Flammable Thingy in Fortuner Engine Bay

ford8

Going for a minor service for a friend's Fortuner, the service guy showed me a thing (see pic) that was stuffed between engine and cab.

Anyone please know what it was ?

Seemed a bit odd that it had been smouldering

The owner is abroad and never opens the hood.

Thank You

What that is Buddha only knows as all there is behind a Fortuner engine is a gap fluctuating between 2 & 4" then a black heat guard connected to the bulk head nothing silver at all so your chum must have put it there or at least someone did.

not so fireproof noise / heat reducer... maybe our Toyota expert Transam can spin it correctly lol

It's an oil can.........laugh.png

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I was jesting.....The silvery burnt thing was a foil covered Kebab the owner but there to keep warm to get home, AND forgot about it......Fancy forgetting about a Kebab....w00t.gif

• Like 1

Heat reflective blanket to keep air filter housing cool.Better for engine.Put back and secure correctly.

Sorry but if you don't know please don't suggest.
I don't know what Fortuner your looking at model year could be a help.

But I can tell you there in Nothing I repeat NOTHING Silver like that under a Fortuner bonnet the only bit other than paint is a Black heat/sound diffuser attached to the bulk head and you would need a crow bar to get that off.
The large black cover over the intercooler does have a padding attached to the underside but that's Black as well.

As regards the air filter that also doesn't have any form of heat diffusor or in your words reflective blanket it's miles away from the engine so wouldn't need one.

So I go by my first statement some bugger has put something there that shouldn't be there.
Don't what ever you do put anything that resembles that burnt up bit back. Edited by fredob43

Sorry but if you don't know please don't suggest.
I don't know what Fortuner your looking at model year could be a help.

But I can tell you there in Nothing I repeat NOTHING Silver like that under a Fortuner bonnet the only bit other than paint is a Black heat/sound diffuser attached to the bulk head and you would need a crow bar to get that off.
The large black cover over the intercooler does have a padding attached to the underside but that's Black as well.

As regards the air filter that also doesn't have any form of heat diffusor or in your words reflective blanket it's miles away from the engine so wouldn't need one.

So I go by my first statement some bugger has put something there that shouldn't be there.
Don't what ever you do put anything that resembles that burnt up bit back.

I told 'em,................. it was his kebab keeping warm....licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif ...............laugh.png

I thought all that sound proofing stuff with "foil" was fire proof, unless it was put on the wrong way round perhaps. Where the stuff was found there is nothing hot............

I would say it was fitted to reduce noise and not fitted correctly which is no real surprise, with travel wind is going to send it where it ended up tucked down behind engine and buckhead.

I thought all that sound proofing stuff with "foil" was fire proof, unless it was put on the wrong way round perhaps. Where the stuff was found there is nothing hot............

I would say it was fitted to reduce noise and not fitted correctly which is no real surprise, with travel wind is going to send it where it ended up tucked down behind engine and buckhead.

I like you blanket idea just one small problem if you used it on a Toyota it would cover the intercooler. New turbo anyone.

I like you blanket idea just one small problem if you used it on a Toyota it would cover the intercooler. New turbo anyone.

Yeah well i'm with you on new things I don't even like ABS.laugh.png

• Like 1