Lift off the throttle/accelerator

Why do Samui drivers find it impossible to "lift off" On several occaisions recently, whilst sitting in the centre of the road with my turn right indicator flashing, both cars and motorbikes have gone right out into oncoming traffic to overtake rather than lift off and pass on the inside. It is almost as though they are saving loss of face rather than give way, also i often get overtaken only to have the overtaker immediately cut across me to do a left turn or stop, both rather than lift off behind me and turn or stop safely. facepalm.giffacepalm.gifw00t.gif

You will notice that Thai's never stop in the centre of the road when turning right as we are taught back home for this reason. They all pull over to the left and wait till there is nothing coming before turning right. As wrong as this seems to us Farangs experience has taught me to do as the Thai's do and live a little longer thumbsup.gif

I put it down to the Thai's never looking further ahead on the road than half a metre in front of their bonnet. That is why they have so many accidents and why they go screaming up to traffic lights that are red only to see this at the last minute and either jump on the brakes or simply go through them. Or in your case look up to see you sat there in the middle of the road waiting to turn right with no chance of stopping so just drive past you on the right.

• Like 2

I put it down to the Thai's never looking further ahead on the road than half a metre in front of their bonnet. That is why they have so many accidents and why they go screaming up to traffic lights that are red only to see this at the last minute and either jump on the brakes or simply go through them. Or in your case look up to see you sat there in the middle of the road waiting to turn right with no chance of stopping so just drive past you on the right.

Time and time and time again - several times every day - this happens to me.

I want to turn to the right, off the ring-road and up into a side soi. I check my mirror and there is a car on my ass, so I begin to indicate 60 or 70 metres before I need to slow down. I move to the center of the road and come slowly to a stop, leaving enough space for even big trucks to pass me on the inside.

But - lo and behold - the car that was behind me 100 metres before is still right on my ass, stuck there and now completely unable to swing out to pass me on the left.

It even happens that I am already THERE - stopped and waiting to turn right - and a car will come from out of the distance, right up to my bumper and stop behind me. Utterly, totally beyond belief!

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

You can't knock the Thai's really for their driving skills as they don't know any better and most have never had a lesson or got a license. As Roo says it is the farang who drive like the Thai that rub me up as they DO know better. It has taken me a few years now to get the wife to look ahead and anticipate any problems thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Time and time and time again - several times every day - this happens to me.

I want to turn to the right, off the ring-road and up into a side soi. I check my mirror and there is a car on my ass, so I begin to indicate 60 or 70 metres before I need to slow down. I move to the center of the road and come slowly to a stop, leaving enough space for even big trucks to pass me on the inside.

But - lo and behold - the car that was behind me 100 metres before is still right on my ass, stuck there and now completely unable to swing out to pass me on the left.

It even happens that I am already THERE - stopped and waiting to turn right - and a car will come from out of the distance, right up to my bumper and stop behind me. Utterly, totally beyond belief!

Amazing Thailand.

They don't look ahead and anticipate and only focus , I think , 1metre ahead of their front bumper and no further which is why they have to break , if you are following them , every 5 seconds crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I have had lifts with Thais driving that really have no perception of the width of their car or what is happening more than 10 metres in advance , quite scary

Edited by churchill
  • Like 1

I give them 25 meters and call it a severe problem with closure rate.

Edited by Gonsalviz

You will notice that Thai's never stop in the centre of the road when turning right as we are taught back home for this reason. They all pull over to the left and wait till there is nothing coming before turning right. As wrong as this seems to us Farangs experience has taught me to do as the Thai's do and live a little longer thumbsup.gif

I have noticed the opposite to be the “normal Thai-behavior of a right-hand turn” – Okay some just stop in the middle of the left lane and stops everything, scared to get too close to the opposite side traffic… facepalm.gif

Edit: Don’t expect to change the Thai-driving, aliens are guests – be aware of a different traffic culture and learn how to adapt and avoid accidents…

Edited by Rooo
font
  • Like 2

I have noticed the opposite to be the “normal Thai-behavior of a right-hand turn” – Okay some just stop in the middle of the left lane and stops everything, scared to get too close to the opposite side traffic… facepalm.gif

Edit: Don’t expect to change the Thai-driving, aliens are guests – be aware of a different traffic culture and learn how to adapt and avoid accidents…

Note to all foreigners - and please do not lower your own standards to try and outdo the locals. Why not set a good example?

KhunPer - I actually think that the local standards are improving in some areas.

When I first came to the island, I never found a Thai driver that would let me out of a side road or give way to me on a bridge. Likewise, when I waved locals through - there was never an aknowlegement.

Now, more often than not, the locals actually say thank you when I give way to them and I quite often see the local drivers letting traffic out of side roads/turnings. Even the ocassional taxi driver does it. shock1.gif

• Like 2

In the Uk I used to drive around 1100 miles a week around the UK and often in Europe. I hated it. So stressful. Having to constantly look for traffic cars or speed cameras and utterly ignorant drivers made my average travel speed 40 miles an hour. That is the speed I used to calculate my arrival time. here in Thailand I find driving on the major roads fairly stress free. Plenty of rest stops and cheap, good food unlike back home and the one time I was stopped for cough, cough, alleged speeding it was sorted there and then for 200 Baht unlike back home where it would not only cost me an arm and a leg but points on my license and more expensive insurance.

I find if you drive at a speed that allows you to react to Thai driving there is no problem wink.png

Note to all foreigners - and please do not lower your own standards to try and outdo the locals. Why not set a good example?

KhunPer - I actually think that the local standards are improving in some areas.

When I first came to the island, I never found a Thai driver that would let me out of a side road or give way to me on a bridge. Likewise, when I waved locals through - there was never an aknowlegement.

Now, more often than not, the locals actually say thank you when I give way to them and I quite often see the local drivers letting traffic out of side roads/turnings. Even the ocassional taxi driver does it. shock1.gif

»I quite often see the local drivers letting traffic out of side roads/turnings. Even the ocassional taxi driver does it.«
That is so true – and most Thais are very polite in the traffic, but they still give signal to the wrong side, or all the time, so take care out there… whistling.gif
And by the way, with the word “adapt” I don’t suggest that anyone should begin driving like some Thais do, just adept to understand the Thai behavior, like for example what flashing front lights means and giving way for a car taking over… smile.png

By trade I am a Tactical Driving Instructor for 16 years and 30+ years driving experience, out of which 8 multiple car racing disciplines.
In my opinion, one of the most dangerous aspects in this driving landscape, not limited to Koh Phangan traffic though, is the heavy tinted side windows, and some time I have seen the windshields, thus rendering the other participants unable to identify, predict and take an action based on the visual cues provided by the other drivers. Moreover, the heavy tint gives a false sense of comfort to the driver in the sense that no one can see what he/she is doing in the car, therefore he/she is going to manifest a wide range of distracted behavior like talking on the phone, drinking, eating, having the children on their lap, unsafe driving postures, etc, etc.

Because they (the locals) are not what you would call "a highway driver", the fact they are not used to the traffic lights, combined with the fact that most of them (80%?) never attended any kind of driving courses, their focus and attention spam does not go beyond 5-10 seconds in front of their vehicle. Thus total foreign of the concept "Space Management and Zone Control".

With that being said, I believe that the tourists represent, for themselves and for the locals, a greater threat (danger) then the local pose for the tourists.
Let me tell you why I believe that.....

The tourists are from......well...all over the world, thus a non homogenized mass of participants to the traffic, coming with their own concept of driving, their own bad driving behavior that tends to exacerbate here in Thailand due to the lax presence of the police and/or other traffic enforcement methods.

I believe that over 70% of the tourists, participants to the traffic, have "0" experience driving scooters/motorcycles, they do not posses a valid permit and/or license for the scooters/motorcycles; maybe the same percentage have never experienced "left hand driving", and we all know it takes a lot of time to rewire your brain and retrain your reflexes and automate gestures, etc. Not to mention those youngsters that think they will inherit the world, didn't we all think that when we were 20?, going wild, fast and reckless on an unfamiliar road approaching tide turns at speeds they can barely control, trying to prove to their friends they know what they are doing (until they don't know what to do anymore)

With all my driving experience and passion for the cars and motorcycles, I found myself in embarrassing situations in the first 2-3 days, when every time I was passing another vehicle on the road I was using the wiper stalk, found myself in the wrong gear, on a momentary lapse of concentration I found myself driving on the wrong side of the road, especially at the intersections.

So let the locals drive the way they are, and they will ever do, lift off the throttle a good 25%, keep some more distance, allow yourself a longer anticipation/reaction/execution time and we'll all be fine. After all this is Koh Phangan, no one needs to attend any business meetings or maintain a tide schedule!!! No hurry, No worry!

Drive Safe!
ขับรถปลอดภัย

K̄hạb rt̄h plxdp̣hạy

ездить безопасно

Guidate con prudenza!
Fahre Vorsichtig
Conduceti cu Prudenta
Conduire Prudemment

Maneje con cuidado
安全驾驶

Edited by marinpa
  • Like 1

So let the locals drive the way they are, and they will ever do, lift off the throttle a good 25%, keep some more distance, allow yourself a longer anticipation/reaction/execution time and we'll all be fine. After all this is Koh Phangan, no one needs to attend any business meetings or maintain a tide schedule!!! No hurry, No worry!

If you drive slow and keep your distance, expect to see a local in a truck right up your arse, flashing their high beams at you and attempting to run you off the road for driving too slow. Also, they will force themselves into the space between you and the car in front because by only going 10km/h over the limit instead of 50 you are literally ruining their lives.

Edited by pokerspiv

If you drive slow and keep your distance, expect to see a local in a truck right up your arse, flashing their high beams at you and attempting to run you off the road for driving too slow. Also, they will force themselves into the space between you and the car in front because by only going 10km/h over the limit instead of 50 you are literally ruining their lives.

Strongly disagree with your statement. It seams to be (at best) an exaggeration. I am riding motorcycle for two weeks in Koh Phangan, never, ever had any driver or any other participant to the local traffic exhibiting the named behavior. If I were a Koh Phangan taxi driver and I would see you driving a scooter/motorcycle in the middle of the lane or to the very right of the lane, for no reason and in a constant manner, I would flash you too. No single person in their right mind is trying to run anyone of the road for driving too slow. The statement could be generally valid on London's roads as there is a visceral hate between cyclists and motorists but not here in this part of the world.

Now, the taxi drivers, anywhere in the world, and I am sure Koh Phangan ones are no exception, have a sense of entitlement. Because the road is basically their place of business. Unlike us, the tourists of Koh Phagan, the taxi drivers are not out on the road to admire the landscape, stop for the elefants, or stop in the middle of the road to take pictures of the monkeys. They are not out on the street to have fun but fed their families. In their opinion, you have all the time in the world.....if you get to your destination half hour early or late, makes no difference for you as a tourist, for him on the other hand, every minute on the road counts.

I strongly believe that the key of a safe driving/riding environment is politeness, respect and understanding. In one word, COURTESY

I am not even talking about riding a motorcycle. I am talking about when I am driving in my car, and staying a safe distance of 30-40m behind the car in front of me. This is liking waving a red rag at a bull. Thai drivers simply cannot understand why you are not overtaking the car in front and will act accordingly.

Because the road is basically their place of business. Unlike us, the tourists of Koh Phagan, the taxi drivers are not out on the road to admire the landscape, stop for the elefants, or stop in the middle of the road to take pictures of the monkeys.

I'm not a tourist mate. I have lived here for 9 years. When I am on the road, I am there because I have things to do too. But that's no excuse for driving like an idiot. People will simply go to any lengths to justify bad behaviour by Thais on this board. The reason they are such aggressive drivers is because they have poor impulse control. It's not because their drive is that much more important than mine. Just self-centredness, pure and simple.

And BTW I am talking about Samui, not Phangan. Very few of the cars are taxis. And in my experience privately owned trucks are much more of a problem than taxi drivers. Their only thought seems to be "my car is bigger, so you move". That's all there is to it. And the same thing applies whether you are on the Samui ring road or the highway to Bangkok.

Edited by pokerspiv

I am not even talking about riding a motorcycle. I am talking about when I am driving in my car, and staying a safe distance of 30-40m behind the car in front of me. This is liking waving a red rag at a bull. Thai drivers simply cannot understand why you are not overtaking the car in front and will act accordingly.

Because the road is basically their place of business. Unlike us, the tourists of Koh Phagan, the taxi drivers are not out on the road to admire the landscape, stop for the elefants, or stop in the middle of the road to take pictures of the monkeys.

I'm not a tourist mate. I have lived here for 9 years. When I am on the road, I am there because I have things to do too. But that's no excuse for driving like an idiot. People will simply go to any lengths to justify bad behaviour by Thais on this board. The reason they are such aggressive drivers is because they have poor impulse control. It's not because their drive is that much more important than mine. Just self-centredness, pure and simple.

And BTW I am talking about Samui, not Phangan. Very few of the cars are taxis. And in my experience privately owned trucks are much more of a problem than taxi drivers. Their only thought seems to be "my car is bigger, so you move". That's all there is to it. And the same thing applies whether you are on the Samui ring road or the highway to Bangkok.

My dear friends,

This is what I would like everyone to put into perspective:

Public roads are not a place for pissing contest.

When we are on the road, either for business or pleasure, the object of the game is that at the end of the day we all go home to our loved ones, safe and sound. Even the ones that make mistakes on the road or are not very skilled drivers, even the ones that from time to time are distracted while driving deserve to hug their children at the end of the day.

PokerSpiv my friend, I can see why anyone, regardless Thai or not, can get frustrated with your following distance. Leaving a distance between vehicles of 30-40 could be called anything but safe.

Generally speaking the following distance is dictated by the speed traffic, road conditions, flow of the traffic, etc. The rule of thumb is a 2 seconds followup distance. Or if we drive at 50 km/h in the city, our distance should be no smaller than 27 meters. The slower you drive the more this distance need to decrease (ex: 40 km/h - 22 m; 30 km/h - 17 m; etc)

As for the described temperamental attributes of the Thai people, my friend there is only thing I can say: When you choose to live among the lions, you roar, if you choose to live with the dogs you bark, if you live with the chickens, well.. .. you better start learning how to squirm.

Listen, I will be here in Phangan for few more weeks and if you want, one of those days, we can meet, spend couple of hours in the car, try to identify some problems and find some solutions. It will be my pleasure!

Generally speaking the following distance is dictated by the speed traffic, road conditions, flow of the traffic, etc. The rule of thumb is a 2 seconds followup distance. Or if we drive at 50 km/h in the city, our distance should be no smaller than 27 meters. The slower you drive the more this distance need to decrease (ex: 40 km/h - 22 m; 30 km/h - 17 m; etc)

Could you be any more patronising?

Tell me then: If I am going 60km/h, how far behind should I be? 30-40m, exactly like I said?

I didn't ask for your advice and it was worthless anyway.

• Like 1

I find that one of the major problems here is the variety of speeds that people drive. I would say about 20% of the drivers out there find it totally acceptable to do 60 kph on the open highway (and brake for every corner no matter how slight) regardless that they are often driving very new and capable vehicles. And then there is about 10% that like to be stay over 120 kph on the same roads, and another 5% that are bat sheet crazy and would be dangerous all by themselves in a parking lot. There are also a lot of amphetamine enhanced truck and bus drivers that truly believe that they alone have the right to be there. Put them all together on a winding stretch of roads with few places to overtake safely and you have the wild west atmosphere that we experience every day.

I don't know what the cure would be for the slow drivers. Perhaps some have no confidence and will get better. But many I am sure just treat driving like walking in the mall. They do everything at half speed and the flow of traffic is meaningless to them.

Obviously some traffic enforcement would help sort out some of the maniacs and Darwin is working on this as well.

Simple answer, just keep turning left until you get where you want to go smile.png

I'm sure I read a story once about a woman with a right turn phobia..? Can't remember which country she was in but that is exactly what she would do...

Not sure which country either, but I believe she might still be there.

»Their only thought seems to be "my car is bigger, so you move".«
You are an alien in a foreign country; you need to know the Thai-way-of-thinking… smile.png
Quote from the Book “Thai Law for Foreigners” written by two Thai lawyers, page 95, about Driving in Thailand:
(cic)
An unwritten law of driving in Thailand is the hierarchy of vehicles. It is similar to the class system, in which the person with highest social rank or class receives the most respect. On the road, the largest vehicle gets the right of way. A truck or bus has priority over a car…
whistling.gif