Lift off the throttle/accelerator

Except it's not an "unwritten law" at all, it's a direct violation of the actual written law.

Pokerspiv, it was just an explanation to one of your complaints.
Agree in, that we are used to very reasonable traffic rules from “home”, but we can stand on whatever we think is Law or right, this is Thailand and if we want to be safe in the traffic, we must to accept that we are uninvited guests here only and the Thais drive the way they do – I believe that’s more easy than a farang try to change the Thai-way-of-driving traffic behavior.
And by the way, there are several Thai laws that you don’t see enforced. That also reminds me of what one the islands top Thai lawyers once said to me, one of them that normally can fix any problem with only one phone call, he said that one thing is what they (the parliament) writes in a law up at Bangkok, another ting is that there is long way down to Samui, where the local behavior, the “unwritten” law, has more power than whatever they may say up there…
Please let me continue the quote from the above-mentioned book, it does also make sense to some of the traffic behavior we see at Samui, especially when a truck – or Mercedes or any higher status vehicle than your own – in the opposite direction lane flashes the head light:
(cic)
…On the road the largest vehicle get the right of way. A truck or a bus has priority over a car. A motorcycle or tuk-tuk must allow a taxi pass first – or suffer the consequences. And a pedestrian has absolutely no business even thinking of crossing a street. If you don’t follow this primary rule of the road, you will quickly find yourself in trouble. Add to this mix of potholes, large number of one-way streets, vendors’ carts, intoxicated pedestrians, and the occasional elephant, and you may start to agree that public transportation or a taxi in Bangkok and the other cities is a safer choice.
(cic)
–and from the next page:
(cic)
The other type of roads is the simple two-lane paved road with one-meter-wide shoulder. As you drive along in your lane, something traveling in the opposite direction may want to pass a slower driver. In Thailand there is another unwritten rule that of someone is coming in the opposite direction and they want to pass a slower vehicle, they can use your lane to pass and you are expected to pull onto the side shoulder to get out of the way. To add to this, when you try to move out of the way onto the shoulder, you may find a motorcycle driving next to you. Since small motorcycles typically are not powerful enough to keep up with the traffic flow; they normally use the shoulder of the road, thus you have to time your sideways movement to avoid a head on collision and also be in between the mopeds moving alongside you so you don’t bump one of them off the road.
(cic)
  • Like 1

Except it's not an "unwritten law" at all, it's a direct violation of the actual written law.

Pokerspiv, it was just an explanation to one of your complaints.
Agree in, that we are used to very reasonable traffic rules from “home”, but we can stand on whatever we think is Law or right, this is Thailand and if we want to be safe in the traffic, we must to accept that we are uninvited guests here only and the Thais drive the way they do – I believe that’s more easy than a farang try to change the Thai-way-of-driving traffic behavior.

Sure. I was just responding to Roo's apologism, where he suggests that Farangs are just as bad as Thais, if not worse. Completely untrue. Never saw a Farang driver who thought he had right of way because he paid more for his car, but it's standard from Thais.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 2

Deleted a couple of bickering posts , this is a topic for all to read & not your personal insult exchange venue.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Also deleted a post with demeaning remarks about Thais & Thailand.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Offending posts will be deleted from now on with no further notice.

Funny so true not only Thais but forangs also seems to rather crash and stop than stop to let someone out

Yesterday was driving on busy road

Car turning right so I have to go left round him

But have bike over taking a bike on the inside lane then some crazy forang with a forang bird ok the bag over taking me in the right hand side at night speed weaving in and out of a traffic mess

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Sure. I was just responding to Roo's apologism, where he suggests that Farangs are just as bad as Thais, if not worse. Completely untrue. Never saw a Farang driver who thought he had right of way because he paid more for his car, but it's standard from Thais.

Have you ever been to Makro?

I go every day, almost everyday I see falang that must park their fortuners sideways over two spots.

On the road I, like you never see bad falang drivers as they have tinted their windows black. facepalm.gif

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I doubt if this warrants a new thread so i'll post here under the heading "I couldn't believe my eyes" :

- @1910hrs this evening as I crested the hill into Naton from Maenam I noticed a light in my blind spot a little too close for comfort.

- Within seconds a bloke on a motorcy had overtaken me, passing within half a meter & cutting in as he did so.

- As he straightened & while still in my headlights & on dashcam* I noticed an open bottle of Singha in his left hand. He took a couple of swigs before speeding off at high speed one handed.

*Mine doesn't have a second lense facing inwards. If it did it would have captured me doing this to a rather colourful soundtrack......

8312402286_29c043d6b0_z.jpg

Edited by evadgib

Have you ever been to Makro?

I go every day, almost everyday I see falang that must park their fortuners sideways over two spots.

On the road I, like you never see bad falang drivers as they have tinted their windows black. facepalm.gif

Actually I think, that every 5-8 car is driving by a Farang. I see Farangs driving bad daily. There are the old, nervous drivers, there are the rent a car drivers (e.g. on the wrong side), there are the racer ones with open windows and elbows on these, there are some nervous Farang women driving to quick, there are some, who drive like in Europe and get angry, if some drives like in Thailand etc etc.
Edited by Birdman

At the other end of the spectrum...Yesterday stuck behind someone driving Reaaaally slowly, who then decides to just stop (double parked), and only decides to use the indicator when others start sounding their horns.

Off topic, but road related: What is the score with the lake road roundabout and right of way?

I drive in the UK so same side of the road as here, but the Thais don't stop at the "give way" lines on the roundabout. They drive onto the roundabout, then stop just before the entry of the car on their left.

At the other end of the spectrum...Yesterday stuck behind someone driving Reaaaally slowly, who then decides to just stop (double parked), and only decides to use the indicator when others start sounding their horns.

that's normal. Big Pick Up stopped exactly at the dangerous Bandon Hospital Rd/Ghost Rd and driver disappeared slowly into the 7/11 on that corner. Similar situation at the small khao man gai restaurant next to the corner opp. Fisherman's Village main entrance: driver stopped the car on the street and went for a nice meal....laugh.png