Advice Request - More days needed in Thailand.

I have a friend of a friend who is in Bkk now ... who needs advice on how to stay in Thailand the needed time. 

Situation:  Over age 50 years man arrived in Bkk in the last few days of July.  His 30 day Exemption expires on 27 August as stamped on his passport.   His return flight to the USA is October 28.

He just wants enough days to cover until October 28 to catch his flight.

I have read of the additional Exemption of 30 more days to begin August 29.  If this really comes about - could he apply for it before August 27 his current Exemption expiry date?  Or does anyone even know yet?  If this were possible then he could do one border run for a 30 days Extension - or is that back down to 15 days?  ... But if this plan turned out to even be workable, it does not sound good as it would perhaps not add up to the needed total days. And all in all a bit of a hassle.

Better Plan - Getting a Single Entry Tourist Visa in the near region would seem like a better solution.  He could fly out between now and August 27 get the Tourist Visa and return with plenty of days to get past his return flight date of October 28.

In this regard ... where is a good place to go get a single entry Tourist Visa in the near region ...Phnom Phen, Vientaine, Kuala Lumpur  --- or can he go to Savannaket?  

This man has no complications in his passport / visa ... no recent entries, ins / outs etc.  Totally clear. 

Also ... he was advised to get a visa before coming but due to some issues - health and otherwise he did not... So shoulda - woulda is not helpful.. He'll get it right before coming next time - next year... 

Advise Please ... as he needs to make flight plans now to go get the tourist visa as the clock runs fast.  Thanks to all of you kind folks.

He'll need to exit and get a tourist visa. Any embassy/consulate should be ok for this.

Yes thank you.. I am just looking for suggestions as to which one... Savannaket would be a good land travel one - but I do not know if a tourist visa can be done there... I assume it can -- but I do not like to assume things ... 

There is no chance of getting the new 30 extension for a via exempt entry.

The best choice is for him to get a tourist visa. Vientiane or Penang would be the best choices for getting it.

Edit: Savannakhet will do it also and they are doing them on the same day you apply.. But unless he is already up here in the NE the other two are easier to travel to.

There is no chance of getting the new 30 extension for a via exempt entry.

The best choice is for him to get a tourist visa. Vientiane or Penang would be the best choices for getting it.

Yes - Thanks for confirming that the very 'ify' idea of the added visa exempt days was not a workable idea.

I will likely advise my friend to go to Vientiane and perhaps use some time to see the area around Nong Khai and the Mekong... 

Thanks again.,  

He'll need to exit and get a tourist visa. Any embassy/consulate should be ok for this.

Why can the person not get an extension? I thought prior to end of August the 7 day extensions were still available. 

He needs more days than available extensions would give him... from August 27 to October 28 

Why can the person not get an extension? I thought prior to end of August the 7 day extensions were still available. 

Yes, 7 day extension would be available, but not really helpful in this case.