Converting a tourist visa to a non b visa

No, the Tourist Visa is dead when you exit Thailand and has nothing to do with the "B" Visa. Take the documents provided by the company, go to a Consulate outside Thailand and apply for the new visa. I don't where you guys come up with the term "convert", they are separate visas, separate actions involved and they have nothing to do with each other..

Edited by beechguy

No, the Tourist Visa is dead when you exit Thailand and has nothing to do with the "B" Visa. Take the documents provided by the company, go to a Consulate outside Thailand and apply for the new visa. I don't where you guys come up with the term "convert", they are separate visas, separate actions involved and they have nothing to do with each other..

Actually a single entry tourist visa is "dead" and cancelled as soon as you enter the country. Your stay in the country is then dependent on your permission to stay stamp given you by immigrations. If you wish to extend your stay before exiting, you would then apply to immigrations for an extension of stay, not an extension of the used/dead visa.

Is it possible to convert a tourist visa to a non b visa outside of Thailand?

If you intend to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, it is possible to have a tourist visa "converted" to a Non-Imm O as a first step in the process of getting the retirement extension, assuming you meet the requirements, otherwise visas are not convertible or renewable.

If you apply for a Non-Imm B visa at an embassy or consulate, but your application would have nothing to do with your previous Tourist Visa. If you have a multiple entry tourist visa with further entries still valid for use, the embassy/consulate may want to cancel that before granting the business visa. I don't think you can have two different valid visas at the same time in your passport.

Edited by Suradit69

Actually a single entry tourist visa is "dead" and cancelled as soon as you enter the country. Your stay in the country is then dependent on your permission to stay stamp given you by immigrations. If you wish to extend your stay before exiting, you would then apply to immigrations for an extension of stay, not an extension of the used/dead visa.

If you intend to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, it is possible to have a tourist visa "converted" to a Non-Imm O as a first step in the process of getting the retirement extension, assuming you meet the requirements, otherwise visas are not convertible or renewable.

If you apply for a Non-Imm B visa at an embassy or consulate, but your application would have nothing to do with your previous Tourist Visa. If you have a multiple entry tourist visa with further entries still valid for use, the embassy/consulate may want to cancel that before granting the business visa. I don't think you can have two different valid visas at the same time in your passport.

Thank you for being more precise, I'm aware the visa is used upon entry, just didn't word my explanation very well. But, I also am not sure the Tourist Visa is being converted into anything, even in an application for an extension of stay, one is still applying for a separate visa. Correct?

Thank you for being more precise, I'm aware the visa is used upon entry, just didn't word my explanation very well. But, I also am not sure the Tourist Visa is being converted into anything, even in an application for an extension of stay, one is still applying for a separate visa. Correct?

An Extension of Permission to Stay is not a Visa (which allows you to present to enter Thailand), that's why you need a re-entry permit to keep the extension 'alive' if you need to exit/re-enter Thailand within the valid extension period.

Thank you, I never said the extension was a visa, and I'm well aware of how the extensions/re-entry permits work. They can't give a one year extension on a Tourist Visa, part of that process is to apply, and receive a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, so that stay can be extended. So, my point is, the Tourist Visa isn't being converted to anything, And, yes, that is why I said applying for a visa, not the extension. I'll try to post more clearly next time.

Edited by beechguy

I presume that you wish to convert to a Non-B because you have found employment ? If so, your employer can provide the paperwork and your tourist visa can be converted to a Non-B at Chaeng Wattana. (this can even be done with a visa exempt entry).

An Extension of Permission to Stay is not a Visa (which allows you to present to enter Thailand), that's why you need a re-entry permit to keep the extension 'alive' if you need to exit/re-enter Thailand within the valid extension period. You also need a re-entry permit to keep a single entry visa valid if you want to leave the country

Wrong

-------------------------------

Technically I think that is correct.

What I believe they do is give you a 90 day Non O which is enough time for you to get your retirement paperwork together and establish a bank account (if you need one) to file for a one year retirement extension later.

I'm not sure about that, however, as I originally came here with a one year multi entry Non O that I extended after one year for a retirement extension.

Beechguy, i say convert because i will have 3 more months left on my double entry tourist visa when i apply for a non b visa.

Beechguy, i say convert because i will have 3 more months left on my double entry tourist visa when i apply for a non b visa.

You presumably want the non immigrant 'b' visa to pick up a Work Permit, so the second entry balance of your double entry tourist visa will be of no use to you.

Un-used visas cannot be used as credit against any new visa applied for and will be in fact be cancelled.

Wrong

No, I'm correct, if you have a problem with that, contact a Moderator.

As Digitalchromakey explained, that Tourist Visa, the second part will be cancelled. So, no, you aren't converting anything.

convert at chaeng wattana

You don't convert, you get a new visa.

Yes - of course - a distinction without much of a difference... but let us quibble ... the fricken result is the same regardless of the way one might state the obvious in this particular circumstance... Why oh why do so many people on TVF insist on being a bit OCD over such an insignificant issue ? ... Can any of you help the guy to reach the END POINT without quibbling over nuances caused by OMG!  --- inexperience on the part of the questioner?  

The answer is "NO! Because quibbling and making others look stupid is what makes my life important because I have so little in my life of significance!"

convert at chaeng wattana

You don't convert, you get a new visa.

Yes - of course - a distinction without much of a difference... but let us quibble ... the fricken result is the same regardless of the way one might state the obvious in this particular circumstance... Why oh why do so many people on TVF insist on being a bit OCD over such an insignificant issue ? ... Can any of you help the guy to reach the END POINT without quibbling over nuances caused by OMG!  --- inexperience on the part of the questioner?  

The answer is "NO! Because quibbling and making others look stupid is what makes my life important because I have so little in my life of significance!"

No quibbling, and not my intention to make others look ignorant or stupid, just stating factual technical and factual information. I did give advice on what he needed to do. Now, if that is too much for you, perhaps your are best suited to read sports or something?

If you do not like my posts, do feel free to put me on ignore, or contact a Moderator.

Edited by beechguy