requirements for extensions of stay for each category. Under family category there is no mention of 400,000 baht, only reference to minimum income of 40, 000 baht per mnth

There has been no changes to clause 2.18 for the financial requirements. No sure what you were looking at. Everything I have seen is dated for August 29th.

This is what I am looking at (see attached file Thai language only)

www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=readmore&id=1921&section=notice

clause 2.18, top of Page 9, mentions bank deposit but no amount is specified. In case of husband is foreigner it only mentions they must have income of the 40k per mnth.

What is your source? what are you looking at?

Edited by Time Traveller

Well it's easier to fake a bank deposit than it is to fake income. It would be strange if they did stop accepting bank deposits, as one year I had my income documents refused by immigration they only wanted to see bank deposit. Go figure.

There were some reports a while back that immigration would not accept an account with 400k balance but no movement during the year - even if you can show another account, they expect you to be using the 400k, then 'topping up' from outside the country for the extension.

Who can guess what will happen in the future - the past few years have seen joint income allowed - then disallowed, joint accounts allowed then not, 40k income disallowed then allowed, some offices require 3 month seeding while the law states 2 months, stories of money above the 400k 'locked in' during the consideration period... blink.pngfacepalm.gif

clause 2.18, top of Page 9, mentions bank deposit but no amount is specified. In case of husband is foreigner it only mentions they must have income of the 40k per mnth.

I have a copy of a translation that states the exact same thing as the previous police order 777/2551. They only revised a few clauses.
For 2.18 they only put in a line about a person being able to apply for being under the maintenance of their.child. Until we get a clarification of it I do not want to paste in that line.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Did you read the heading. Nov 2004.

You will need to leave the country every 90 days.with a visa.

If you got a one year extension you would just make 90 day reports to immigration.

You will not get a multiple entry visa or an extension of stay unless you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization.

well thats very funny,after 5 years in thailand, i had to go back to france for 10 mounth last year then i ask a new visa non immigrant O in february  to return and the ambassy ask for my bank statment in france no less than 3000 euros, then gave 3 mounth visa only...year extension had to be applied in thailand....what i did.

it looks like the visa rules are not  the same depending where you coming from.blink.png

I wonder why no one makes up the math.

1400 GBP * 54 = 75600 Baht (/month?).

Thats way over the top even for a normal Non O visa?

Someone should tell them that the Pound made significant gains, its not 46 anymore tongue.png

In Berlin: 1200 EUR/month (953 GBP) or if not fullfilled 4000 EUR on the account(s).

For Non O visa based on marriage no financial req.

(sorry pound sign on my keyboard)

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have a copy of a translation that states the exact same thing as the previous police order 777/2551. They only revised a few clauses.
For 2.18 they only put in a line about a person being able to apply for being under the maintenance of their.child. Until we get a clarification of it I do not want to paste in that line.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Again, do you have a link to the English translation? Like I said I only have the Thai language version and there is no mention of 400,000 deposit.

In any case, I thought it was the Thai version that immigration goes off, not the english translation.

As always, lots of confusion about the difference between a Visa and an Extension.

Notes to remember:

1/  There is no such thing as a Marriage Visa.

2/ O Visa's (which are often issued to Married Men) rarely require proof of financials. Issued at a Thai Consulate or Emabssy outside Thailand.

3/ Unless you wish to leave after/every 90 days you will need an "extension of stay for the purpose of supporting a Thai spouse" (often mistakenly called a marriage visa) which you will get from your local immigration office in Thailand 1 month before the end of the last entry using your O Visa)

4/  The extension of stay will require you to get a letter from your consulate confirming your income, OR 400,000 baht in the bank.

Very good.  Thank you, technologybytes.

• Like 1

I read the Thai language version (not the url) posted 25/07/2014 and effective from 29/08/2014 (I put a typo in an earlier post with the wrong date). This is the most up to date list of the requriements. Go back to sleep harry. 

Edited by Time Traveller

The consultates wordwide seem to do their own math quite liberal.

No idea when and on which basis they convert the Thai Baht numbers to local currency.

E.g. in Berlin they had for a long time the requirement of 16000 EUR on the account(s) for the Non O-A visa (corresponding to the 800k Baht for retirement extension).

Even when the EUR/THB ratio had fallen significantly.

"Some day" they adjusted to 20000 EUR (today about 850000 Baht).

I read the Thai language version (not the url) posted 25/07/2014 and effective from 29/08/2014 (I put a typo in an earlier post with the wrong date). This is the most up to date list of the requriements. Go back to sleep harry. 

wish I could...I will not be able to sleep until I get a semi official translation rather than my rough one.

How about Thai VIsa repaying some of our loyalty by getting one done quickly and posting it here george.

• Like 1

wish I could...I will not be able to sleep until I get a semi official translation rather than my rough one.
How about Thai VIsa repaying some of our loyalty by getting one done quickly and posting it here george.

It is done but not ready for release yet. We are also waiting to get some answers from immigration to a few questions we have.

There are no changes that effect marriage or retirement extensions. Dependent extensions for OA visa entries will be possible.

If you are a professional football player you can get an extension now.

It is done but not ready for release yet. We are also waiting to get some answers from immigration to a few questions we have.

There are no changes that effect marriage or retirement extensions. Dependent extensions for OA visa entries will be possible.

If you are a professional football player you can get an extension now.

Minor issue, but one thing I noticed is for retirement extension income can be evidenced by, among other things, income from dividends. But for marriage extensions only pension income/bank interest and a few others are acceptable but not dividend income. 

So if you are at all abe to ask immigration, please ask why there is a lack of consistency between types of extensions and income evidence, and seondly why there is often discrepencies between the Thai language versions and the English langauge translations. 

• Like 1