Transmission slips in Honda City

maphraw

I have a Honda City-5 years old, and the transmission has been slipping with some rather dramatic jerks. It has just started doing this. My guess is to take it to the Honda dealer and have them check it out. Some of my colleagues suggest that the fluid needs to be changed or it could be leaking. I am afraid that the Honda people may exaggerate the problem and claim I need very expensive repairs/parts. Anyone have any experience with similar problem? Thanks.

First thing to do is check the fluid, if your not sure how to do so ask a friend.

you might be lucky and it may just have run low,when checking the dip stick the fluid should a red wine color.

if its is black it needs changing quickly, drive it for another few weeks like this and it will cost you a fortune.

buy not checking it and having it jerking your doing all kinds of damage inside the autobox.

No doubt honda will take you to the cleaners,and at 5 years old its out of warranty.

i suggest you make a post looking for an independent autobox repair shop. lots of them around.

Good luck

...you haven't added fluid by yourself maybe, and overfilled? creates simliar symptoms to the fluid going low.

Even your Manual might describe their recommended sequence for fluid level checking; much like what transam said...

. in the old mazda, as an example,it goes... runengine/drive car so that the transmission has reached a working temperature.

Start in Park, on a level surface.

Go through a particular sequence if it is suggested in the Manual ie my mazda's: - N-P-N-R-1-N-2-N-D-N , noting they mention passing back again to the Neutral position after a few seconds at each position.

I am not sure what a CVT means but my Honda City is an automatic transmission. I took the car to the Honda dealer and they checked the transmission fluid and it was OK. That's all they did. The car hasn't experienced any slips or jumps like it did yesterday while driving to work. I drove it to the Honda dealer and then back to work and then home and there was no slipping or jerking in the transmission. Maybe what happened on the way to work yesterday was just a fluke. One can hope.

I am not sure what a CVT means but my Honda City is an automatic transmission. I took the car to the Honda dealer and they checked the transmission fluid and it was OK. That's all they did. The car hasn't experienced any slips or jumps like it did yesterday while driving to work. I drove it to the Honda dealer and then back to work and then home and there was no slipping or jerking in the transmission. Maybe what happened on the way to work yesterday was just a fluke. One can hope.

There is no such thing as a fluke transmission slip. It's a sign that something is wrong.

I owned a 2005 accord 2.4 once. It started having a jerk while shifting from gear 1 to 2. I immediately changed the transmission fluid and things got better. However, the transmission still died on me 2 months later.

Just go to a workshop to change your transmission fluid. Preventive maintenance is better than cure!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am not sure what a CVT means but my Honda City is an automatic transmission.

if it is 2009 yes OK conventional auto. Jazz used to have CVT?

Think the New City and Jazz are now back with CVT ? sure I read that a few months ago..

• 1 year later...

Anyone know of a good transmission shop in Phuket town, Chalong or Rawai? My 1993 Honda Accord clunks and grinds when put in reverse. Honda dealer says bad axle shaft. My regular mechanic says nope; not the axle; bad transmission. Looking for a third opinion from a professional transmission shop. FYI: Honda Phuket spent a couple of hours diagnosing all the problems with my Honda and charged me nothing. Told me to go to BK and buy second hand parts.

Archived