Has the 400,000k requirement changed?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does say on Thai embassy London website.

That the embassy reserve the right to ask for additional documents.

That could mean anything

That's why I'm waiting till the 1st of September to apply for non O based on visiting kids.

Last 3 mo the statements all good.

Watch her come up with another feeble excuse.

There were some reports a while back that immigration would not accept an account with 400k balance but no movement during the year - even if you can show another account, they expect you to be using the 400k, then 'topping up' from outside the country for the extension.

And in this case that have account with 400k or more but don't have much money movements ... extension (one year) will be denied? Will be provide a 90days extension or will have to leave Thailand and ask for a new Non-O visa on a ambassy?

With regard to dividend income for the retirement extension, what kind of evidence immigration will ask for?

Dependent upon where you are from it would be your embassy that would be asking for the proof.

The best back up proof to an income letter is a Thai bank book showing regular transfers coming in. It does not have to be the full amount shown no the letter nor the 65k baht.

There were some reports a while back that immigration would not accept an account with 400k balance but no movement during the year - even if you can show another account, they expect you to be using the 400k, then 'topping up' from outside the country for the extension.

And in this case that have account with 400k or more but don't have much money movements ... extension (one year) will be denied? Will be provide a 90days extension or will have to leave Thailand and ask for a new Non-O visa on a ambassy?

There have been rare reports of some immigration wanting to see movement in the account. But most will just just look at the bank letter and then the bank book to confirm the money has been there for 60 days.

If they pushed the issue you could show other proof that you have the money coming in. In reality they would have no grounds for denying the extension since the rules state it just has to be in the bank.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is about to apply for his first marriage extension, using income as an employee. I see many posts on TV describing what looks to me a company owner applying. Can anyone please confirm the documents req'd if you are employed?

My understanding is the following:

Work permit.

Tax receipts (previous 3) for minimum 40k/month.

Letter from employer confirming employment and position, stating salary. English okay?

I use the money in the bank option so happy with the other requirements...

Thanks wai.gif

Varies from area to area, in my area (Phuket) it's all the usual Thai spouse papers plus:

Current Work Permit, PND 91 (annual tax return for previous year), most recent PND 1 (company monthly salary tax return showing your monthly income), Company Registration details from Department of Commerce (Company Affadavit).

Thanks.

What happens if it's a new company - there will be no PND91?

The Company Affidavit - is this in Thai, or English and is there a form number, standard layout?

Every consulate/embassy can and do decide for themselves what the criteria is for visa applications, the difference between applying for the same visa in different offices can be shocking.

MOST consulates do not require financial proof for a O visa.

As a general rule a Consulate is much friendlier than a Embassy, the smaller and less busy the consulate the better.

Hull Consulate in the UK (the oldest Thai hononrary consuate in the UK) used to be very easy going and would issue an O visa for the purpose of visiting Thai girlfriend, that changed a couple of years ago and now they have toughened up, and now like some other consulates they have added their own requirement for financial evidence.

Often if you dress appropriate and are very polite and keep smiling in a Thai consulate, you can find that the rules are flexible.  If you arrive in shorts and a vest and are rude then you may find the requirements are not at all flexible and just got harder.

an ATM bank from the machine slip on the way to the immigration office to confirm the amount in the bank’s statement

Do you mean that you were required to show a paper receipt of an ATM transaction that you had done on the same day of the extension of stay application?

By the way, there has never been a "400,000k" THB requirement. I think most people who have been living here would be shocked if there was as they would not qualify. Only members of the global elite could afford to show a minimum of 400M THB sitting in a Thai bank account.

1. YES. Samut Prakarn Immigration require a ATM slip to show that the balance on the slip tallies with the amount in the Bank Statement. So we withdraw Baht 100 on the way and show them the bank statement less the ATM slip for baht 100 tallies. OK for them.

2. WRONG. Baht 400k has been a requirement for some time. It used to be Baht 400k in your sole THAI bank account for 4 months prior but is now 2 months prior - see below.

6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service#     

an ATM bank from the machine slip on the way to the immigration office to confirm the amount in the bank’s statement

Do you mean that you were required to show a paper receipt of an ATM transaction that you had done on the same day of the extension of stay application?

By the way, there has never been a "400,000k" THB requirement. I think most people who have been living here would be shocked if there was as they would not qualify. Only members of the global elite could afford to show a minimum of 400M THB sitting in a Thai bank account.

1. YES. Samut Prakarn Immigration require a ATM slip to show that the balance on the slip tallies with the amount in the Bank Statement. So we withdraw Baht 100 on the way and show them the bank statement less the ATM slip for baht 100 tallies. OK for them.

2. WRONG. Baht 400k has been a requirement for some time. It used to be Baht 400k in your sole THAI bank account for 4 months prior but is now 2 months prior - see below.

6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Minimum of 400k in the bank is absolutely correct. I've just done my extension this way. I needed to provide a copy of a my bank book and a letter from my Thai bank to verify this. By the way, 400k is small money and I'm certainly not a member of the global elite. 

With regard to dividend income for the retirement extension, what kind of evidence immigration will ask for? 

There is another topic which has an "English translation" of the requirements for retirment 2.22,

Unfortunately they don't provide the Thai source document to verfiy the translation and the English is no help at all.

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 
stated above.
Edited by Time Traveller

There is another topic which has an "English translation" of the requirements for retirment 2.22,

Unfortunately they don't provide the Thai source document to verfiy the translation and the English is no help at all.

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 
stated above.

There are no changes to this clause in the new order.  This is the old one Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551  documents for extension of stay translated by Tilleke & Gibbins

There is the original in Thai posted in the topic that came from the immigration website as a notice dated July 25th.  http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php

stated above.

From what I can gather, this is the latest and will be implemented on 29th August 2014.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 stated above.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NONIM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month:

(or)

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no

less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must

have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no

less than 60 days prior to the filing date:

(or)

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000

If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

Edited by OZEMADE

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Sperm bank fixed deposit account? What if it's frozen? laugh.png

Edited by ParadiseLost

I already know about the 400k baht requirement, but have never heard about the supposed "400,000k" requirement. I wonder how many members here actually deposited 400M baht instead of 400k baht in order to qualify for extension of stay.

Minimum of 400k in the bank is absolutely correct. I've just done my extension this way. I needed to provide a copy of a my bank book and a letter from my Thai bank to verify this. By the way, 400k is small money and I'm certainly not a member of the global elite. 

My reference to "member of the global elite" was for the amount of "400,000k" baht (as stated in the title and original post), not 400k baht.

Got a Non Im. O  visa yesterday in Laos without showing the 400.000 in the bank, I had the bank book with me but they never asked me for it.

Single or Multi entry?

Vientane or Savannakhet ?

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Got a Non Im. O  visa yesterday in Laos without showing the 400.000 in the bank, I had the bank book with me but they never asked me for it.

Single or Multi entry?

Vientane or Savannakhet ?

Savannakhet, if you want one year visa (5000 THB) bring Sutibatt (birth certificate) copy of child and mothers ID card, Marriage document, consulate opens at 9.00 you get your visa back at 3.30 and you can be back in Thailand at 4.30 if you got a waiting taxi.

Am not married but have Thai child. Am I eligible?

Is this how the process works? Apply for tourist visa from outside of Thailand. Extend at immigration office in Thailand for 1 year, never having to leave the country and being able to fly in and out as I please

Which bank is best for this? Am not on any visa so not sure they would allow me to open account.

In order to get an extension of stay you must first have your parenthood legitimized you name on the birth certificate is not enough. See  How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

With your name on the birth certificate you can get a single entry non-o visas and 60 day extensions at immigration to visit your child.

After having the legitimization in order to get the extension you would first have a non-o visa. Or if you had a tourist visa you could apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok.and then apply for the extension.

If you are already here you could go to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa and extend the 90 day from it for 60 days to give you time to get the legitimization done.

You can open a bank account without a visa. You just would have try different banks and branches.

Thanks!

So just with the birth certificate, I can get 90 days + 60 day extension.

How long will they grant me once I get the legitimization done?